Question about flat base vs boat tail bullets

I mostly shoot Hornady spft they and the rifle I shoot them out of are more accurate then I am.

However when I've shot similar spbt bullets, they are also more accurate than I am.

From my limited experience out to 600yds they act the same.

Flat Base vs Boat Tail bullets.

Flat Base - are more accurate when supersonic.

Boat Tail - are more accurate and efficient subsonic.

The Supersonic pressure wave negates any drag effect from the tail of a standard bullet. Boat tails are generally used to aid in production bullet seating.

What affects accuracy is how the bullet leaves the muzzle, and how the gasses (muzzle blast) affect it.

When a Flat Base bullet leaves the muzzle, it leaves immediately and cleanly. Gasses are directed out from the flat base perpendicular and away.

With a Boat Tail, the tail is still in the bore when the gasses are unsealed. The barrel is also vibrating, so the bore/bullet gap is also variable. These variable gasses are directed parallel, and then deflected off the tapered tail, imparting uneven perpendicular forces on the tail of the bullet while the tail is still in the bore, and as it exits.

Not an inherently good condition for precision.

When the bullets go transonic, the boat tail becomes much more efficient.

VLD bullet design may have improved supersonic ballistic coefficients, but they have not resolved the issue of bullet egress.

Red.

Is there any difference on preferred velocity? Seems like flat base bullets are more used in light weight varmint rounds that run at higher velocity, but I also use flat base in 300BLK and 7.62x39 which run at mid velocity and shoot great. I don't shoot long range!

Boat tail bullets are easier to seat in the case. My experience. Hold velocity a little better when you get out to about 9000 yards. Very important to most of us, especially in a 30-30.

Back