property line aggrevation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has a shooting house less than 300 yards from me. We are both close to the property line. We have a ridge between us so we can't shoot each other. What is odd is that we typically see different deer. Not a problem for me, but we get along pretty good also.

In Texas, it is illegal...

for a fired bullet to cross a property line.

The solution appears to be putting your "shooting house" on the property line, with the fence at your back. That way, all shots, taken by you, are away from the neighboring tract of land. Shooting from an elevated shooting position should also create an angle that ensures the bullet will imbed in the ground, rather than richochet across our land, possibly endangering others.

Of course your neighbor may not understand your intent, but if you explain that it is for HIS safety, he may get the idea.

You might even mention to him that he should put his stand on the fence, too, with the fence at his back. For YOUR safety. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

Originally posted byMajor Dave (retired):

In Texas, it is illegal for a fired bullet to cross a property line.

It is here in Wisconsin also. What this whole thread comes down to tho is respect for your neighbors property and hunting safely. On both sides of the fence. One does not need to put their back to the fence to avoid shooting over it, they just need to refrain from shooting unless the animal is on their property. One needs to be concerned of where they are shooting and what's behind their target, regardless to how close to the fence they are. Neighbors need to politely and courteously convey their concerns to each other and have a amicable agreement in place BEFORE the season starts as to how to handle wounded deer crossing the fenceline and to make sure hunter placement is known to all. This should be a concern to anyone that hunts a small parcel.

Major Dave has the right idea. Put up another shooting house just inside your property line facing your shooting lane but leave it unused. The other guys should be more hesitant to shoot in that direction on the chance that someone is in that stand.

Though their strip of property is out of range for us...not that my crew would do it, our strip is well within their range.

The simple solution is post many "NO HUNTING, SHOOTING or TRESPASSING" signs on the far north end of your property line every 20 or 30 feet.

Unless the deer they shoot drops dead right on the spot, there is no way they are going to be able to retrieve it.

Either they will stop by to work out a deal with you, or they will just disappear from using their property.

Jim

resurrected

Huh! I see this thread got some new life. Some closing comments and a post season report.

Yeah, one of the disturbing things was there was no communication prior the season. But these guys, near as I can tell are not "neighbors", they lease this land and come up from Huntsville periodically. They don't know us and I suspect don't care to.

That may or may not be true.....what is now fact is that after about the first week of gun season, the boy and I did not see anybody in that stand. Not once. A bit of ATV traffic, some of it darn odd actually, but no Mexican stand off, them in their stand and one of us in ours.

We did in fact go over and resign the property line. No way could it be argued that a body didn't know. Have no idea about the status of the feeder. Illegal to hunt over bait, but legal to feed under certain parameters. I would have had to trespass to find out for sure and was not going to chance it.

And the final good news. Next to last day of the season, bamaboy, on a solo hunt, bagged his first good buck from our stand just at dusk. He was one proud fella....and it was all just like old times there. Course I got involved in the recovery and skinnin'...whats a guy to do.

All over till next year.......turkey season next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back