Putting my left index finger on the trigger guard

Although the finger on trigger guard has fallen out of favor, there are probably better things to do than to try to break a longstanding habit. You might find yourself between two stools and flip flop indecisively between on and off.

Somewhat related anecdote: From 1997 til 2005, IDPA could require a Tactical Reload with magazines exchanged at the gun and a Reload With Retention with old magazine pocketed before the reload not allowed. They were declared equivalent in 2005. But I will STILL habitually do the Tac Load even though I have practiced the RwR.

Trigger guards were never intended to be grips. Remember, just because something has serrations or stippling on it doesn't mean you should grip it!:D

Interesting note.... My Glock 33 will jam *every single time* I put my left finger on the front of the trigger guard if I use any kind of force at all. I mean *at all*. A normal "grip" with that finger and the gun will stove pipe every single round.

Hi, Radny97,

Whether the blast can hurt depends a lot on the gun, caliber and how it is held; I have seen folks pick up some nasty peppering and prefer to keep my finger out of the way but again, to each his own.

Jim

My cz100 had a textured front on its trigger guard as well.
I also started gripping it. Subsequent pistols of mine didn't have it, so I stopped, but it felt pretty natural. I don't think it was to blame for my bad shooting as I still am very mediocre.

Back