Pulled over & a passenger scenario

I can only speak for myself and with the caveat that there is no CCW in Chicago. But, if you are a neatly dressed and polite/cooperative citizen with a permit that you had to jump thru hoops to prove your are a legit guy why wouldn't a reasonable Copper give you the benefit of every doubt.

In Kentucky you are not required to divulge.
Really it isn't their business. A traffic stop is a minor offense and the officer doesn't need to know if you are carrying.

I am an LEO in NC. Your CC permit pops up when I run your plate, but I personally prefer to be told if you are carrying or not.

That said Im inclined to cut permit holders "some slack" ;)

In SC I'm only required to inform if I'm asked for ID or driver's license (and am carrying). So if I'm a passenger I'm going to speak only if spoken to and I will inform only if asked for ID/DL. My thought is that traffic stops are stressful enough for the officer. Knowing there's a gun in play is going to immediately increase the stress level. No need to do that in my estimation. I actually recently wrote my state rep. and senator and explained why I think the duty to inform does not actually make the officer any safer. I'd love to see that law changed eventually.

FALaholic, that's pretty much what I've been told after calling my sheriff. Although mandatory as the driver, officers prefer the courtesy of being informed instead of being caught off guard, not so much in a simple moving violation. However if a vehicle search is about to begin, let it be known.

Lying to LEO, even lies of omission, is generally a VERY bad idea.

On the other hand..

Blurting out "I HAVE A CC CARD" and interupting the officer's pullover "spiel" is also a bad idea, not so much as a matter of law, as of common sense.

If you're carrying: yes!

If not: no, or use good judgement.

""My state recognizes open carry only, and prohibits it in your vehicle, but if a police officer stops you on the street, sees that you are armed, he is within his rights to draw down,""

What state is this?? We may want to avoid this one!!

Now that I think about it, it must be WISCONSIN..

I don't know of ANY state where it is OK for an officer to DRAW on someone simply because they are armed! That's ridiculous!:rolleyes:

I believe here in Ohio you have the duty to tell the Officer when you come in contact. I would say being a passenger applies here. Better to err on the side of safety.

When I got my CCW, the officer/instructor told us to only pony up the card when we are carrying. Otherwise, not. He also told us that it was attached to our drivers license, as it has the license number printed on it. No mention of an attachment to the license plate. However, true or not, a Catawba County judge told a friend of mine some years ago that a citizen can carry a gun, loaded or not, in their vehicle as long as it is in no way "hidden or covered", to me that means openly on the passenger's seat or on the dash. Two years ago a state man pulled me, I had a loaded pistol on a small shelf on the dash-out of view to the public, but open to him. I informed him as soon as he walked up and greeted me. He didn't get nervous, said that is fine. Last year I went thru a road check and was on my way home from my hunting club-had deer corn and other hunting stuff in the truck. Gun was lying on top of my folded coat on the seat in plain view. Officer only asked it's "loaded status". I told him I had it, and he said he had already seen it. So, I produced the CCW. All was well. I'm in North Carolina, also.

in ohio

in ohio, driver is required to advise if he/she is armed, to include any weapons in care/control/custody. language in the statute does not include weapons in the passenger compartment in the possession of passengers, who are not obliged to inform officer of concealed weapon, unless asked, in which case they are obliged to respond honestly, just as they'd be if stopped for jaywalking. good judgement would indicate if the officer is not verbally engaging you, do not engage the officer. speak when spoken to.

To Koolminx

"I don't know of ANY state where it is OK for an officer to DRAW on someone simply because they are armed! That's ridiculous!"

That’s ok in all states! The situation dictates the response. Officers have been ambushed on even the most minor calls. I have even heard of a petit larceny complainant shooting and killing an officer after he responded to handle the job. That was on a teletype not Oprah by the way. The moral of the story is we don’t know who you are or what you are about! All we see is the chance that we don't go home and that’s just not going to happen. I don’t know what you do for a living but I bet you don’t have to deal with that stress.

traffic stop in Utah

A few years back I was driving around Salt Lake on the freeway at about 4:30 AM heading back home to Oregon. I was pulled over by a Utah State Trooper for speeding. His opening statement was something like "I pulled you over for going xx in a xx mph zone. First of all do you have any weapons or drugs in the vehicle?" I answered that, no, I don't have any drugs and, yes, I have a weapon, do you want to see it? (I was carrying my Rossi .357 at the time.) He quickly answered, "No, no, no. I don't want to see it". I then said that I have a permit, do you want to see that? He said yes, so I handed it to him along with my license, reg., and insurance. He went back to his car and wrote me out my ticket. While there I'm sure he ran my plates. Don't know whether or not my CC permit showed up on his computer. Before he got out of his car to give me my ticket he called out over his loudspeaker for me to stick both my hands out the window and keep them there. (Can't blame him at all for requiring me to do that.) He gave me my ticket, said to have a nice day, and that was it.

I was really impressed by his professionalism. I wouldn't want his job.

Back