Problems with New Ruger Blackhawk .357

I've owned a bunch a SA Rugers over the years and still own 6. They all had issues with the base pin coming out with heavy loads, greatly affecting accuracy. Check the cylinder play, both front to back and side to side with the hammer down. Be sure your Micro Sights are tight, too. I'd also measure each chamber throat and the forcing cone. I'd then shoot one cylinder at 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards to see whazzzup. Then call Ruger.

I bought and old Three Screw SBH and had simaler results. Noticed the rear sight moved around a great deal so I screwed it all the way down so it was tight and it grouped nicely after that, just shot low. Not sure how I'm going to deal with mine but if it was a new gun I would send it back to Ruger.

Mike

If it was me, and everything is tight as you say, I would slug the barrel just to make sure they didn't mistakenly mark and install a .41 mag barrel on your .357. It might sound dumb, but what could it hurt.
:eek::eek:

If it was me, and everything is tight as you say, I would slug the barrel just to make sure they didn't mistakenly mark and install a .41 mag barrel on your .357. It might sound dumb, but what could it hurt.

Howdy

You don't have to slug the barrel to determine that. Just take a 357 diameter bullet and drop it down the muzzle. If it falls right through the barrel, something is wrong. If it hangs up without entering the barrel, then it is probably the correct barrel.

I agree with DT Guy. I have a .41 NMBH that wandered on the target. Turned out to be a loose rear sight. It was wiggling on the roll pin that held it in place. I removed it, and "upset" the edges of the sight with a pin punch and re-installed. No more problems. The sight had become loose over some time though. By upsetting the edges of the sight base in four places, it gave the sight a gripping surface for the recess it fit into. Easy little job.

ammo

I'd shoot again, and I'd try other ammo.

I shot very poorly a week or so ago at a local match. Something had to be up, I suspected the sights had gotten out of wack. When I took the handgun to the range and shot it off bags at 15 yds, the next day, I could not hit a 9" pie plate. Looked like a load of buckshot! Turns out my plated bullets were the culprit.

True jacketed ammo shot just fine. Perhaps Fiocchi has loaded some ammo with undersized slugs or some other glitch.

From what I've read, the OP is an experienced SA revolver shooter, tried three different types of ammo, shot both freehand and off a rest and even at the short distance of 15 yards, could not hit the inside of a barn with the new Ruger, but shot well with another revolver. I'm gonna bet it's an issue with the gun and trying all the ammo in the world is not going to solve the problem. While revolvers can be finicky about ammo, FME, at 15 yards, the gun should at least pattern with one of the three the OP tried.

The only other possibility that hasn't been explored (unless I missed it) is if you shot the 38sp lead loads first, and they were undersized, causing severe leading of the bore.

After that, not much of anything will shoot right.... (ask me how I know :rolleyes:)

Although, that is really bad grouping for 15yds.... I'm not sure if severe leading can cause it to be THAT bad.

If the bore isn't heavily leaded, I would send it back to Ruger... something is definitely wrong.

Back