Pros & Cons of loading just a few in the mag.

Seriously -- listen to what's been posted and carry the gun loaded like it was designed to be carried. You're overthinking a nuance -- to an extreme.

You're probably right. I have a tendency to over think things alot. But I consider it a good thing when I seek advice during an over thinking episode, which I always do. But even though I will not under load based on the advice you good fellas have given me I will keep this thinking around for awhile.

Cloud, I personally don't see anything TACTICALLY advantageous about carrying an underloaded mag. I can see a potential for a very slight comfort issue, but nothing tactical about it.

I'll be the guy to say it- do you have the right gun for the job? If you're gun is not something you can feel comfortable concealing, then perhaps you need to look at a different weapon.

I personally have 5 different weapons that I carry in some assortment of primary and back-up guns, ranging from full size to pocket size, and can carry in a variety of styles- IWB/ OWB/ Ankle/ Shoulder/ Pocket. I know some people suggest that you dress around your gun- I'm giving myself options, by choosing my weapon and carry style based on my dress and environment- is it hot or cold, am I wearing a jacket or shorts, etc. I have traded around a few, and found guns that I can carry effectively- and they all play a role in how I carry.

Just my humble opinion, your results may vary, IANAL, IDNSIAHIELN, and this opinion has a 1/100 cent cash value, redeemable at select locations.

This just popped in my head and I have not thought about it too deeply so forgive me if this is a silly question.
I was thinking in regards of carrying a mid size XD .40 or anything similar in the hot south concealed......

Sorry, but buying a pistol of a certain size and carrying half the ammo the gun was designed for, doesn't make sense to me personally. I'm hoping the silly idea just "popped" into your head, because if you really did think this out I'm going to be worried about you.:D

TIP: (even if you are already aware of it;) They make guns that are small and light designed for half the ammo your pistol accomodates. And some such pistols actually accomodate larger magazines (for backup) designed for larger pistols. G26, 27 come to mind.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
Some guns do run better with one less round in the mag. My XDM 40 is like that. The 16-round mag runs fine if you fill it up and put it in an empty gun. If I try to run it 16+1, it jams.

So, I just run it 15+1. Problem solved.

But in a case where it is 104 outside

It is still going to be 104 outside regardless of how many rounds you are carrying. You are going to lose more weight in sweat that those few rounds weigh. Load up and go. Downloading your pistol is not going to make you more comfortable in the heat.

The OP asked:
So is the whole point then of having a mid-size is having more rounds? I mean I know its better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

No, higher capacity is not the whole point, though it is a potential advantage.

Larger handguns are generally easier to shoot than are smaller handguns, due to several factors:

1 - Longer sight radius is typically easier to aim;
2 - Greater mass makes recoil control and follow up shots easier;
3 - Larger grip options may provide a better grip to hand fit for some of us;
4 - Better fitting grip (leverage) plus more mass (inertia) typically means the gun is easier to keep steady through the trigger pull.

So, higher ammo capacity is certainly not the only reason to carry a larger handgun. I am carrying a 1911 commander type right now, which "only" holds 8+1 - but I shoot that gun very well.

Still, I really see no advantage to downloading a handgun below its design specs.

This may not matter to some, and I am sure others will disagree...

One issue you may run in to, if you have to use the firearm in self defense(full investigation), during the course of the investigation when its discovered that the mag capacity was "X" amount, but you only loaded "Y" number of rounds, then you will be questioned alot on the issue of "Why?" Some of the lawyers here can expand on that, but it is something I would take a while to think on.

Back