Purchasing a Handgun

Almost all of my guns were purchased used either from LGS or at gun shows. The tiny handful I have purchased new were all ordered over the internet because they were on sale for an extremely attractive price.

Since my boss has now opened his own gun store as a side business all of my future new purchases are likely to be LGS. Otherwise I have to explain to the guy who signs my paychecks why I didn't buy from him.

Barring that, if the price was close enough at the LGS compared to some on-line deal I would buy local. A few bucks doesn't much matter one way or the other but supporting my local LGS does.

Since I gravitate towards older all my guns have been local gun shop or a few rifles new at retail stores. Living here in NE Ohio I just walk in, see the gun, instant check and leave with my gun. I do like to look the gun over before I buy it.

Ron

Jacket67, Like most I guess, I'd prefer to actually examine a potential purchase before buying. I've always said that if I could get the base price of the gun locally within a hundred $ or so of buying online, I would buy local. Unfortunately, the guns I have been interested in have been at least $200.00, and more like $300.00 or more locally, than online. Several moths ago, I was in a shop and saw a new gun that I liked. Examined it for fit, finish, etc. Appeared excellent in all respects. Bought it on the spot, paying 100+ dollars more than online, before taxes. After tax, $100++ dollars more. It has been a great gun and I don't regret it one bit. But with limited selection, shop disinterest and/or inability to get anything for me not already in stock, and rather painful local prices, most of my purchases have been online since I discovered this thing called the Internet;)

Most guns I have bought from a local gun shop layely have been one not so local. the evil gun shoo lady's store is about 175 miles away. only go in when I am up thete fishing, or hunting. Good thing for my bank account. Bad thing for my bank account is she has a very nice website, and a shelf in the back room with my name on it. For when I call her, and tell her to put xyz "on the shelf", and I'll pick ot up when I get up there

Gunshop

We have a great local sporting goods store here. My last two have come from them. I'd rather support the locals as long as the difference in cost is reasonable. If the price difference is two digits I'm down with the locals on anything less than 1 K.
Funny about a previous poster's comment about his boss opening a gun store. My old boss years ago was also a Kitchen table dealer, back in the pre internet days. Several of us would be anxiously awaiting the next edition of Shotgun News so Russ could order our new toys. God I miss that man, RIP Russ.

If any of ya'll are in the Longview WA area Bob's sporting goods is a great store.

I used to be a big proponent of supporting my lgs. But after all the price gouging that happened over the last few years, I figure to heck with those thieves. I mostly purchase from private local sales. No tax, no shipping, and no FFL fees. Easy peasy, lot of nice lightly used guns out there at very reasonable prices.

Back