Protecting an autograph on a scope.

We use the silver (brand name) Sharpies at work. On hard surfaces, they will fade with time, sunlight and handling. They also will erase with various solvents, some common to paint and lacquers.
jmr gave you the best advice.

yeah I'm planning to retire the scope as I'm able to replace it. Might even just buy an SWFA 10x to replace it sooner for now but still wanted to try and put something on it to keep it around longer when I put it up on a shelf. Would Like to eventually mount it to a Rem 700P Like the show and keep it as a safe queen like a couple commemorative guns I have from my LE career.

Testor's Dull Cote (flat) or Clear Cote (gloss), spray lacquer, available for a couple bucks at any decently stocked hobby or craft store.

Spray from about foot or so away, light coat, let air dry in dust free environment.

Do cover the lenses. Dullcote will definitely fog clear parts.

DO test on something else first, as well. Just in case...

This will not provide armor plate protection from handling wear (scrapes, etc) or fading due to constant sunlight exposure though.

If you want to be certain of preserving the autograph, it needs to go behind glass (in a display case, for example) and out of direct sunlight.

You should test the same sharpie on another scope or non permeable surface with whatever you think you should cover it with. Spray clear coats may dissolve or act as a solvent.

I'm thinking clear fingernail polish. But test it first!

I picked up an swfa 3-15 on black friday. Not quite as nice as the MK4 in some regards, an improvement in others. Either way it allows me to retire that particular scope and just keep it on display as a memento. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Taking it off is the wisest move...you did the right thing. BTW, unless I missed it, you didn't say who signed it. Anyone we might know?

Back