Quality of 70s-era Winchester 94s ??

My best friend bought a new Winchester 94 in 1970 for around $85.00 as I recall. He attached a 4X Bushnell scope with a side mount and has proceeded to topple scores of Pennsylvania whitetails with this accurate carbine. The original blueing upon the receiver is long gone but does not affect functionality or accuracy at all.

Jack

I own a 70s model 94 turdy-turdy. I'm disappointed that something like mine was allowed to be marketed. >I do consider mine junk!

Loose as a goose/ hollow pins/ pealing bluing/ a joke for a carrier (cartridge lifter) a main spring that makes its hammer feel like a rebounding one. I see no benefit in smoozing interested others into believing such Post 1964 94s were acceptable.

Thank goodness I do own another 30 wcf model 94s made prior to 1964. I can say without hesitation and in all honesty. "There most certainly is a world of difference between materials ,build and function a Pre 1964 has when compared to a Post 1964 model 94 that doesn't."

Hello SS,

Wow! Sorry to hear your 1970's Winchester 94 is such a disappointment.
Perhaps I got lucky as my circa 1971 (while it does have a "stamped" carrier) everything else appears to be righteous. That is the say, the Bluing is DARK Blue and looks fantastic, the Action is smooth and works without problem. The barrels bore is in PRISTINE condition. Perhaps this is due to (I suspect) this Rifle seeing very little use. I can only hope at least SOME of the issues you noted on your Rifle were beginning to be addressed by the time my Rifle was made in 1971.
At this point, the only modification I plan on doing to this Rifle is installing a Williams FP Peep sight as my 60 plus year old Eyes need help. I'm not sure if I should go with the TK (Target Knob) version (more expensive) or the more simple FP 94/36 (less expensive). I look forward to shooting this Rifle when time allows. Best of luck.

KAOS THE CAT

KAOS THE CAT, if you don't plan on changing the sight much once the gun is sighted-in, there's no reason that I can see to have bush-snagging Target Knobs on a hunting rifle. I have Williams "Fool Proof" receiver sights mounted on several of my hunting rifles, sans the target knobs, and have never missed them.
Receiver sights being used for target competition, when the sights are being adjusted often to address different distances to the target, accommodating varying wind conditions, using a diversity of ammunition/bullet weights, etc., is, of course, a different matter altogether.

Hi dg,

Thanks for your input on the Williams sight. I think I have to agree with you.....the less expensive (and I suspect slightly smaller) Williams FP sights make great sense. I do believe I WILL go this route. I'd like to sight it in and leave it alone! Thanks again.

KAOS THE CAT

KAOS, you can go even cheaper and simpler with the Williams 5D sight. Mine held zero for years on a Marlin 39 D. It provides just as good hole to look through.

I put a williams 5D on my Winchester and the bead front sight works without needing a taller front. I really need to replace the bead with a blade front but for the ranges I am using the gun the bead will work. And I already had the 5D sight on hand. And once its set it doesn't move. Only if you change ammo brands or bullet weights will you need to re-zero.

Hi guys,

Oooh yes, I completely forgot about the 5D. Thanks for the reminder.
Well then, I guess it's going to be between either the Williams 5D or FP.

KAOS THE CAT

Mine was made in 1979 and it's uglier than homemade sin. Most of the bluing is gone and the stock is scarred up but it doesn't rattle, it doesn't malfunction and it always puts meat on the table.

Well then, I guess it's going to be between either the Williams 5D or FP.

KAOS THE CAT, the 5D is basically the same unit as the FoolProof, sans the set-screws. Again, if your Model 94 will be used mostly for hunting and you won't be adjusting the sights once the rifle is sighted-in, the 5D, as thibaultfelix40 and ratshooter suggested, will work plenty well and save you some money to boot.

Back