Problems regaining sight picture

shdybrady

Inactive
I am having a problem with my G17 I haven't had before. I am having a hard time regaining my sight picture for repetitive shots. I am looking into ways to control muzzle flip as well. Are there any training techniques yall recommend?

There's plenty of videos on the proper grip, stance and such on youtube, these days.
Look for the ones by the well known instructors and competitors, like Jerry Miculek.

Are there any training techniques yall recommend?

Three that might help some would be to get the web of your hand as high up on the pistol grip as possible, and the second is to get a wrist wrap for your shooting hand to help keep the wrist from bending, the third is to put a Houge slip on pistol grip with finger ridges on it. these have helped me in my shooting.

Have fun and stay safe.
Jim

You could use lighter weight bullets, this should give you less recoil.

Last edited:
Of the 4 fundamentals of pistol shooting: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, grip is the most important. Hold your gun like this.

image37140.jpg

Just to give some insight, i have added 3m stair tape everywhere my hand needs to make contact. In the archery world we call this anchor points. Its not 100% for grip but more or less to let me know I am always putting my hand in the same position.

I have watched Jim Miculek video and gave me a ton of pointers. I spent countless hours dry firing or just holding the gun trying to focus. I have tweaked my grip to what the videos advise.

Its more or less my ability to focus. I did see the brock string to help with this and I will try it. But, as of right now I just have a hard time focusing past the rear sights with both eyes open. I just installed night sights and really dont want to black them out.

Thats exactly how I grip my gun. I do want to try to employ jim miculek's tip of wrapping my non dominant fore finger around the trigger guard. Just to see if that will fit my style

If you're watching some guy by the name of Jim Miculek, it's the wrong guy. :)
If memory serves, Jerry Miculek advises using the front of the trigger guard for small revolvers.
You'll know when you have the grip down pat when the gun rises in recoil and returns back on target by itself.
Up with recoil and back down on the target where it came from.
If it ain't doing that, you have lots more work to do.

Last edited:
Im sure you are right. I tend to make up names. Tomorrow I will tell my friends I watched some video by a guy Ben Miculek

You got the last name right and it's the hard part.
You'll know when you have the grip down pat when the gun rises in recoil and returns back on target by itself.
Up with recoil and back down on the target where it came from.
Repeat to yourself 1,000 times.

"...haven't had before..." This something new? As in have you not had the issue before? How's your upper body tone? The ammo you're using matters some too.
Try pushing forward while you shoot and do not try to be fast until you can recover slowly. If you watch Jerry Miculek(a very class act he is too) shooting you'll notice he sort of stumbles a bit when he's done. He's leaning into the recoil.

I haven't had this issue in the past with my sw40ve and my 1911. This glock is making me have to relearn a few things. Its more of a focus problem. I can get gun back on point in a relative short time. But it takes longer for my focus to catch back up.

When you look at the target, is the front sight razor sharp? If not that is a huge issue. I wear corrective lenses to the front sight distance, which also works for the computer.

I have been working on the front sight focus. Problem is I am having a hard time seeing past my rear sight that has the night sights. before I installed them I blacked out my stock sights and I was able to obtain faster. Should I consider replacing the rear sights?

Night sights are not good for target/drill practice or competition. They have a small advantage in low light, but not no light, because you still need a weapon mounted light that will black out nights sights anyway. I would go back to black or black, or a fiber optic front. Take a look at Dawson Precision, Taran Tactical and Heines. There are others, but these are then ones I am familiar with. Your other option is to go with a slide mounted dot, which puts the focus only on the target. It's super easy to see, but it takes some serious draw practice to get on it fast. Instead of drawing to the target, like iron sights, you have to bring it straight up in front of you to pickup the dot, then push out. Inside about 7 yards you just look thru the window. These are the various setups I have used over the last 23 years of Glocks.

Left to right: Heine rear, Dawson front, standard Trijicon night sights (carry),
Heine Straight 8 night sights, actually blacked them out after I got them as match product, and Dawson Sevigny fiber optic with ear cut rears.

All my competition guns are now black on black with wide cut rears (.180") with the exception of a G17L upper I just got with a fiber optic front, don't use it much so might leave it alone.

Trijicon 7 MOA red dot, no longer made, similar to the Docter red dot.

Wide cut Heine rear, same as the first gun on the left (original width rear .125")

image35447.jpg

image35455.jpg

image37198.jpg

Last edited:
That's just it. I'm not really looking to build a competition pistol. This is my daily carry. But I am leaning on the competition shooters to become more accurate.

I have considered taking the night sights off going to a black rear, fiber optic up front and possibly mounting a laser upfront for night shooting

Instead of changing sights for carry, just use a dry black marker. I can't recommend a laser, our issue agency doesn't allow them. And since trying a couple up at the range, and thru the dark house, I wouldn't use them anyway. They are just a flash flight that points back to the gun.

well I blacked out my rear sights and it is a bit easier for target acquisition. I think it will be easier to tell in the day light. Interesting enough is that the tritium illuminates through the black marker. Its very dim but it does shine through. Maybe this will help me for now. I am considering changing out the rear sights for some wide cut black sights.

For alittle update. I have been able to really focus on the front sight and its coming consistent. If I stare it long enough my left eye starts to take over and I see the side of the slide. Yes, I have tested which is my dominant eye and I am in fact Right eye dominant. I am actually going to go the eye doctor to see If I am equal eye dominant. I have read there is a small amount of people who do have this and it does rear its ugly head when shooting pistols

Anyways, I am still having problem obtaining and regaining the front sight in view with both eyes open. I can shut my left eye line it up and then open both eyes. I would rather not waste that time if possible. Any pointers?

Lots of folks have a problem with the left eye interfering one way or another.
Try squinting the left eye just enough to help, but not anywhere near closing it.
You should still be able to see quite well with both eyes.

Back