Psychology: Carrying Concealed Weapons

I NEVER respond that I'm licenced. I'm not a dog, and I don't need distemper and rabis shots. And IMO expressing it in such a way is telling people that the infringement that we tolerate right now is perfectly alright and legal.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited October 08, 1999).]

I agree with John/az/2, however, in the interest of info sharing, I carry "gray", don' need no stinkin' license, mon! As such, I will only use the weapon in the direst extreme, and usually, with no witnesses except the AIQ. I do not recommend this mindset to everybody, but for a question such as how valuable is your or your family's life, you have to make your mind up for yourself, or else somebody else will. That was my decision, after due deliberation. :)

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I've carried since I became wheelchair bound, But I've only had a CWP for almost 2 years. I carry everywhere I go, I don't think about it, But I know it's there if I need it. Ten years and it has never been pulled, Because if it comes out it's comeing out smokeing!

------------------
FREEDOM AIN'T FREE!

Sometime back in the '60s (that's 1960s, Dennis) I was grumping about Texas' laws on handguns to an LEO friend. His response was, "It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

So...

Now, given how long I've been messing with guns, I'm so used to having one around or on that I don't really feel aware of it. Sure, it's there, but it's kinda like socks or a belt--I notice the lack more than the presence.

With or without, I've come to live in Condition Yellow--with no quivers, shakes nor ulcers.

I've always figured non-confrontational is better. A generally low profile helps avoid a lot of trouble. I'll never be macho nor eager about helping out a third party in trouble, but I'd do it.

By and large, I'm in tune with the previous posters...

Many good points have been made.

I would also suggest that if you are
going to carry and can afford it, you
take a serious course that touches both
on the use of firearm for self-defense
and gives you realistic experience in
various civilian scenarios.

For TX options - go to the www.tsra.com
web site and look for the article I wrote.

Your eyes will open with training. You
become very serious and not at all a
commando/rambo.

Glenn http://www.enconnect.net/cyberguns

I wear a seat belt whenever the car moves and a helmet whenever the motorcycle moves. I wear my Glock (23 usually, but sometimes G27, G29, or G20) whenever I'm out of bed. The chance I will need any of those safety measures is slim to none but, as Jeff Cooper says, "Statistics are cold comfort if your case happens to be the isolated exception." Don't worry about being seen because, if you are truly carrying concealed, no one should notice. Only my wife and God know I'm carrying and no one else has ever known.

------------------
OJ
NRA LIFE MEMBER

You really wake up to reality when you are standing five from the governor of the state in a public place with a loaded gun stuck in the back of your pants. Whew! Then I thought;why should I feel awkward this is how a truely free society is supposed to be. Others have nothing to fear from law abiding citizens. I would advise anyone who can make the commitment of responsibility to carry their guns if they can legally. I welcome you. Do all you can to urge passage of the laws if they don't exist in your state. Move here if you can't get it done where you live now. I welcome you here also.

I have one thing I would like to clarify, but I think it is important enough to bring up. My mindset is no different when I have my guns on than when I don't have my guns on. Not a single bit. So, maybe in a way, this is kind of a trick question. If anything, there's only a slight difference in logistics (eck, I have to stop using silly terms) and maybe a shift in tactics if SHTF.

Paul: I feel more secured if I have a gun tucked on my waist. I will always have the thinking that I have a leverage to any situation that endanger my life.

Yes, I am consciously think about it while I am carrying – to avoid of being detected, or snatch by someone who is interested to it (I am referring the bad guys). While carrying I am also aware of my surroundings if someone is aware of it.

I don’t feel more confrontational but I have more confidence to face any danger which I could depend on my weapon -- to neutralize the danger or stopped it completely.

I consider it as a deterrent. If a person is armed and a criminal see it, it will give him a chance to think it over if he will go ahead of his criminal intent. We should note that a criminal if possible wants to avoid any thing that endanger his life also like ours who are law abiding, so a criminal want to avoid confrontation as we do if possible.

In some areas, better not have a weapon because if you do have, the more you are endangering your life. You may asked me what is this kind of statement. Example, in my country, in some rural areas where there are communist guerillas are, you must not have a weapon it is better, because they will come and take it directly to your house and you do not like to endanger our life or families in fighting a squad of them . In cities yes, you can fight any one that want to take your life whoever he is because there are many government agencies to come for help.

I am never being tempted to draw my gun if I am carrying with me. I had already a knife confrontation to a petty criminal and I have my 9MM tucked on waist but I did not use it. To my own judgement on that incident I don't need to use my gun because I can tackle the problem with knife to knife. So, I consider only my gun as an instrument of last resort for me to defend myself.

My experience carrying is simialar to my experience with martial arts. It gives you a feeling that you don't have to prove yourself anymore because you are confident in what you could do if the situation required it. When you know how a story will end you normally don't care to read it.

I think you will also find that those who CCW are always analyzing their environment. I think that trate is what leads one to CCW. Those who are oblivious to there surroundings and walk around with blinders on ussually become victoms. My years living on the streets of Manhattan have shown me how crimminals (like dogs) can sense someone who is afraid and unattentive. Just the mere appearance of being alert will discourage most crimminals from choosing you as their next victom.

I am always aware that I am carrying my gun but even more aware when I am not.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

First off I'll be glad to respond to your question. Secondly, for some reason my gut tells me that I would neither like nor trust you should we ever meet. You may simply be just what you said (interested and inquisitive) but I certainly sense much more than meets the eye.

Do I think about my weapon while I carry?
Yes

Do I take a protectionist attitude?
I always have and always will operate in condition "YELLOW" in that I am constantly striving to be aware of my surroundings and to be alert to situations as they may unfold. This is not paranoia. The weak and unaware gazelle is always the first to be eaten. I ruthlessly protect that and those which belong to me.

Am I more or less confrontational?
Less. I never start a fight. However, the gravity of every situation is different when you carry than when you do not.

Do I run what if scenarios?
You bet I do. You are never fully prepared unless you have gone through mind training. Do you tell your family what to do and where to go in case of a fire?

Am I concerned about the weapon being seen?
Yes. One should be.

Am I tempted to draw the weapon?
No

What would I say if someone saw the weapon and said something about it?
That would depend on the person and the situation. I would owe the police, the clergy or other well respected officials a different answer than I would owe some knee-jerk who was simply to un-informed or to immature to deal with the fact that I carry. In the worst case I'd simply tell them that I am legal and that they should tend their own business.

Do I think every law-abiding citizen should have the right to carry?
Now that one is tricky. Their are thousands of law-abiding citizens in this country who are absolute idiots and who have no business carrying or even being near a gun. Sadly, this was evident during my certification training. I am qualified due to experience, training and my up-bringing. In my house the gun and the bible shared the same place on the hearth. I have been deeply involved with hunting and shooting my entire life and I know the true responsibility of carrying and using. I do not know what the determining factor should be for those who could pass certification but who obviously do not need to carry. Scarry in a way.

Do I just not think about my weapon at all?
No. I think about it every step I take. I hope I never reach the day when I feel no more strongly towards my weapon than I do towards my watch or the pen in my pocket.

One may not use a higher level of force than the attacker is using on them. The only time you are justified in drawing and/or using your weapon is when you have a substantial fear of death or serious bodily injury to yourself, your spouse or children or for an innocent third party who is unable to defend and protect themselves. Those who intend to be responsible in concealed carry should use the following as their primary MO.

Presence = presence
Verbal threats = verbal persuasion/commands
Physical assault = physical defense
Deadly Force = Deadly Force

Anything less puts you, your family, innocent bystanders and your right to carry at extreme risk.

Hope that helps.

max-ex

Back