Psychological vs. Physiological

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you come up with that?

A person is not by definition a criminal until he victimizes someone. You can't use deadly force to protect yourself unless justified, so how would you justify deadly force if not being attacked to the level that deadly force is the appropriate response?

I can only speak of 40 years of dealing with criminals. Maybe they are nicer where you live.

well said..

I will add : there are criminals who deal in violence, expect to do violence, expect resistance and have come to terms with the fact that its part of business. Then there are criminals who behave criminally and boldly only when risks and resistance are low. How someone responds to the display of a weapon will significantly depend on the nature of the criminal not some stat in a book.

On Stats.. please remember that stats are derived from facts and circumstances which are reported. There can easily be more unreported violent happenings than reported violent happenings so just keep that in mind when you consider stats and something important. There are neighborhood where gun fire can regularly go unreported and there are neighborhoods on the other side of town where people call 20 times a night about noisey stereos.

A person is not by definition a criminal until he victimizes someone. You can't use deadly force to protect yourself unless justified, so how would you justify deadly force if not being attacked to the level that deadly force is the appropriate response?
In many areas, the state must presume justification for deadly force exists if someone breaks into an occupied residence and the resident uses deadly force.

That would be a situation where the resident could immediately, and legally resort to deadly force without being injured first. We do see cases where a break-in is resolved by the presentation of a firearm without any injury on either side when the person who broke into the house flees.

There are also other situations where a person might be justified in using deadly force even without being injured. If the attacker displays a weapon during the commission of certain crimes, for example, that will often provide justification for the victim, though uninjured, to legally respond with deadly force.

I can only speak of 40 years of dealing with criminals. Maybe they are nicer where you live.

I probably should have left out the caveat that the victim is not injured in my original statement. Not probably I should have.

However you are not making the counter argument that a drawn firearm most often requires shots to be fired in order to resolve the situation are you? You are simply pointing out the flaw in my original statement that is likely resolved by dropping the without injury part (no idea why I included that)

In many areas, the state must presume justification for deadly force exists if someone breaks into an occupied residence and the resident uses deadly force.

Absolutely.

That would be a situation where the resident could immediately, and legally resort to deadly force without being injured first. We do see cases where a break-in is resolved by the presentation of a firearm without any injury on either side when the person who broke into the house flees.

Absolutely, but I do not think that is the majority of incidents though.

There are also other situations where a person might be justified in using deadly force even without being injured. If the attacker displays a weapon during the commission of certain crimes, for example, that will often provide justification for the victim, though uninjured, to legally respond with deadly force.

Correct, but they are still at that point the victim of a violent crime as the threat to use violence many times equates to the use of force. In my state for example the threat to use deadly force does not rise to the level of deadly force, but couple with other factors it could. That is why I always tell people to be able to articulate why they did something.

I probably should have left out the caveat that the victim is not injured in my original statement. Not probably I should have.

However you are not making the counter argument that a drawn firearm most often requires shots to be fired in order to resolve the situation are you? You are simply pointing out the flaw in my original statement that is likely resolved by dropping the without injury part (no idea why I included that)

Correct. I agree with most of what you are saying about capacity, ability to use capacity etc.

The fact is most assaults have an objective. The criminal makes the same risk analysis that everyone else does. Also that risk analysis can be effected by some substance (why do you think they feed you with booze in Vegas), mental health or emotions like rage.

Now, the criminal risks several things right off the top. He could get caught, but that's not a big deal because he's probably been caught before or know's many who have. He might go to prison, which he has probably been to before or which is a norm for his culture.

It's like a deck of cards, and what you did was put a card in there that says, "You die right here and right now." You can see how that might change to result of his analysis. You can also see how he would try to distance himself should that card be turned.

Also is the fact that you and I, as normal people, use violence as a last resort. In that culture violence is a first resort, or nearly a first resort. They have no moral or cultural impediment to using it. Just that fact put them a step or two up in a violent encounter.

27 years Corrections.

Nanuk said:
For all the talk about criminals that do not care about being endangered we seem to be ignoring something that used to be true: most encounters where a would be victim draws a firearm end without injury to the victim and without a shot being fired.

Is this no longer true?

You seem to be conflating two concepts here. A criminal becomes a criminal the moment he initiates a contact with another person for the purpose of committing a theft, robbery, or fraud. The victim is a victim the moment the criminal act is set in motion, regardless of whether the crime is carried through to completion or is interrupted and the criminal flees.

As to whether or not the victim is allowed to resist using deadly/lethal force, that's a separate question from when the act becomes a criminal act, or when the victim becomes a victim. The laws of each of the fifty states differ, so it's not wise to make generalizations -- although some generalizations do apply. One such generalization is that the determination of whether or not deadly/lethal force may be used is based on the perception of the victim, not the crook. That perception is, in turn, subject (if the case should get to court) to the "reasonable man" standard, but it's still from the victim's perspective.

Example: How many times have we read about crooks who try to stick up a store or a bank carrying a BB gun or an airsoft pistol? From the crook's perspective, it's a toy and not a lethal weapon, so victims "shouldn't be shootin' folk over a toy." From the victim's perspective, "He pointed a gun at me, so I shot him. I had no way of knowing it was a toy - it looked real."

Casting about the Internet for information on "statutes+deadly+force" I hit on a summary from the Connecticut Office of Legislative Research. It begins to summarize this issue -- for Connecticut:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/rpt/2002-R-0847.htm

A person is justified in using reasonable physical force on another person to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force. The defender may use the degree of force he reasonably believes is necessary to defend himself or a third person. But deadly physical force cannot be used unless the actor reasonably believes that the attacker is using or about to use deadly physical force or inflicting or about to inflict great bodily harm.
So, for Connecticut, a threat to inflict great bodily harm ("I'm going to beat the [bleep] out of you") is justification for using deadly force to defend yourself.

Additionally, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force if he knows he can avoid doing so with complete safety by:

1. retreating, except from his home or office in cases where he was not the initial aggressor or except in cases where he is assisting a peace officer at the officer's directions;

2. surrendering possession to property the aggressor claims to own; or

3. obeying a demand that he not take an action he is not otherwise required to take.
Note, however, that this memo dates to 2002, so it's now 17 years old. Obviously, at that time Connecticut didn't have a "stand your ground" law, they had a duty to retreat -- except in the home or office, and only if retreat can be accomplished in "complete" safety. Tough call to make on the spur of the moment.

But the memo then goes on:

In 1984, the Connecticut Supreme Court articulated the test for determining the degree of force warranted in a given case. Whether or not a person was justified in using force to protect his person or property is a question of fact that focuses on what the person asserting the defense reasonably believed under the circumstances (State v. DeJesus, 194 Conn. 376, 389 (1984)). The test for the degree of force in self-defense is a subjective-objective one. The jury must view the situation from the defendant's perspective; this is the subjective component. The jury must then decide whether the defendant's belief was reasonable (DeJesus at 389 n.13).
In other words, the victim gets to decide whether or not he/she can use deadly force to defend him/herself based on his/her perception of the threat -- not based on the bad guy's intentions or excuses.

Geting back to the video (which, despite the thread title, was not a convenience store but a liquor store): Someone commented that the crook left and then came back. I went back and watched the video again, at reduced speed. I did not see the bad guy leave. It's apparently a small store. He did move over toward the door but, if he went outside, the camera didn't show it. So, the way I viewed it, he was still in the store, and he had a shotgun. We don't know if it was loaded, but it doesn't matter. The women didn't know but they had a right to believe it was loaded. A shotgun is a deadly weapon, so that means they had every right (IMHO) to use deadly force to defend themselves. As long as the guy was in that small space with a shotgun (and, arguably, even if he dropped it), he was still a threat.

If he had turned tail and left the store, then they would not be allowed to pursue him and keep shooting. Then you get to a situation like that pharmacist a few years ago who shot one would-be robber, pursued a second robber out of the store, then returned to the store, switched guns, and killed the wounded robber who was lying on the floor. In that case, the pharmacist was convicted of murder.

[QUOTESo I wanted to start a discussion on the aspects of firearms that have a strong self-defense deterrent but are maybe less practical in their physiological effects.][/QUOTE]
Not much input from me one way or the other on that. Well, OK, maybe a little input... I think that in terms of firearms, it matters a bit less than some like to think. Col. Cooper, and others, have wrote a bit about awareness and not looking like a perpetual potential victim. Sure, nobody can foresee every eventuality and sidestep every boogy man- but one should do what they can to eliminate any chance they can get.

Maybe more related- I remember one of the interpreters in Iraq said that typically the people around the Baghdad area and just about anywhere the Husseins had palaces and particular interests- they were not overly scared of our M-16's and pistols. He said what got their attention and made them nervous was the shotguns. He said seeing the Iraqi Police and Soldiery with rifles (AK's) and pistols was a common everyday thing, but then here come the Yanks with those spooky shotguns and .50's just gave them the willies.

It's D-Day plus 75 years today. Lets remember all those men.

Aguila,

Fair enough. The point remains that you cannot use force to defend yourself from a non event, unless of course you can articulate pre-fight posture etc. well enough that you can establish you know whats coming next.

I tend to agree with much of what Nanuk posted in post #15.

Good luck guessing whether someone is going to be afraid, intimidated or even willing to comply when they're facing a gun muzzle.

Someone might not want to be shot, but that may not mean they're necessarily afraid of the person holding the gun pointed at them, or believe the person would/could shoot them.

fastbolt said:
I tend to agree with much of what Nanuk posted in post #15.

Good luck guessing whether someone is going to be afraid, intimidated or even willing to comply when they're facing a gun muzzle.

Someone might not want to be shot, but that may not mean they're necessarily afraid of the person holding the gun pointed at them, or believe the person would/could shoot them.

Nanuk said:
It is you for the most part that will be able to de-escalate a situation not the shock and awe of your favorite blaster.

I had to go back and reread post 15 and this stepped out. I once had a self defense instructor (not a firearm instructor) explain that if you had to actually throw a punch you had, likely long ago, lost control of the situation at hand. He was not wrong. Getting back control when it is lost is difficult at best.

Last edited:
Just speaking for myself.. a firearm is a deadly weapon which should only be brought to bare in circumstance where life threatening jeopardy is actively occurring or reasonably considered to be imminent.

If the question is whether or not someone is more scared of this weapon or that weapon, I really don't follow the logic behind such a question. I do not consider that aspect to be important at all. I certainly would not make SD choices based on such speculation.

This has been an interesting thread. I'm not sure about the intimidation factor of a knife verses a club in a confrontation with an attacking felon. I do know that a knife would be more intimidating to me.

Lohman I certainly agree with your instructor. Avoidance and de-escalation are generally preferable to a fight, especially one where lethal force is in play. Any self defense plan that doesn't include serious focus on situational awareness and identification of risk misses a vital component.

There's absolutely no reason to guess at something like that or wonder about it.

You don't pull a gun because you "guess" it will be intimidating. You don't hesitate after you draw and wonder if the person will be afraid or guess about how intimidated the person is.

You respond to the threat as appropriate, and if the attack breaks off before the gun is fired, or before a hit is scored, then that's a win. If it doesn't, you've already responded the way you should have.

Statistics and probabilities help us understand possible outcomes--they don't tell us we should EXPECT a particular outcome, or plan based on likely outcomes being the only ones that could happen. That would be crazy. Even a highly improbable outcome might play out in any given attack--but that shouldn't prejudice the defender against action. The response should be based on the defender's reasonable assessment of what is absolutely necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.

Knowing that the vast majority of successful self-defense gun uses do not involve firing the gun should not make a defender hesitate if his/her assessment of the situation is that shooting is immediately necessary to resolve the situation without an innocent person dying or being seriously injured.

People get confused about the value and point of statistics--on both sides of the argument.

I had to go back and reread post 15 and this stepped out. I once had a self defense instructor (not a firearm instructor) explain that if you had to actually throw a punch you had, likely long ago, lost control of the situation at hand. He was not wrong. Getting back control when it is lost is difficult at best.

I have had literally hundreds of people at gun point during my career. I have dealt with about any reaction you can imagine.

There's absolutely no reason to guess at something like that or wonder about it.

You don't pull a gun because you "guess" it will be intimidating. You don't hesitate after you draw and wonder if the person will be afraid or guess about how intimidated the person is.

You respond to the threat as appropriate, and if the attack breaks off before the gun is fired, or before a hit is scored, then that's a win. If it doesn't, you've already responded the way you should have.

Statistics and probabilities help us understand possible outcomes--they don't tell us we should EXPECT a particular outcome, or plan based on likely outcomes being the only ones that could happen. That would be crazy. Even a highly improbable outcome might play out in any given attack--but that shouldn't prejudice the defender against action. The response should be based on the defender's reasonable assessment of what is absolutely necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.

Knowing that the vast majority of successful self-defense gun uses do not involve firing the gun should not make a defender hesitate if his/her assessment of the situation is that shooting is immediately necessary to resolve the situation without an innocent person dying or being seriously injured.

People get confused about the value and point of statistics--on both sides of the argument.

Absolutely right on John.

They say that statistics lie and liars use statistics. I am not saying that anyone here is lying, just that the data is frequently manipulated to get the results that the requester wants.

Case in point; about 9 years ago I was sick, I had all of the signs and symptoms of West Nile. The doctor refused to test me for West Nile as the CDC was conducting a survey to see how far and to what extent the disease had spread and they did not want any more cases to show up in the study..........

I have had literally hundreds of people at gun point during my career. I have dealt with about any reaction you can imagine.

I can imagine you have. I don't think I would be wrong in suggesting that the legitimate and legal use of a firearm by a law enforcement officer is tremendously different than that of a civilian.

Absolutely right on John.

They say that statistics lie and liars use statistics. I am not saying that anyone here is lying, just that the data is frequently manipulated to get the results that the requester wants.

Case in point; about 9 years ago I was sick, I had all of the signs and symptoms of West Nile. The doctor refused to test me for West Nile as the CDC was conducting a survey to see how far and to what extent the disease had spread and they did not want any more cases to show up in the study..........
They also say that people choose to ignore statistics they find inconvenient.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This is an interesting discussion.

To address a couple of earlier comments, Dr. Gary Kleck has extensively studied the likelihood of ending an encounter with a criminal without shooting, so nobody has to guess at this; you can look it up. I believe the current number is something like 90% of the time, but keep in mind that includes burglars who most often think they are entering when nobody is home. It is not based on reported events. It is based on surveys where the social scientist uses various methods to account for fabrications and misreporting of fact. The reason for using survey methods is, historically, people don't tend to file police reports when neither they are not injured and the bad has fled, whether wounded or not. This results in enormous self-defense event underreporting. It's not like the bad guy will report you for shooting him because that would require admitting to committing a crime (or trying to). People say their failure to report these incidents to police is based on the fear the police will think they are the dangerous person and also that their weapons may be confiscated.

My memory of the early studies is they found 80% of gun-armed defenders did not have to discharge their weapons. Of the 20% that did discharge their weapons, most did not hit anyone but rather served as warning shots that drove the bad guy off. Kleck's more recent work changed the numbers some, reducing the percentage of discharge incidents, but increasing the frequency with which discharges resulted in wounding the criminal. The latter is on the order of something like 5% of the time, IIRC. Most of those are survived, of course. Look it up for yourself to get more detailed numbers. I need to look at it again myself, but I think the numbers I gave are in the ballpark.

For another aspect of psychology, I'll mention there is a book called Sheep No More by Jonathan T. Gilliam. He is a former SEAL and FBI SA and Air Marshal who does security consulting as well as occasional guest-hosting for Sean Hannity. I got a signed copy from him at the Indiana NRA Annual Meeting. As well as fighting, his book describes how to analyze yourself as a target from the criminal's perspective and thereby to neutralize the clues you present that help him decide you'd be a good choice of victim. It's a preemptive mindset and awareness concept.

There was an article in Esquire in the mid-90s sometime by a playwright in California (LA, IIRC) who got a gun and a carry permit after he and his wife were victimized. Afterward, he described encountering a group of young men on the street whose leader informed him they were going to rob him. He pulled the gun out and said that wasn't so. The leader said "you aren't going to shoot me" and continued toward him. He lowered his aim and shot the thug in the thigh, who went down cursing, then turned to his buds and asked: "aren't you going to do something?" They weren't. He jaywalked across the street away from the group. He said he considered stepping into a shop calling for an ambulance, but then thought "was he going to call an ambulance for me?" He didn't place the call.

Several things interest me about that tale. One is that victimization can turn non-gun owners into gun owners who feel they have a right to defend themselves. Another is the behavior of the group leader, as described, was driven at least partly by his ego and maybe his alpha male position to show no submissive behavior in front of his group. If the encounter had just been himself and the author, I don't know that he would have insisted on challenging the gun. If I am right, it suggests you are more likely to face obstinance from a member of an assailant group (i.e., home invaders, robbery gangs, etc.). Finally, just as with warning shots, demonstrating a willingness to shoot makes believers out of your foes, but I'm not sure what to do with that information. Shooting to wound can be interpreted by authorities as suggesting you didn't really need to shoot at all.

jar said:
but for me, seeing someone with a revolver says "It's very likely that person would hit at POA."

I'm curious how you arrived at that perception. My recollection is the police department migration from revolvers to pistols from the late '60s to mid-'90s resulted in fewer misses in police gunfights. Someone pointed out that for pistols that fired the first round double-action and the subsequent ones single-action (e.g., the S&W model 39 adopted by Illinois State Patrol starting in 1967), the first shot miss numbers were the same as for double-action revolvers, but the subsequent single-action rounds did better. So the conclusion was that double-action shooting is just harder for most people to learn to make hits with.

Here in the 'hood of Memphis, the thugs may stop what they are doing when a gun is pulled- but they know damned well that you can't shoot them when they are running away. Holding them at gunpoint for the police is an exercise in futility. They just run.
I guess that's a psychological stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back