Pros and cons of a 28 gauge

Since I bought my little Yildez 28 my Citori 12 sees very little action. My skeet scores didn't seem to suffer and my shoulder is thanking me. Now I'm on the hunt for a citori 28 to waste money on. But yes, if you don't reload you'll go broke.

one of those gauges that are owned by folks looking to stay in the gun buying game when they have WAY more 12s and 20s than God ever had .....other than that just about useless....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....the 28 and 410 are pretty much the lonely fat guys guns who's still looking for something to do....talk with him about 28s and 410s he will know everything there is to know about them....maybe even 24s and 32s....geeeez

Last edited:
well i guess i,ll just throw my .410,s and 28ga shotguns out with the trash, no sense having them as i,m not a fat or lonely guy. eastbank.

The 28 gauge is about the smallest that has been shown effective in the field on game birds, and a proper one is super light to carry. I've always thought of the .410 as an expert's gun, although plenty of kids get their first experience with one. Personally, I save the 12 (only have 1) for waterfowl and turkeys. Nostalgia has had me using a 16 (got 2 oldies), and recently I caved to the 20 for the abundant ammo. But don't tell my wife. She loves shooting clay birds with her 28 Remington 1100 Sport.

....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....
That's a bit hypocritical. The 12 and 20 cover the 16 from both directions, but the 28 reigns alone. I wouldn't have a 16 and love 28s. The "All Gauge" Skeet boys knew what they were doing.

one of those gauges that are owned by folks looking to stay in the gun buying game when they have WAY more 12s and 20s than God ever had .....other than that just about useless....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....the 28 and 410 are pretty much the lonely fat guys guns who's still looking for something to do....talk with him about 28s and 410s he will know everything there is to know about them....maybe even 24s and 32s....geeeez

Sounds like you've never shot, let alone owned, one of these. Your screen name does not fit your statement....:rolleyes:

I looked into 28s for a youth gun for my son. First of all, the ammo selection at ALL gun stores for the 28 is thin. Very thin. Secondly, the gun selection is non existent. The gauge looks intruiging but I will pass on it unless I win the lottery.

A valid point, friend. But, it was easier to go to cabelas and use my visa club points to get a gun off the rack for free (basically).

I do want a 28 SxS though. I might sell off a few guns to get a nice too. Just not today :). Maybe in a few years when I retire.

I don't have a Cabela's near me at all, but I do the same thing over the Net. They hate me as I am one of those folks who took advantage of free shipping a bit ago when then they put shotgun ammo on sale - they lost their butt on my order!......................:eek::D;)

i bought two flats of win high base 0ne oz #6 shells for my .28ga,s for small game and if you can,t kill them with one oz #6,s,maybe you need shooting lessons. for all other shooting i reload 3/4 oz #7.5-#8 . eastbank.

Back