Python... which finish?

Not only will it cost you a third that of a silly Python but it will actually last through a lifetime of shooting.

I'll be the first to agree - and I already have in this thread - that Python prices reflect collector value and if you want a shooter you shouldn't pay them and that for much less money you can get something that shoots better and will last longer.

jackmoser65 love the grips; where'd you get 'em? Rod
No idea, those aren't my pics. I found them in a web search. Sorry, I should've stipulated that. I am heretofore not technically proficient enough to take my own, let alone post them.

I hear folks say Pythons aren't durable or aren't worth the price. These folks are wrong (to a point). On Durability, they are extremely durable. The Python I bought dated 1957 with lots of finish wear was smooth as butter and the lockwork was tight and reliable. Yes, that's 1957! Smooth....as....butter. I'm sure you could buy a high-end S&W revolver and spend lots of time finding a gunsmith who will charge you lots of money to make it feels as good as a Python.

On price. At $2,000, a nice example is worth it. At $2,300 - probably still worth it. At $3,000+, I'm skeptical. At $4,000+, no thanks, I'll find a nice used Korth...maybe. There's a restored Korth with buy it now price of nearly $10K Gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607278030

I've heard Korth is your only alternative to finding an action as smooth and tight as a Python. I don't know, I've never been able to afford a Korth and no one is offering to let me play with theirs (heck, I don't even know someone around here who has one!). I've shot plenty of revolvers, none as nice as the Python. Did I happen to mention that mine is almost 60 years old? And works quite well? Colt gave it a refinish, but didn't need to do a thing to the action.

Last edited:
The Python I bought dated 1957 with lots of finish wear was smooth as butter and the lockwork was tight and reliable.
How many rounds had been through it? Finish wear is an indication of carry, not necessarily use.

I don't find anything particularly remarkable about the Colt action. Smooth, yes but it also stacks before it breaks. Spend a hundred bucks or so on a professional action job for a S&W and you'll have a slick action with a much quicker trigger return. Which is the reason why you see S&W's dominating competition and not Pythons.

How many rounds had been through it? Finish wear is an indication of carry, not necessarily use.

Who knows? It timed perfectly and locked up perfectly when I bought it. Bore was nice and shiny- inside of barrel looked like new. When I got it back from Colt, it felt like new. But, it sure didn't look new when I bought it - no scrapes or scratches, just discoloration of the bluing. It had ugly fake stag grips that looked to be from the '70's - I forgot the name of the company that used to make these (brain fart, but I'll remember).....fake stag on a base of wood.

It's a good revolver. I had three. Gifted one to my brother in law. Sold one. Still have a 6" Blue. I shoot my S&W PC revolvers more. I prefer the S&W action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stumbled across a Python Elite back in '06 or so for just under $1k in LNIB (unfired) condition. Needless to say, I bought it. It is a 4" blued model. I still haven't shot it after owning it for ~10yrs.

I bought a couple S&W revolvers to shoot while I keep my Python pristine.

As I've said here before, I've actually shot many thousands of full house rounds thru a Python. Almost 40 years later, it is perfectly ok. Obviously I don't let it read internet forum gossip. If it did, timing would go south in a minute.

I have 2 Royal Blue Pythons and found out a couple months ago that Colt has stopped servicing Pythons. I have re-retired mine for normal use. I would like to recommend the S&W 686 for more serious shooting. Not that there is anything wrong with the Python but people who can work on them properly are few and far between. The S&W 686 (Stainless) and 586 (Blue) will fit most holsters that the Python will fit. The trigger on the S&W is usually smoother and consistent all the way through the trigger pull. BTW I also have a 4" S&W 686-1 that I carried as one of my duty guns during my days in private security. I still consider that 686-1 the second best duty 357 Magnum I carried (my 6" Colt Python being the best). If I had to return to security duty with a revolver the 686-1 would be on my hip.

CAREFULLY cocked for single action and NEVER cylinder snapped and very little DA shooting and they will last for a long time.

Colt has, with allowances for primitive leaf springs. managed to do a creditable job of serving nicely as shooters.

However, Smith & Ruger have made a far better gun with coil springs.

But the Colts are..... purdy. :cool:

I carried a nickel 4" Python on the job back in the 70s. A lot of us carried nickel mainly for suspect management because we were allowed to purchase our own if we chose not to carry the blued colt or s&w issued 38 spl. When attempting to disarm an unruly suspect we really wanted the suspect to "see" the gun. When that large and "bright" Python cleared leather 999 times out of a thousand no further force was needed and usually lead to full compliance. (It was a much different time then). I had two nickel 4 inchers at different times and let both get away. My uncle has a 6" blued however that is simply gorgeous. If I outlive him I hope he wills it to me because that most likely will be the only time I ever acquire another python:D

Back