Problems with Rossi Revolver have me looking at Glock now

She says she has no interest in going to the range for practice. How is she going to learn to use what ever gun you get safely and accurately? She does not need a gun at this point. She needs a good size dog that will be an alarm and a defender when pressed into action. For you get a high quality handgun in an appropriate caliber whether it be revolver or semi-auto. I have heard many people say the want a small gun because they don't want to hurt anyone. Well they forget the attacker does and the only thing that will stop them is something that will hurt them seriously. As far as I am concerned my life or the lives of my family and friends are far more valuable and important than any attacker.

She has no interest in going to the range to practice shooting. She wants something she can just pull the trigger for self defense...

If confronted with that statement I'd make it clear that unless she is willing to accept basic instruction, from me or whoever, I didn't want any part of it.

That said, a lot of good people have done exactly what this lady proposes; purchased a gun, stowed it away and produced it and used it when a threat warranted it. So I am reluctant to dismiss the notion out-of-hand. IF she buys a gun, tell her you need to shoot it and make sure it works; and that she might as well go along. That may just be the spark that gets her engine running.

21 replies and it looks like I am the first to say:

Welcome to The Firing Line!

For used revolvers, the Ruger Security Six or Speed Six or Service Six series is something you can still find. They should not be worn out and are a little smaller than the nicer GP-100 models.

The Ruger SP-101 is a 5-shooter in .38 or .357. A strong and reliable 5-shooter. With the 3-inch barrel it is a nicely balanced gun.

Used S&W models are available and my only recommendation is to be sure to get one with an actual model number stamped inside the cylinder crane. That will ensure that you get pretty much all the important product improvements.

Bart Noir

I believe an all steel name brand (S&W, Ruger, Colt) revolver is a good choice when the gun is going to be kept fully loaded with little to no use/checking for a prolonged period of time.

Autos, IMO, should be checked periodically because springs can give out and/or the lube has thickened or dried out. While rare the polymer-framed handgun can disintegrate just by sitting in a safe or vehicle.

745SW

I believe an all steel name brand (S&W, Ruger, Colt) revolver is a good choice when the gun is going to be kept fully loaded with little to no use/checking for a prolonged period of time.

Autos, IMO, should be checked periodically because springs can give out and/or the lube has thickened or dried out.

Agreed.

While rare the polymer-framed handgun can disintegrate just by sitting in a safe or vehicle.

Huh? I will take it that you meant perhaps deteriorate (in terms of condition state) instead of disintegrate...?

ETA: I just looked at the cracked frame article/pics. IMO that's just a lemon straight from the factory (provided gun was subjected to normal use). Point being they won't just "break" because they are dormant--other variables will assume culpability (IMO). However, I totally agree with your general point of care and maintenance.

-Happy New Year

Last edited:
“Huh? I will take it that you meant perhaps deteriorate (in terms of condition state) instead of disintegrate...?”

Yes “deteriorate” would have been better wording I suppose. I was trying to use a description that would convey total uselessness. I believe a metal-framed gun usually can still be used up to a point when it cracks while the general consensus on polymer is to not use any further.

Texas Tony said:
She has no interest in going to the range to practice shooting. She wants something she can just pull the trigger for self defense
Welcome to TFL, Tony!

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but in my opinion your wife has no business handling a firearm and you are being irresponsible by supplying her with one.

Learning how to shoot a handgun takes training and practice; it requires a LOT of both to be even decently good with one. But if she has no interest in learning how to use it, your wife is a danger to herself and others. Get a guard dog, get a Tazer, get some good foaming pepper spray. But don't get your wife a gun unless she will learn how to use it and practice with it regularly.

I know a guy who trained his girlfriend with a VERY realistic Airsoft Beretta M9 copy in their basement. They then progressed onto the range with the "real deal."

Heck, with both the price and scarcity of ammo, I'm thinking about it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, she doesn't need to go to the range very often to practice. She can do most of her training and practice at home. But she does need to do something. Just giving her a gun and showing her how to use it isn't enough. She has to be willing to practice.

Using a Rossi or Taurus to gauge any gun is a mistake. They are both hit or miss.
I have a good Rossi but I've seen many that were no good. Get a Colt, S&W or Ruger revolver and you'll probably never look back. Same if you go to a semi auto, don't do a Taurus or other odd ball. Stick with the majors and you'll more than likely be happy.

Other than my Taurus 83, my first, and worst, gun, the only problems I've had with any of the other ones has been a broken hand on my Python, and a broken hand spring on one of my dozen or so Dan Wesson 15-2s. The DW was fixed in a minute, the Colt had to go to a smith who fitted the new hand.

I wish I had seen the same reliability from a lot of the semiautos I've had. Dirt under the extractor, a little piece of case lip under the extractor, broken extractor, broken extractor spring, broken hammer(That one was just weird, on a crap PPK copy, it hit me on the forehead.), all kinds of stuff. Most all of these problems occurred on new semiauto guns in a period from 1979 until 1983 or so. The used ones were much better, but all the revolvers except the Python and the Taurus were ok.

If I am in your shoes, I would trade the Rossi for a S&W (without the lock) or a Ruger SP101. You may need to add more money but you end up with a better revolver.

Glocks are simple with minimal external controls when compared to other semi-autos but not as simple as a revolver.

745SW - really? here we go again....

Cracks or kabooms. They happen to all guns. Anyone's and at any time. Let's get over that. One isn't more susceptible than the next.

OP. I agree with the notion that if you wanted a revolver to sell it and get a Smith and Wesson or Colt. However, on a personal level I think your title couldn't be better of a trade up.

Glock 19 or 26 since you chose a small revolver. You'll be really happy. Since that's the first thing to come to mind for you. Your third eye wants it!

I won't say anything that no one else has said, but will simply reinforce their points:

- Do not let your wife have access to a handgun if she is not prepared to become proficient with it and understand not only how to use it, but how to determine how to use it and to have the right mindset to make a decision to pull a trigger if necessary.
- If you want a handgun for yourself, many others have made excellent suggestions. The Rugers SP101 or, something larger in a Ruger GP-100, would be excellent choices. A used S&W is also a good choice as well. While I'm sure some Rossi guns are excellent, they are not up to the same standard of quality as a Ruger or S&W.

One other thing: if you are going to to with an auto, do not limit yourself to a Glock. There are many other handguns that operate similarly to a Glock to look at. Namely, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, and Walther PPQ are all outstanding choices. I'm not saying to not get a Glock, but only looking at Glocks is severly limiting your choices.

Welcome and good luck.

I would make the Glock 19 my first choice. If people are swaying your initial choice for a Glock, then an M&P would fit fine as well. As a second runner up.

Personally I've owned the XD's and a PPQ. The XD isn't anything special but a Croatian handgun with Springfield Armory stamped on the slide. I've seen those go down more times than I'd like to count. The PPQ? Had one...gave it to my best friend. He loves it. Didn't see what all the fuss was about.

I personally like the XD due to the grip shape and trigger; mine has a very nice, even pull until break. The PPQ I like due to the grip shape as well and for the crisp trigger pull. I shoot my XD and PPQ suprisingly well compared to many of my other handguns.

Personally, I don't believe any one of these models (or many others from mainstream manufacturers) would be a "bad" choice. However, it's good to look at many since there is no such thing as a one size fits all selection.

You could also get the Rossi repaired, keep it and invest in a second firearm.

Like everyone else I recommend pepper spray for the wife until she spends some time at the range. You might look for a women-only basic pistol class. My wife has expressed interest in taking a class, but she hasn't had a chance yet. Once she does I'll be happy to add her finger prints to the handgun safe for quick access (she has access to the fail-safe key, but that isn't quick).

Back