Proper shotgun shell selection

Hi Anthony-

Yes, thought about the ability of an uninvited houseguest being able to find suitable cover if things ever got to the "gravest extreme."

Fortunately for me, the distances involved are rather modest and cover (for the intruder) is limited. Anything decent, such as the heavy, 1940's-era sofa and wooden entertainment center are up against walls.

His/Her only bet would be to seek concealment behind the fake ficus (spelling?) tree or an upturned glass coffee table.....

I have conducted experiements such as negotiating the house with limited ambient light to select the best areas to hold a defensive position with either a shotgun or handgun. Yes, it's an interesting exercise.

I'm TOTALLY on the same page with you as far as having slugs being the last rounds to exit the shotgun. God forbid it gets to that point, I want each round to hit HARD.

Boing...thanks for the length-of-pull help. From first glance, it practically looks like you could reduce the length with a file and then graduate to very fine sandpaper. The recoil pad would then be reinstalled and we would be as good as new.

There's no way that Murphy's Law will allow something to be this simple!

Speak with you guys again soon.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Anyone try some of the 12g mini slugs from Coles
12 Gauge Mini-Slugs -.9 oz. Lead - 1 1/2" long.
Light load-light recoil-great for training novices and kids!
- 1265 FPS
- All Non-corrosive.
- Your typical Police-type shottgun can hold 33-50% more rounds and lighter recoil.
- Any single or double can use without any modifications.
- Works well in Remington 870's and Mossberg 570 series- won't work in
semi-autos.
- Great for HOME DEFENSE, because of low penetration to other rooms.

Havn't tried them, just found the concept interesting ?

The rotwiel slugs are great for accuracy and penetration, they (BG) will find little that will slow one down, I have tested on cast iron wash basin with brenneke 3" 600grain and it went through one side and put 3" crack on other, better than FED, REM, OR WIN could do. Due to lead alloy slug instead of pure lead. (harder)

As to mag spring it is true some old auto pistols worked 40 years after storing with full mag (1911) but mag was made with extra room in base, look at current 8 rounder a lot less room. For good read about this go to gunspring site "WOLF SPRINGS"

I use 0 buck for my home shotgun. I keep my shotgun fully loaded because, quite frankly the psycological deterant factor is a non-factor. I would rather have the extra round on tap than some mythical advantage of keeping the chamber empty.

If you have a shotgun with an extended mag with, oh, let's say six to eight rounds, you can go with the "hole in the mag" technique. This is simply loading one round less in your magazine which can give you the option of loading a slug or some other round into the weapon without having to fire or cycle out a fresh shell. Back to your question, go with 00 Buckshot with slug lined up on a buttstock shell holder or sidesaddle.

CMOS, if a rifled tube is made for that, try that first. Otherwise,USUALLY an open choke works best for slugs,tho I recall an old 16 ga 97 Winchester that had a full choke and a long string of successes.

What may be more crucial to accuracy is slug selection,and that requires benching. Buy a messa those 5 round packs of divers brands, swallow a dose of your anti-inflammatory of choice,and fire some groups at say, 25 yards.
Test the best of those at 50, then buy a bunch of those,with matching lot number. This'll hurt some but it's worth it.

Back