Problems getting case right for easy chambering

Good stuff to keep in mind.

Yes you could adjust the Savage to tighter head space, that can be pretty tricky (been there and done that)

I would go with separate.

Get a Hornady Lock-n-Load OAL length guage and a modified case for your caliber. I agree with the others about a tight chamber.

If you haven’t deprimed the cases yet . The firing pin mark on the primer should be able to tell you which gun shot what brass . If not which gun you should at least be able to separate accordingly. If one chamber is much smaller then the other one set of cases should not chamber in one of the rifles . Those cases are not from custom chamber .

Has anyone brought up press flex/deflection. It seems just about every tread that starts “ I can’t bump my shoulder enough “ really means I’ve not screwed my die in far enough yet . It always blows me away how the first 10 suggestion seem to be grinding something haha . With out first determining if the die and shell holder are actually staying in contact with each other at the top of the stroke .

I was just on another forum discussing this very subject with a guy that says he can’t bump his shoulders back any further even though there was a gap between the die and shell holder at the top of the stroke . I told him to screw the die down further so he did and said there was no change , gap still there and case does not chamber . I then told him to screw it down even further and that he was either going to size his case more or snap his press . Turns out he did both snapped his press in half while attempting to size his case more . That case that he sized while snapping his press finally chambered in his rifle , so it turns out his press was not strong enough to size the case properly . It was a cheap Lee press and he was sizing a larger case so apparently those cast aluminum lee "C" type presses are not that strong lol

Last edited:
Have you got it figured out ?

What press are you using ?

Does your die and shell holder stay in firm contact with one another at the top of the stroke and the case still does not chamber ?

Until we know for sure you are sizing the case down as much as your equipment allows , figuring this out can be more difficult then need be .

He said in the OP that he'd added a quarter-turn of the die past the contact point, but you are correct that we don't know the press and didn't have him do the n0-crack-of-light-check.

I forgot to mention, if you use the feeler gauge trick, be sure to take the decapping pin out of the sizing die.
Unless the die already bottoms out on the shell holder, I would just thread down the die. The die's thread has pitch of 14 tpi. That's 0.071" per turn. I mark 24 divisions around the lock ring, so each division is 0.003". If I try a bit harder, I should be able to go +/- 0.001" without much difficulty.

I do think using feeler gauge as shim for resizing is bad habit (sounds familiar?). The press can easily generate over 1000 lbf force. The thin brass feeler gauge could become a bit thinner each time it goes under the brass head.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back