Prograde .357 magnum 200gr hard cast "bear grade" in clear ballistics gel.

I just watched the Paul Harrell take on this and I really like his methodology.

For those that don't know, he proposes that a bear or lion is about like two layers of leather jacket (hide), beef spare ribs, a couple of bags of oranges (for lungs), more spare ribs, more leather.. then a patented high tech microfleece backstop. Then he shows what happened to the target.

The point being, predatory animals have tough bones and bullets will encounter bone and soft tissue.

Rather than go on and on about bears, I would like to propose a Pandemic Paul Harrell Picnic Recipe:

Orange BBQ with Jello Fruit Salad

Sauce:
4 tablespoons butter
1.5 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup shredded orange (most peel removed)
1 1/3 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black/white pepper mix
2/3 cup water

Blend ingredients, simmer for 5 minutes, let cool.

Marinate two rib racks for several hours while cleaning up after your trip to the range and the grill is heating up.

Chop up one cup of oranges, watermelon, and half cut grapes and add to regular cherry Jello. Let cool per instructions.

Don't shoot the jello.

Apparently I quoted myself and didn't realize it, thus I no longer need to refer to myself in the third person.

I didn't realize I was quoting you. So I'll leave that be and quit talking to you like you don't know what you said. My bad I suppose.

tipoc

I wonder with ammo like this if there's any reason to own a revolver in a larger caliber other than competition shooting.
I mean, I love my .45 wheelguns, but it wouldn't be much fun hauling them around in the woods when a .357 that weighs half as much is available.
Even better, a 6" G40 over a 6" S&W 686. My custom G20L I developed back in 2004 carries 17+1 rds of 200grn hardcast hot 10mm ammo and weighs less than a 6" barreled S&W 686 with only 6rds of 200grn hot .357 Mag. That's 3 times the ammo load!! Even better, my hot 10mm loads in my G20L produce a bit higher velocities than my hot .357 Mag loads in the 686 do.

Now, if you were to add a .357 Mag levergun into the mix, then the 686 is better as my hot loads come alive in the longer barreled leverguns. Besides, if you're in bear country, just a pistol is a bit 'under gunned'.

Even better, a 6" G40 over a 6" S&W 686. My custom G20L I developed back in 2004 carries 17+1 rds of 200grn hardcast hot 10mm ammo and weighs less than a 6" barreled S&W 686 with only 6rds of 200grn hot .357 Mag. That's 3 times the ammo load!! Even better, my hot 10mm loads in my G20L produce a bit higher velocities than my hot .357 Mag loads in the 686 do.

Now, if you were to add a .357 Mag levergun into the mix, then the 686 is better as my hot loads come alive in the longer barreled leverguns. Besides, if you're in bear country, just a pistol is a bit 'under gunned'.
I like 10mm, much more practical than .357 is for some circumstances, but the Ruger LCRx weighs 21oz, which is less than even the Glock 29 and for the woods walking .38 Spl snake shot an option. Dunno if they make 10mm shot ammo, I know they do .40, but that probably wouldn't cycle the slide or feed well in a 10mm.

You guys are sure afraid of bears!

Bear threads should be banned. I tried not posting in any of them for several years and was successful, mostly. They were all the same and there were two or three per month. They all went on for 6 or more pages. I stayed away.

Then about 2-3 years ago a fella killed a brown bear with a 147 gr. Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman load from a 9mm S&W 3913. The number of fellas who decided that load was good for angry bear attacks grew. So with every discussion of anything it gets drug up again.

I've decided to strongly recommend that load for carry in Grizzly country. It's the only way I can think of to decrease the number of bear threads. More people get et by bears fewer to argue in bear threads.

tipoc

Whats the point of driving a pencil sized hole through a bear? Doesnt nato 124gr 9mm do the same through people? I'd much rather have a good 158gr jhp at max velocity any day in the woods. With a good no 2 pencil as backup! lol

Last edited:
Back