Quality Semi Automatic Sporting Clay/Skeet Gun

Try on a Benelli for size. They run flawlessly.

Yes, with the ammo that runs the gun, which is typically a warmer and heavier load that will run a gas gun. However, if you add some weight to achieve more recoil reduction or to better balance things out, then you have the real possibility of making the Benelli unreliable.
Don't get me wrong, they are great guns for what they were primarily designed for - nasty hunting conditions. If I was a waterfowler, they would be near, if not at the top, of my short list for a go-to gun.

That said, the topic was about a clay target gun. In this scenario, the "brother from a different mother", Beretta, is a better choice (and typically less expensive). I have 2 A400s, the blue smurf gun and the green 3.5" monster; and BOTH have handled my 3/4 reloads running 1275 with zero malfunctions of any kind now for several years. Neither the A5 nor the Benelli can do that. I have nothing to turn around or change, I can load a mixed variety from those 3/4 to 3.5" retina-detaching shoulder busters and they will all function flawlessly.
(Whether I would after 3.5" is debatable :eek:)

The few folks I know who use Benellis for clay targets need to shoot either hot 1oz loads or medium 1-1/8 loads (like the walmart stuff) to make their gun run without hiccups.

Rather than bicker about Inertia over gas guns...lets keep this in prespective, the OP is looking for a gun under $ 750 or so....

I have a Benelli Super Sport in 12ga .... and it will run 7/8 oz loads as long as they are at 1200 fps or faster...it will not run any load ( 1 oz, or 1 1/8 oz at 1150 fps )..and I think that is typical of most Inertia guns.

But the Super Sport models ...are $2,000 guns..../ so that isn't what he's looking for.

But there is nothing wrong with the Super Sports ( they're great training guns for young shooters - they're light ( 12ga 30" barrel is right at 7 lbs / 20ga 28" barrel is right at 6 lbs..) - and with Comfort Tech system in them, they shoot very softly. 10 yr old grandson...pretty skinny with limited upper body strength at this point...is shooting 3/4 oz 20ga loads thru the 20ga version -- working his way up to the 12ga with his 13 yr old brother...
------------------
OP would be better served by a gas gun...one of the Berettas or maybe a Browning Gold ( 12ga ) there are still some new in the box floating around even though it went out of production 4 or 5 yrs ago for around $ 750 if he can find one / or Browning Silver hunter series at at about $1,000 .

( I think I may be picking up a few of the Browning Silver Hunter series 12ga's ...for graduation gifts down the road...as a good solid starter gun for a high school kid ).

On the low end of the spectrum nothing can touch the Mossberg 930.

Remington 11-87 Sportsman's can also be found for around $500 - sometimes.

Either would serve the casual shooter very well.

yes OP franchi did manufacture the SPAS. franchi, and benelli for that matter, are owned by beretta. i know the franchi affinity is a inertia gun but a good quality one that can be had new in your $750 price range.

used remington 870,s and 1187,s can be bought here for 870,s for 300-350 and 1187,s for 400-450. what i always liked about the remington shotguns is you can buy all the parts for the 870-1187 except the reciever thru the mail and get them in a few days and even a semi mecanical(like me) can put them together. eastbank.

Back