Professor Takes Heat for Calling Cops on Student Who Discussed Guns in Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanya:

Thanks for the kind words in your post, #111.

Otherwise, the following comes to mind, circa Ben Franklin circa 1760 or thereabouts. I'm not certain of the exact words, ergo no quotation marks, however I believe that the following contains the essence of Franklin's thinking/words.

He that surrenders essential liberties to secure temporary security shall have neither liberties nor security. To this, I would add the following. They that would so act deserve neither liberties nor security.

Small Caliber -

We have no idea what the student said. No clue. Nada.
We don't know WHY the professor reported the student.
No offense, but you really need to read the article that started this thread. There are facts and quotes from the parties involved, except the police, that explain what the student said and why the professor reported him, in their own words. It is not just wild conjecture, except for my tongue-in-cheek account of the possible dialog between the professor and the police. And, to date, the FOX account has not been refuted that I am aware of. In fact, the mainstream media has been strangely silent about the whole affair. Well, maybe it's not so strange after all. I can't imagine the brouhaha that would ensue if a student had suggested that guns be outlawed and the campus police had questioned them.
Obviously this is a travesty that cannot be overlooked.
I completely agree, but I read your sarcasm. It is notable that the PD has refused to comment, typical when they can't refute the allegations without digging themselves a deeper hole.

Originally from gretske:
No offense, but you really need to read the article that started this thread.

You mean a quote like this?"
“I think a lot of people see this as a liberal professor going after a student because he likes guns. I don’t know if that’s the case,” Duquette said, adding that more would need to be known about the incident.

At no point was the student's presentation linked to the article. There seems to be no video of the presentation. We have no idea what the presentation's contents were other than it was supposedly pro student carry and possible in favor of the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

For all we know, the teacher is a loony that wishes only subjugation of her class. For all we know the student could have ranted on about killers like Cho, and perhaps gesticulated as if he were executing students. Both of the above statements are wild conjecture and we have NO evidence to back up either view.

And, to date, the FOX account has not been refuted that I am aware of.

And, to date, the FOX account has not been CONFIRMED that I am aware of.

Please note that I am not arguing against the student or for the teacher. I am arguing that without evidence to back up our views we come off as howling masses. Easily ignored masses.

When the content of the presentation is known (including the demeanor of the presenter PLUS his previous behavior) and the content of the concern/complaint of the teacher is known (including the demeanor of the teacher when she made the complaint, and her views on gun ownership) Then we will be able to have an intelligent, discussion backed by firmer facts than we have now.

What if the teacher has publicly vowed to flunk any gun-owning student?
Then she should be dismissed for prejudice.

What if the student had begun his presentation with: "With just one gun I could slaughter the whole defenseless lot of you!".

Kinda makes a difference no?

Glenn, I hope you enjoy the Shiraz, its not a BIG flavor, but it was quite good, well ballanced. Maybe nothing to serve at a huge celebration, but perfect with dinner and just about any fare. The last paring was with take out barbecue (it does exist in Mass! ...okay we had to import the cook from Texas, but we aren't giving him back!)

.22lr

The FOX article is a solid piece of journalism. You can speculate all you want about what other information there might be, but, based on the unrefuted facts we have, there is nothing to suggest there is anything going on other than what we already know. You can "what if" any news report to death, especially if you are inclined to not want to believe it happened. By the way, there was also an article in the college newspaper, which is quoted in the FOX article, so it is not a single source article.

So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views. I don't find that hard to believe at all. I am ever vigilant about my civil rights, particularly my Second Amendment rights, and this event raises my shackles. Anyone who does not care as much about those rights is free to believe otherwise or remain skeptical. I will not, and hope that others who care about these rights will not either. When those rights are threatened, if necessary, I will gladly become part of a "howling mass,' just like the patriots at the Boston Tea Party, Concord and Lexington, did.

Last edited:
Sir or Madam (screen name could be either gender)

The FOX article is a solid piece of journalism
Opinion. A solid piece of journalism as opposed to what? What do you base this opinion on?

but, based on the unrefuted facts we have
Please enumerate these “unrefuted” [sic](this does not mean proven) facts and provide quotes from the news piece to support these facts.

was also an article in the college newspaper, which is quoted in the FOX article, so it is not a single source article

I believe the "quote" you refer to is:
“I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly non-threatening matter,” Wahlberg told The Recorder, the CCSU student newspaper that first reported the story. “Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat.”
This is a quote from the student who was reported, hardly an unbiased observer.

So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views.
Doesn't work that way. You do not argue by stating "My view is right till you prove me wrong". You, Sir or Madam, must present your case as to why you are right.

Second Amendment rights, and this event raises my shackles.
In this case a student's 1st Amendment rights may have been infringed. But not all speech is protected, incitement to violence, threats etc. I am using the above as examples, not saying the student is guilty of such.

Anyone who does not care as much about those rights is free to believe otherwise or remain skeptical.
Ah, I do not jump to the same conclusion as quickly as you do and therefore you are the greater patriot.

This is the last point and the one that most rankles me.
I will gladly become part of a "howling mass,' just like the patriots at the Boston Tea Party, Concord and Lexington, did.
You equate typing behind a keyboard as the same thing as taking action against the crimes committed against British citizens by the crown. Hitting the submit button must be at least as valiant as facing a better armed, professional force. Men died at Concord and Lexington, so strong were their convictions. The accusations leveled against the British Crown in the Declaration of independence are horrific. It is a sobering document.

What do you base this opinion on?
A degree in journalism, a long time member of the National Press Club with over 20 years as a news journalist. What are your qualifications? Never mind, it doesn't matter, you have a right to your opinion, whatever your qualifications are.
You equate typing behind a keyboard as the same thing as taking action against the crimes committed against British citizens by the crown.
So, I suppose Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, Sam Adams and Thomas Jefferson were merely hiding behind a printing press? Or were they just a "howling mass?"
For me, end of discussion. You are not going to change my opinion, nor am I yours. I care deeply about my civil rights, you obviously don't care as much, at least not in the same way as I do. So, who is the greater patriot? Time will tell.
Now, I have to go bay at the moon.

So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views.

So experience is the key? I'm a college professor from 1977 and a psychologist. Thus, I am convinced from the evidence given - a news report - we cannot really understand all the motivational factors in all the actors of the piece.

My experience certainly is more relevant that the interpretation based on Fox news. Without access to the basic factors, even a reporter would not rely on second hand sources. Every evaluative discipline teaches that.

A fear motivatation and overreaction is more reasonable than a great antigun conspiracy without more information.

Glenn -

I never, ever said experience is the key. Actually, I said the exact opposite,
Never mind, it doesn't matter, you have a right to your opinion, whatever your qualifications are.
I was only responding to .22lr, who asked what my qualifications were, but neglected to include his own.

Again, I think we have beat this dead horse enough. Each can hold his own opinion, as far as I am concerned.

Having just finished reading, for the second time, the Fox News Article at the following link, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504524,00.html, I'm given to respond to the Conn. "professor" and other college/university administrators as follows, concerning their output/comments/rationalizations.

Such absolute friggin nonsense, I have not, in 76 years of relatively unsheltered life, ever seen, read or heard, in-so-far as memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back