Purchasing a Handgun

Jacket67

Hey TFL,

In a couple of weeks, I'll be turning 21 and soon thereafter be purchasing my first handgun (I can barely contain my excitement). I've narrowed my choice to 2 guns, and will decide which one I will purchase after another range trip with both options. Anyway, my question is about the best way to go about buying the firearm. Almost always, the guns are significantly cheaper through online vendors. That being said, it kinda stinks to "buy" the gun, then have to wait for it to arrive to an FFL and then pay the transfer fee before taking it home. It's also a little concerning to buy a gun without seeing the one I plan to buy in person. But I know the companies who sell online are known for reputable business (Buds Gunshop for an example).

How do you prefer to buy handguns? Is the lower price worth buying online, or is being able to actually hold the firearm you will buy and walk out with it that day the better option?

Thanks in advance.

The margin on guns is pretty thin for the retailers. I compare the cost of shipping and FFL to local sales tax, and what service I'm willing to pay for.

It's nice to have someone local who can help you but the value of that is dropping with forums, youtube and vendor websites.

Bottom line is you need to do the math and look at the convenience, and since this would be your first, it might make a lot of sense to buy it local if the price isn't too much above on-line.

Of the firearms I own, about 1/3 were purchased directly at a LGS, 1 of which was a used revolver. The other 2/3 were purchased on-line, 2 of which were used pistols.

I have not had a bad experience with on-line purchases as yet. Be aware that with a majority of retailers, if you buy the gun, take it home and have a problem, you won't be able to take it back to the retailer. You will usually have to deal with the firearm manufacturer.

If you buy a gun on-line, when you go to do the transfer at the FFL, examine it closely for damage and make sure it is what you ordered. If it is not, do not accept it and have the FFL return it to the seller.

My parents owned a mom and pop hunting shop in a small town, they treated the customers that bought firearms and supplies from them by given them special deals instead of the person that would only come in because his big box store didn't have it or was out of it.

When I moved to another state I found a local shop and do all my shopping there, yes I may pay a little more but they know there stuff better than a college kid at a big box store and give me special offers and when ammo is limited they hold stuff behind the counter for there regulars.

So my opinion would be to find a local shop and go there.

I prefer to buy through private sales. Buying from a gun show is another way. Online buying is my third choice, and lastly, I'll buy from a local store if it's a good deal on a used gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you prefer to buy handguns?

I have a couple local small FFLs that I have long standing relationships with. I prefer to buy through them. I want them to stay in business.

Is the lower price worth buying online, or is being able to actually hold the firearm you will buy and walk out with it that day the better option?

Unless you know something's going to work for you, it's better to be able to inspect and handle an example ahead of time.

be purchasing my first handgun (I can barely contain my excitement). I've narrowed my choice to 2 guns

Don't be afraid to make a mistake, and don't be afraid to admit it if you have and move on.

Jacket67 -- Since you seem to be contemplating a new firearm it's really just an arithmetic matter. Price of the gun and what it costs to get you out the door with it. Tax ? FFL -- varies ? Shipping or not ? Background check or no ? Plus I'd encourage you to negotiate "What $$ do you have to have for the gun "?

I don't know about you but I love pretty walnut. -- so even with new guns wood can vary a bunch. Buy what blows your skirt up in the final analysis !!

.02. David. :D

Where I'm at the LGS have their guns way over-priced - super retail. I'd like to be able to walk into a LGS and get a good deal on a gun and walk out with it. Its just not happening where I'm at. And, this, with an understanding that I'll pay a little bit more at a LGS and I don't mind. But their prices are abusive when comparison shopping against gunbroker.com or checking on gunwatcher.com.

I have found gun shows are a great place to browse and handle the gun you might have an interest in. And occasionally you'll find a good price at a gun show.

All in all, I'm very pleased with online purchases and have never had a problem with any of them. The FFL I use is five minutes from my house and charges me $9 transfer fee.

With a new gun i prefer to be able to handle it at a shop, but I've bought plenty of used guns from individuals and companies online. If a local FFL has the gun and it's a reasonable price buy it there. If your local store don't have the gun or the price is unreasonable to through an online vendor.

I prefer to buy from a local shop, especially since there are so few in my area and they depend on the support. I also like to be able to fondle my prospective purchases before deciding.

Most order from a distributor, so getting something in that is not on display is not much of an issue usually.

Pricewise, IMO by the time you factor in price, shipping, transfer, and tax you are not really saving all that much shopping online.

But for a first firearm, unless you have experience evaluating what you are examining or a trustworthy person to buy from, private party would not be my first choice. Then again, I am not generally a trusting person.

Last edited:
There is a shop in town that I frequented and bought a lot of firearms from, if we traded I always made sure he came out on top as I knew he has a family and business to keep afloat.
I obtained a C&R license and bypassed the shop until one day I had two old ( but not quite old enough) pistols sent to the shop on his ffl. When my supposed friend told me the cost of transfers, tax and " handling fee " (his) I decided quite quickly to never enter his shop again.
I developed a friendship ( beyond transferring firearms) with another ffl and pay a small flat fee on each modern weapon acquired.

Military surplus and police turn-ins are typically the best deals, imho. I mostly buy used and mostly from Gunbroker. I normally pay about $20 for shipping and about $20 to my local gun store for receiving the firearm.

I'm not many here. I prefer to support my LGS, though one of the largest and oldest in town will never get my business.

I was looking around for my concealed carry gun, and I knew what I wanted. I wanted to have a manual thrumb style safety, as that is my personal preference. Several "clerks" at this particular store flat out told me that I didn't want the safety, and that in a stressful situation I would surely forget to remove it, therefore making my defensive weapon all but useless. I smiled and walked out of the store, knowing that I would never return. I believe that the safety argument is all about training... I train to have the muscle memory to remove the safety as I'm bringing the weapon to bear on my target, and I'm confident that I won't forget to remove the safety when needed. Bottom line, I don't like someone telling me what I do or do not want, as that is my decision, not theirs.

To the OP, I would visit several of your LGS and talk to those who are running them. Explain to them that you're looking to buy your first gun, and go from there. It usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to determine if you like the folks in the store, and you can talk about prices, transfer fees, etc while you're there.

Good luck

Exco

Whenever possible I try and support the local economy. This gives me the chance to inspect the handgun before I put my money up, also I don't have to pay shipping and FFL fees, which can up.

I buy mostly online, and mostly used guns. I've had good experiences with this. There isn't much on a little used gun that is difficult to fix, except sometimes the finish if it's badly rusted or marred.

Fortunately, the only thing I ever had to have fixed was a broken sear on a custom STI 2011 I purchased at a live auction. In that case, I was able to work the action on the gun, but didn't discover the problem until later.

I'm an aspiring curmudgeon and I purchase almost always online. The small LGS are too cliquish and the Big Boxes are more expensive and less knowledgeable.

If you already know which gun you will be buying, there is no reason to buy from a store, if the price is lower online. You gotta figure out the price points.

Something noobs don't understand is that if you run into issues with the gun, you're not going to be able to return it at the store 99% of the time, unless you're really tight with the LGS owner. Still going to have to send it back to the factory 'cause it ain't a toaster that you bought at Wally World.

You don't say what kind of gun you are considering, nor whether you are looking to buy new or used. Used, I would never buy without being able to hold in my hand and examine first. Still, most times you can examine and refuse to accept a gun bought online before having it transferred by your local FFL. While some online gun prices seem cheaper, one has to figure in shipping cost and the cost and time of the drive to the FFL the gun ships to. Sometimes it's nicer just to pay a few dollars more and walk out of the store after getting your best deal from your local business. Many times, I buy local after researching prices on a specific firearm online. Researching before you buy gives you a good idea of whether you are getting a good deal or not and the relative differences in prices between models and manufacturers. Buying local may or may not give you some form of support if there are problems with the gun after purchase. Most new guns have a warranty, but some warranties are better than others. Again, this is something you need to research before you purchase and it can affect what you choose. Online reviews of most gun models are readily available and can be very helpful if one is torn between a coupla models or just curious. Read all you can find on the specific model tho, not just the first one you come to.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy and shoot safely.

Really depends. Here in Colorado the local gun shops, like everything other vendor in this state, are pathetically overpriced and I couldn't care less if they went a way. All of my purchases are online at an average savings in the neighborhood of 40-50%.
On the flip side, my parents are in southern Indiana, 3 local gun shops near them are all priced very fairly and they would get all of my business and they do get all of my dad's business.

I am definitely looking to buy new. Once I have a few firearms I truly trust, then I'll look at buying used. As for the models, I'm deciding between the xdm 3.8 compact 9mm, and the Sig Sauer sp2022 in 9mm. The Sig both in-store and online is usually $400-$480 from what I have seen. The xdm, however, is way over-priced at places like Academy and Gander Mountain (only 2 stores near me), but is much cheaper online.

Back