Timeframe

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Public 'threatened' by private-firearms ownership
Government argues gun restrictions 'permitted by the 2nd Amendment'

Posted: January 14, 2008
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Paul Clement

Since "unrestricted" private ownership of guns clearly threatens the public safety, the 2nd Amendment can be interpreted to allow a variety of gun restrictions, according to the Bush administration.

The argument was delivered by U.S. Solicitor General Paul D. Clement in a brief filed with the U.S. Supreme Court in the ongoing arguments over the legality of a District of Columbia ban on handguns in homes, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.

Clement suggested that gun rights are limited and subject to "reasonable regulation" and said all federal limits on guns should be upheld.

"Given the unquestionable threat to public safety that unrestricted private firearm possession would entail, various categories of firearm-related regulation are permitted by the 2nd Amendment," he wrote in the brief, the Times reported.

He noted especially the federal ban on machine guns and those many other "particularly dangerous types of firearms," and endorsed restrictions on gun ownership by felons, those subject to restraining orders, drug users and "mental defectives."

His arguments came in the closely watched Washington, D.C., ban that would prevent residents from keeping handguns in their homes for self-defense.

(Story continues below)

Paul Helmke, of the pro-gun control Brady Campaign to Prevent Handgun Violence, told the Times he salutes the administration for its position.

But Alan Gura, who is heading up the challenge to the handgun ban, told the newspaper he was troubled Clement suggested more hearings on the case.

"We are very disappointed the administration is hostile to individual rights," he told the paper. "This is definitely hostile to our position."

Because of the specifics of the D.C. case, the ultimate ruling is expected to address directly whether the 2nd Amendment includes a right for individuals to have a gun, or whether local governments can approve whatever laws or ordinances they desire to restrict firearms.

The amendment reads, "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Clement is the Bush administration's chief lawyer before the court, and submitted the arguments in the case that is to determine whether the D.C. limit is constitutional. He said the 2nd Amendment, "protects an individual right to possess firearms, including for private purposes unrelated to militia operations," and noted the D.C. ban probably goes too far.

But the newspaper said most of Clement's new brief urges the Supreme Court to decided most current restrictions on guns and gun owners cannot be overturned by citing the 2nd Amendment.

He said the failing in the D.C. law is that it totally bans handguns in the homes of private citizens. But he urged the court to recognize, "Nothing in the 2nd Amendment properly understood … calls for invalidation of the numerous federal laws regulating firearms."

The Justice Department long had endorsed gun controls until Attorney General John Ashcroft in 2001 switched the department's position to support individual gun rights, the Times said.

The court's hearing on the case has not yet been held.

Clement clerked for Associate Justice Antonin Scalia and worked as chief counsel to the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, Federalism and Property Rights. He joined the Department of Justice in 2001 and moved into his current position in 2005.

--

His argument is based on a false premise from the beginning.

Isn't that one of the primary methods of writing effective propaganda?

"Since [Insert arbitrary belief or practice here] is unquestionably [PICK ONE: unpatriotic / contrary to our value system / dangerous / threatening / perverse], the government should..."

:rolleyes:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Do you read that in this statement?

A well regulated militia, (under control of the state) being necessary to the security of a free State, (if the states freedom and security is threatened by foreign or domestic enemies it can call out the militia) the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (since the state has and needs a miltia to protect its security, the people need arms to protect themselves in case the state threatens their freedom and security)

At least thats the way I like to" interpret "it:)

Why do people insist on reading words into the Constitution that are simply not there? A FREE STATE is vary clear to me! No place Does it mention the government, Other then the State, We the People Are the State! We Make It, We Are It, We Control It!

It amazes me how many people think we work for the government!

I Know we do now, but we should not!!!! We The People are suppose to be in control. :D

We The People are suppose to be in control

We only have control over how we cast our votes.

This is a constitutional republic and power rests with those elected to serve.

If they turn on us we have the means to resist.

So far in times of (except for the civil war) constitutional crisises bloodshed has been avoided, but you never know.

Me must preserve and defend the Second Amendment, it is crucial to maintaining our freedom.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.- Ronald Reagan

Restless the people are becoming...

Let them eat cake? I have to say people are a lot more doom and gloom these days, this forum for example thought that our rights being infringed on was just an imaginary thing. Until they actually started pushing and pushing and winning and winning. Only a matter of time my friends I hope whatever happens we make an about-face back towards the right path instead of fall into complacency and control.

Epyon

Because we have a problem we will, instead of proposing difficult and perhaps costly solutions, go for an easy answer that probably won't do anything but plays to popular fears and makes us look tough on crime.
Oh and as a side benefit makes money for one or more of our supporters.

A well regulated militia, (under control of the state) being necessary to the security of a free State, (if the states freedom and security is threatened by foreign or domestic enemies it can call out the militia) the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (since the state has and needs a miltia to protect its security, the people need arms to protect themselves in case the state threatens their freedom and security)

IMHO, your interpretation is too focused on the state and its needs.

Well-regulated in the 18th century meant properly equipped, trained, and disciplined, meaning that the members of the militia were to have military weapons and know how to use them. The meaning of the word "regulated" has changed over the centuries to mean "state control" or "controlled by the authorities" in the present.

So the people have an inalienable right to keep and bear arms both to meet their obligations to defend self, community, and/or country as well as to deprive the state of a monopoly on force in the event that the state no longer respects the rights of the citizens.

The 2nd Amendment really bothers authoritarians in general because it specifically recognizes a right to conduct paramilitary activity on the part of citizens which is not specifically ordered and conducted by the state, and may actually take place in opposition to the state in the event that the state is not free. It's probably the most radical law ever written since it enshrines in law the right on the part of the citizens to freely own and practice with the instruments of the state's destruction and the state isn't allowed to do anything about it if it follows its own rules.

The laws are made for criminals

Nope, laws are made to justify the purpose of those who continue to make them and solidify the personal agendas designed into them that would otherwise be just another opinion. :rolleyes:

He noted especially the federal ban on machine guns and those many other "particularly dangerous types of firearms,"

Like what, all semi-autos? Anything black? Anything with a pistol grip?

and endorsed restrictions on gun ownership by felons,

As long as they're on probation/parole, maybe. After that don't they have the same right to self-defense as anybody else?

those subject to restraining orders,

I suppose this might qualify as due process, though I have no experience with it so I don't know how easy it would be to remove somebody's rights this way.

drug users

Will this include legal prescription drugs, many of which are just as mind-altering and/or addictive as some of the illegal varieties...or just people that smoked a joint once upon a time?

and "mental defectives."

And here we get to a fun one, because it all comes down to who gets to define it. Provided a heavy due process burden is met, I really can't argue with it though.

In the end, I'd agree that all manner of restrictions (or, before you quote it, infringements) might be Constitutional, provided they meet the standard of strict scrutiny. The government can deprive you of life given due process, I don't see how firearms rights are any more sacred than that.

Rangefinder...you are correct but my view of today's gun laws are just here to make it easier for criminals to do it again and again, in the old days it would be much different....................................:eek:

Back