Quality Semi Automatic Sporting Clay/Skeet Gun

stonewall50

So I am doing research on these for a gift. I am looking for some personal experiences and opinions on different guns out there for 12 gauge semi automatics that shoot light loads reliably and accurately. We are trying to stick to the lower end of the spectrum on price.

The groom in question we are buying this for is 6'0 or so. Not a giant, but not little. If that is a factor. He loves Remington 870s and he does kind of like the A5, but he already has one. So we are looking for something new. Any ideas?

Remington 1100 Sporting, Beretta A400, Fabarm XLR5, and Browning Maxus and Silver are the best looking ones that work, in my opinion. You also have the Mossberg 930, Winchester SX3, and new Remington V3.
All of them work if even decently maintained, but they feel considerably different. I would not recommend an inertia action for primarily light loads. Someone will come along and say theirs works great, but there are many tales of woe from people whose don't as well.

Remington 1100 Sporting, Beretta A400, Fabarm XLR5, and Browning Maxus and Silver are the best looking ones that work, in my opinion.

I agree, but then the OP mentioned:

We are trying to stick to the lower end of the spectrum on price

While typically mutually exclusive terms, the Mossberg might work. The A400 is a top gun - I own a few - but unless your lower end of the spectrum is about $1400, it ain't happenin'. And the Fabarm makes the Beretta look inexpensive.

lower end of the price spectrum is a relative term. i just purchased a franchi affinity and while not a gas gun i am impressed with it and one can be had for approx. $750.
good luck and i don't envy you at all. A gun is a very personal thing IMHO,
Eddie

lower end of the price spectrum is a relative term. i just purchased a franchi affinity and while not a gas gun i am impressed with it and one can be had for approx. $750.

good luck and i don't envy you at all. A gun is a very personal thing IMHO,

Eddie

Franchi? If I'm not mistaken...didn't they make the Spas? Lol. Anyway. I will give it s look. I always forget about some of the brands for shotguns.

i do like the rem 1100 and 1187,s. i bought my first one in 12ga new in 1969 for 159.00 and used it off and on for over 20 years and sold it to a friend and he still hunts with it, it has had no repairs other that a few rubber o-rings. i shoot a rem 1187 trap grade and i shoot 600 rounds between cleaning(the gas system-barrel and blow out the trigger group with compressed air). eastbank.

i do like the rem 1100 and 1187,s. i bought my first one in 12ga new in 1969 for 159.00 and used it off and on for over 20 years and sold it to a friend and he still hunts with it, it has had no repairs other that a few rubber o-rings. i shoot a rem 1187 trap grade and i shoot 600 rounds between cleaning(the gas system-barrel and blow out the trigger group with compressed air). eastbank.

How is the stock compared to an 870? Feel the same?

Sporting/Skeet /Guns

Weekly I see skeet guns,in the $700-17,000 price range being used.Clay target games are expensive!Joy quickly turns to frustration if using a gun that's not dependable nor built to take the pounding it will get.IMHO the Wrnchester SX3 is a proven value.Vetern shooters always helpful in these matters.:eek:Just for the record,I've shot Berettas and Brownings for over20yrs.Best of Luck , Skeets

I have a older Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays with light contour barrel, I shoot Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and skeet with it its been flawless zero problems, I do maintain it properly, fit and finish are great my favorite semi auto.

i put morgan adjustable pads on my non adjustable comb shotguns for the clay bird shots. and i think the fit on my 870-11-87 is pretty much the same, but the 11-87 in trap grade is heavier, i do like long barrels and long lenth of pull on my shotguns. eastbank.

The winchester sx3 sporting is a very good value. I've had one for 4 years now and it has worked flawlessly for me. I also have an sx2 sporting that I've had for many years and that has never had any problems either.

The sx3 is designed only for sporting games so lighter loads work well. I've run 7/8 Oz reloads thru mine and never had jam problems

Why? Used inertia guns aren't typically best for sporting clays

And why not? I've only done sporting clays once about 25 years ago, but, for a beginner I did ok, and I used my A-5.

Some are a lot lighter than others; that makes recoil a serious bother. Newer gas guns are typically better suited weight-wise and stock dimensions than the older field versions.
I'm only talking about in a target scenario.

Back