Protecting and securing your machine guns from theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very few thieves are going to go through ANY trouble to move a safe.

They might try to tip it over. They might try to tip it onto a dolly. Most won't touch it if it appears strong/solid. Some will try pry bars, hammers and similar.

Few thieves will defeat even the most basic alarm system. A half decent home alarm with a door switch on the safe and maybe a magnetic sensor on the wall would be extremely difficult to defeat, coupled with a quality safe.

We could go down any road... XYZ could easily be defeated with a stick of dynamite, a backhoe and 3 days time..." Yeah... but who's going to do it?

Maybe you're basing that on antecdodal evidence or just what seems right to you.

I've seen quite a few safes hauled away. Usually when there was evidence of decent valuables inside. They usually end up empty, in a body of water.

A safe isn't hard to move for anybody with a shred of knowledge/ability. Some crooks have a little of both.

May not apply in your case, as I said police coverage is nonexistent in my part of the desert mountains till after the fact. Your mileage may vary quite a bit in NY state.
No cell service, poor phone service ( :)), lot's of power outages but a great view. Plus I have a range in the back yard. Just don't count on anybody else to protect your property.

J

It doesn't take "dynamite, a backhoe and three days" to breach any safe. That's just over the top silly. A cat that's been to welding school in the penetentiary can spend $500 or less in tooling and be in a safe within minutes without causing undue alarm.

To be clear I'm not suggesting every gun owner needs a vault. Couldn't hurt tho : ) huh?

But this guy is asking about an abnormal situation of a lot of high dollar firearms that he intends to make known. Firearms that unusual criminals might be interested in.

That's an out of the ordinary security conundrum and might need to addressed as such.

I've seen commercial safes worked on with hand tools for hours overnight, for a measly $2000 cash. Criminals might not be so smart but some are very determined.

J

My Mom's house could be overrun by Gengis Khan, or ransacked by a hoard of crack head tweekers and they would never find the firearms. No locks and no safe but invisible unless you know. Somebody already mentioned it, but if you can't find it you can't pawn it. Dad thought it out well and it works.

Last edited:
Seriously now, JTM. Do you never share your guns at the range with anyone else? You never go shooting with your friends? Some people are so judgmental. Go play with your guns in your own dark closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back