Proficiency with red dot sights

I lost my right arm at 17 40+ years ago. Using both eye works part of the time. Closing my right (dominant) eye always works.
Love the dot +iron. Best of both worlds and my brain sees whichever one is most visible at the time.

Not for carry

I love the RDS on my Ruger Mk. 3. Makes hitting at distance easier, at least for me.

That's the thing, extended range shooting at humans? I'll leave that to the police and military.

In addition is the extra bulk and weight, esp. the bulk. Holsters also become a challenge with an RDS. Then there are those pesky batteries.

OP: The key to finding the dot in the window is your presentation. You will get the hang of finding the correct angle of the weapon.

I've been interested in the issue of RDS sights on a handgun for six or seven years. I've read a lot of info on different forums and Gabe Suarez's book on Red Dot Sights and done some shooting with borrowed guns.

(I've shot USPSA at the local level for 40 years. About 20 years ago or so optical sights began to be commonly used by shooters with open class guns but I didn't pay particular attention because my interest is entirely defensive. When the first generation Trijicon RMRs came out, my interest increased. Last year I bought a G34 from a friend that had the slide cut for an RMR and a few months ago I bought an RMR06 series 2 and had it installed)

A few weeks ago I took my G34 with an RMR06 type 2 to the range for some practice sessions for the first time. I ran 250 rounds through it doing some of my regular practice drills on IPSC targets (a couple of modified police qualification courses and a modified version of the QC that Glock used to use in their instructor workshops)The time limits on all those drills were pretty generous so I wasn't pushing for speed.

I found it easy to find the dot on the presentation. My gun has suppressor sights on it, and I use the sights to guide my eye to the dot. I'm not really sure how to explain it -- achieve a flash sight picture with the iron sights and the dots there and I take the shot.

The indoor range I was on for my first practice session has shadows in some spots and it was easier to be accurate at distance (out to 50 feet) with the RMR RDS.

The second practice session was out doors on the police range in bright sunlight. Shot the state DOJ Handgun QC twice. Didn't drop a point either time.

The next few practice sessions were on the indoor range again. I discovered that the dot needed to be adjusted slightly down and to the right to get a good co-witness on the top of the front sight at 25 yards.

I have to resist the temptation to try to shoot too fast with the dot. A trigger slap will still pull the shot off target regardless of your sighting system.

The shooting project until next spring will be to get familiar with the RMR and get classified with CCO in both USPSA and IDPA.

I'm 60. Been nearsighted all my life. I had cataract surgery in 2010 and they put new lenses in which has been mildly life transforming and improved my vision from 20/800 to 20/40. Still, that front sight was getting hard to focus on unless I was in bright sunlight. That's the big advantage of the RMR RDS for me so far -- works really well on an indoor range with spooky lighting.

I don't know if I'll put an RDS on my duty gun for work. I'm an instructor, and most all of the people I'll be instructing will still be using iron sights, and I've always felt that, to have credibility, you need to run the same equipment your students are. (In one agency the issue gun is a G22 Gen IV and in the other officers provide their own weapons and most are running Glocks)

Everybody sees the sights differently it seems. Differences in binocularity and convergence and which hand is dominant and which eye is dominant and are you near sighted or far sighted and etc.

I found using the iron sights to quickly guide my eye to the dot worked really well (My rear sight is mounted in the normal location behind the RDS). Your experience may be different

Back