Question about legality of purchasing guns.

I'd say about half the booths at our gun show are

private sales.... after you've been to a couple of shows it's easy to tell the difference between a FFL/store and a private FTF seller.

As prices go... usually a 'private' gun is going to go for 50-100 more than the same exact gun from a FFL.

"My concern is with the chance that a law is passed which bans guns, like that in San Francisco (which was struck down two years later by the court). With the San Francisco law, as well as others passed in other countries, DC, etc., the law requires gun owners to turn in their guns, or risk penalties."

this may be a stupid question but can this happen? can you be forced to give up your guns?, i was under the impression if a ban goes in place than you can no longer buy that type of gun legally, however if you already own that gun isn't it "grandfathered in" because you owned it before the ban?

thats just rediculous!!! how does that work they go down the list and just show up at your door? do they compinsate you for taking your gun?

i'm really curiouse about this - I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything but anyone with info on this please let me know, thanks

The gun range owner in town said they didn't even keep records of which guns belonged to which owners, so they're stockpiled in a warehouse in San Francisco. No compensation. No returns. Lost forever. The bill became law through popular vote of the citizens of San Francisco in 2005, but the California Supreme Court ruled a few weeks ago that the law was unconstitutional, and thus struck down. From what I've heard on GunTalk, no guns were "grandfathered" in. They were all confiscated.

Washington D.C. police have tried the same thing lately, but had no records. They went from house to house under the guise of taking guns out of the houses so the family members wouldn't have to confront the gun owner in the house. The D.C. cops didn't understand why people kept slamming doors in their faces. Maybe because it isn't their d*** business?

England and Australia have also had confiscatory gun bans as well, licensing only certain guns to certain people for hunting purposes. Even the cops don't have guns. The criminals that can't get guns have simply resorted to stabbing instead. The ones that can get guns have a major advantage over the police.

Personally, I'd rather be shot than stabbed.

I was talking to a guy at the range a while back, and he said that before he buys a gun from a private person, he gets the serial number and checks with the authorities if the gun is stolen. I didn't think to ask him which authority it was that he called.... but it sounds like a good idea if there is actually such an "authority" that will do the check at a citizen's request.

this may be a stupid question but can this happen? can you be forced to give up your guns?, i was under the impression if a ban goes in place than you can no longer buy that type of gun legally, however if you already own that gun isn't it "grandfathered in" because you owned it before the ban?

Grandfathering only applies if the law specifically allows for it. If a law were passed prohibiting ownership of item X without a grandfathering provision, then item X would be universally banned from ownership regardless of the date of purchase.

Replace "gun" with "drug" or "alcohol" and you can see how this has worked historically.

Back