Python... which finish?

johnson184

Inactive
Looking to get a Python and I do plan on shooting it a decent amount. I figured a stainless would be best for durability and I find it still looks beautiful. But I've also been told that the earlier Pythons are of higher build quality. Is that true? Because I don't think stainless was introduced until the 80's.

Personally if you just want it for a shooter I would go with whatever you can find cheap.. and by cheap I mean one that's not $3000... be it blued or stainless. Worst case with blue you can always have it refinished if you desire. If its just a shooter you could probably reblue it and not feel bad. That would ruin collector value though.

If u plan on doing a decent amount of shooting I'd recommend getting something else then a python. You can get a pretty custom revolver built for python money.

Anything you can find at a good price. Seriously, depending on how wealthy you are finding an even "shooter grade" Python for under $3000 these days is a chore. The prices on them have skyrocketed due to the Walking Dead zombie TV show.

I agree with Venom1956 - "Python" and "shooting it a decent amount" don't go well together. I don't buy into the argument that they're necessarily more fragile than other guns out there, but if it does break it's going to be hard to find parts and even harder to find someone who knows how to fix it, and - if you start with one that's in good shape - it's going to eventually show some honest wear, which is going to be expensive if you're starting with a $2k-3k gun.

That said, a large part of the appeal of the Python, for me anyway, is that Colt Royal Blue finish which is just unequaled anywhere in gundom, so I think that's the way to go. I have one, in blue, in 99%+ condition, that I do shoot, but rarely and then only with .38 Special equivalent loads in .357 cases. It always draws a lot of adoring attention at the range, but making sure it stays in the condition it's in is a real PITA, so if I really want to shoot .357 I bring something else, usually a 586 or 686 - the latter being the one revolver to have if you're having only one, or want one you can shoot without worrying about it, IMHO.

Stainless is not more durable unless you are talking about finish wear or neglect. The True Python is Royal Blue and I don't mean the overbuffed current excuse.

I have shot Pythons in PPC, IPSC, and IDPA. They have held up fine.
But I consider S&W to be better shooters... now.
Forty years ago, a tuned Colt had a superior double action, but time has not stood still and a well set up Smith is lighter, faster, and equally smooth.

Current Python prices reflect collector value. If you want a practical shooter spend Python money on two or three nice new shooting guns that have parts supplies and don't need the attention a Python used to back when they were still practical as shooters.

That said, while other finishes are still nice, there's nothing like a Royal Blue Python.

I got an early Python and found it barrel heavy and of poor balance.

Then it's barrel cracked at the forcing cone. I took it to Colt in Hartford as I lived near there and watched them put a new barrel on.

The Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt was a much easier gun to shoot well and it's still good.

I remain a Colt Woodsman aficionado and shoot the 6" target and match target.

Woodsmantarget.jpg

For me there is only one finish for a Python, and that's Royal Blue. Anything else is gilding the Lilly, and stainless is an abomination.

YMMV

Colonel Colt's Revolving Holster Pistol of Magnum Caliber looks the best in Colonel Colt's Royal Blue finish, no doubt. I will say that much.

The Python was built on the old whatchamacallit ....... 38 Shooting Master frame ? Whichever model, it was built on a 38 frame. Just as the model 19 S&W was capable of shooting 357magnum, but not recommended for a steady diet of same.

The beefed up L frame 86 was introduced to replace the 19 for those who wanted to shoot 357 regularly. The Python is not recommended for a lot of 357 shooting.

I've had a few over the years, and was always leery of shooting the hot ammo in them. They have the old 'long' action, like the pre WWII Smith & Wessons. So if you like that long trigger pull, and want to shoot 38s primarily, you could do worse.

I think the blue is the most beautiful, but the nickel plated Pythons were mighty pretty as well. I'd still get a 586, or 686 if I wanted to do a lot of 357s.

Find one with a little finish wear, but otherwise a good shooter. I'd look for a blued model - they are easier to find in decent condition. FWIW, I have one Python from 1960 which has been shot some and it still looks 97%. A blued finish has its advantages - doesn't scratch as easily as stainless and holds up well as long as you keep wax or oil on it. Nickel is a good finish for a Python, too, but you will pay a good premium for a nice nickel Python.

I purchased a good shooter with bad surface finish wear that worked just fine (4-digit mfg 1957). Paid $1,000 for it a few years ago. Sent it to Colt for a refinish - they did a nice job on it. Now, it's too pretty to shoot.

And, for all those that hate refinished old Colts, believe me, no one ruined this Python by getting it refinished, and I can easily get more than what I have into it should I ever decide to sell it (which I won't). Plus, its a real looker! Too bad a '57 had such bad finish wear. It looked like someone spilled something on it that stripped big patches of bluing off of the cylinder, frame and part of the barrel. Not rusted and not scratched - just some kind of chemical loss of bluing.

Last edited:
I can't imagine spend $3k on a Python. A Freedom Arms, yes but not a freaking Python.

That said, a large part of the appeal of the Python, for me anyway, is that Colt Royal Blue finish which is just unequaled anywhere in gundom...
Gundom myth and legend. Royal Blue is just hot salt blue over a mirror polish, which can be accomplished by any good gunsmith/refinisher.

Royal blue looks best.

"SOLD" looks even better.

I've had em, TRIED to like em, and sold em every time.
Fragile lockwork, pretty finish, sexy profile, horrible grip.

The only reason I'd like to have them back would be to sell them to the present madness.

For ....SHOOTING..... Smith or Ruger will be shooting long after the Python is retired or sold.

I am amazed that people are paying GENUINE 1860 Army cap and ball price for a modern gun that is not even rare.

But..... if ya gotta have one.....ya gotta pay the fare.

Royal Blue is just hot salt blue over a mirror polish, which can be accomplished by any good gunsmith/refinisher

Emphasis on the GOOD. A S&W 27 from the good old days has a mighty fine finish but I've never seen anything like the Python Royal Blue, especially on a production gun. It's really something special.

Only if you're impressed by shiny things and look no deeper. Take off the rose colored glasses and you realize that all they did was polish every single part but the top rib and muzzle. A top rib which, by the way, was bead blasted on the Colt but hand checkered on the S&W. This picture is a great example of how poorly many Colt's were polished. Look at how wavy the flat surfaces are. How the edges are rounded off, particularly on the frame around the barrel shank. Those surfaces are only supposed to curve in one direction. All the holes, flutes and bolt notches are dished out. I had two of these many years ago and once you do a good bit of shooting with them, they don't seem quite so shiny. My only regret is that I did not wait until now to sell them.

If you want a medium frame 357 that is beautiful and shoots well with a slick action, get an older 586 and have it professionally tuned. Not only will it cost you a third that of a silly Python but it will actually last through a lifetime of shooting.

488639815_p3pYe-L.jpg

Back