Problems loading .45 ACP

Why do you want another die? That will be money spent to fix a non-existing problem. They fit your barrel. That's all that matters.

People need to get out of the mindset that they have to fit a case gauge. They don't. They only have to fit the barrel.

Put the case gauge in a drawer. If you hadn't used it in the first place, you'd never have known you had the non-existing "problem".
I don't want another die. But I shoot these round out of various guns - Glock 21C, FNX45 Tactical, Taurus PT1911, Kriss Vector...I also load for my dad, who shoots an EAA Girsan 1911. I don't want to have to plunk-test each round in 5 different barrels. If a round fits the case gauge, they will fit all of those pistols.

No - the brass is new, unfired brass from XtremeBullets.com.
Missed that in the original post, my bad. Best thing I can tell ya is to swap out the expander die. Most just bell the case mouth. And I can never get the bullet to go in straight on the progressive, even with the hornady dies with the bullet alignment sleeve. The lyman m-type I recommended goes down into the casing and opens it a touch so the bullet will just start to seat. Then the bullet is seated and the crimp puts the mouth back where it started. Fixed my problem...

I don't want another die. But I shoot these round out of various guns - Glock 21C, FNX45 Tactical, Taurus PT1911, Kriss Vector...I also load for my dad, who shoots an EAA Girsan 1911. I don't want to have to plunk-test each round in 5 different barrels. If a round fits the case gauge, they will fit all of those pistols.
74A95, called it....

If it gets into my chamber, I'm putting it down range! Never had a problem with a round that needed a heel bump to chamber in my 45. Would I rely on that for defense? No, but for range use it's good to know what to do if a gun malfunctions so it's a quick tap and back at it again.

Depends on the gauge. I use the EGW, which is cut to minimum saami specs with a barrel reamer and even accounts for bullet ogive engaging the lands at minimum specs.

As far as the op, sounds like he has fired his gauged rounds in all the guns listed without issue, so kinda a moot point.

". I finally got all 250 rounds to pass."

What did you do differently the second time around that worked?
From the sounds of it, the op just pulled the bullet and tried again. Perhaps a short stroke on the press that did not fully seat or crimp the first time around?

". I finally got all 250 rounds to pass."

What did you do differently the second time around that worked?
I placed each bullet in the case, making sure that the bullet was seated perfectly straight (or as perfectly straight as I could), then carefully pulled the handle.

Invested in Reddings comp 45 acp seater. While not as "tight" as their rifle comp seaters, it does help seating the bullets straight. Also run the rounds through a LFC.

All new setups get a dummy round plunk test, and loading from mag test from full slide lock back. This test for chambering, loading and setback. Have several mild lead target rounds that will fail the plunk test as they are deliberately loaded to push into the rifling, while still passing the loading test.

Yeh, you got get some basic alignment before you seat a bullet with the press. I'm not a big fan of the fidly hornady sliding seater. My RCBS dies seem to do fine with alignment.

Update - after tinkering/aligning/re-aligning, cleaning dies, re-checking alignment, I managed to get some dummy rounds loaded and pass case gauge. After a while, I noticed that all dummies that passed case gauge were loaded using brass of various head stamps. NONE of the XtremeBullets brass would pass. I gave up on the 550B. I set my Square Deal B up for .45 and ran some dummy rounds with brass of various head stamps - all passed. Ran some dummy rounds with XtremeBullets brass...NONE of them passed.

I am almost certain that it is the brass. What I have not figured out is what it is about this brass that is causing the bulge. Due to frustration, I called it a night, and sent an email to XtremeBullets explaining my issue, and asking if they have heard of this problem.

cases

Are you sizing the "new" brass, or just loading as they arrived from the vendor, ie, priming, expand, seat/crimp? In other words, skipping the sizing stage.

New brass should be fairly uniform and may well be upon manufacture. Handling, ship and storage might change that. My own practice is to size new unfired brass, certainly rifle ctgs and even new pistol brass too.

If I’m not mistaken, Xtreme and Freedom Munitions are one in the same. If I run across FM head-stamped brass, I throw it in the dumpster.
With that said, I’d have to load the brass you have to actually determine if it’s junk.

Are you sizing the "new" brass, or just loading as they arrived from the vendor, ie, priming, expand, seat/crimp? In other words, skipping the sizing stage.

New brass should be fairly uniform and may well be upon manufacture. Handling, ship and storage might change that. My own practice is to size new unfired brass, certainly rifle ctgs and even new pistol brass too.
Yes - I lubed and sized each piece of brass.

Do you have an instrument that can accurately measure the case wall thickness?
The only thing I have to measure with is a set of digital calipers. I measured the wall thickness, and it read 0.010-0.011.

I also inspected the brass. All the pieces I inspected measured 0.893 in length, which is the 'trim to' length listed in the Hornady book.

If I’m not mistaken, Xtreme and Freedom Munitions are one in the same. If I run across FM head-stamped brass, I throw it in the dumpster.
With that said, I’d have to load the brass you have to actually determine if it’s junk.
The head stamps are stamped 'Xtreme".

If you are willing to load a few, I would be willing to send you some.

wow....45acp has to be one of the easiest rounds to load in my opinion.
what die are you using that needs to be lubed ?
the only time I use a "case gage" is for bottle neck...never have for strait wall ( 9,40, 44,45,,ect.)...if needed I do as mentioned about and "plunk it".
Ive also found that using the Lee FCD solves so many issues ....it has a carbide ring that "smooths " out that bulge you may get before it crimps it....works in all our guns never a problem....with any brass.
ive used the brass from "extreme" for 45acp ( headstamped U.S.A ) loved it.

Matt.

p.s. the sticky at the top of the page has so much info on 45acp.....and the replys are priceless.

Last edited:
wow....45acp has to be one of the easiest rounds to load in my opinion.
what die are you using that needs to be lubed ?
the only time I use a "case gage" is for bottle neck...never have for strait wall ( 9,40, 44,45,,ect.)...if needed I do as mentioned about and "plunk it".
Ive also found that using the Lee FCD solves so many issues ....it has a carbide ring that "smooths " out that bulge you may get before it crimps it....works in all our guns never a problem....with any brass.
ive used the brass from "extreme" for 45acp ( headstamped U.S.A ) loved it.

Matt.

p.s. the sticky at the top of the page has so much info on 45acp.....and the replys are priceless.
I agree - .45 has to be one of the easiest.

I am using the Dillon Carbide Pistol dies. I don't normally lube .45 cases - I did it in this instance to rule out the lack of lube being an issue.

I have never had any problems loading any .45 brass...until now.

The brass I was trying to load was headstamped "Xtreme"...it is probably different from the "USA" brass you used, which may explain everything.

I have loaded new brass from Xtreme in 9, 38 spl, 357 mag, and .40, and never had an issue. They all loaded great.

Back