Progress Report(Trap)....

OK, Gary, you asked for it. I may bring up the old thread I did, or start a new one. Stand by...

Good shooting, Zane. My guess is you and that 1100 are but a few cases of shells away from running them. Enjoy..

The 99 is a fine trapgun, so's the 1100.You may neither want nor need to change after more shooting. If you do change, you'll still have one great doubles, skeet, SCs and field shotgun.

And a little addon, shot three rounds and scored 24,24,23.There's an ATA shoot there tomorrow night. I might just join the ATA and shoot singles, just to see how it goes against the local legends.

Last edited:
Dave McC

I shot 64/100 at the state shoot, with both eyes open. I was having trouble shooting with both eyes cause i see both beads on the barrel. A lady at the local club had the same problem she but a dot over the eye. I put a sticker on my glasses and this works. I replace the pad with a morgan pad and have it adjusted all the way down, have been practice on bring the gun up to my cheek instead of bring my head down. Had a older shooter look at my stance he sayes that i cant the gun alittle and the stock is to short for me, he had me measure by hold the gun in the bend of my elbow and measure to my trigger finger is this a correct way of measureing? I'm stacking my beads and holding below the birds also keeping my trigger arm straight out while shooting. i feel like this is helping.

Last edited:
OK, RDF, let's take another hack at this...

You're doing the right things, including asking questions. First...

That method of measuring stock length is, IMO a rough guide but that's all. I'm more impressed by a stock length that just fits into place well rather than following a formula. I'm a behemoth and shoot OK with standard stocks. This MC w/ Morgan adjustable pad has been a terrific aid in understanding just how much better one can shoot with a properly fitted gun.

Also, at this point I think stock length is important, but drop and cast are too. One can adjust to a stock that's too long or short better than one that is too thick through the comb, has too much drop, and puts the pattern over there someplace instead of where you're looking.

FYI, mine has but 1 inch drop at comb, same drop at heel of comb, and less than 2 inches at heel. The Morgan is set about 3/8" low and has about that much cast at toe so the pad rides my chest kinda obliquely. Fits the cup in the shoulder better.

Keeping the elbow of the firing hand up helps form the cup, you're right on there.

Again, I suggest you try shooting from the other side. If that's not a good idea, try the dots or reconcile yourself to being a one eyed shooter.

Finally, Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time, do some research into your options, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Back