Probably Replacing the 30-06

Different strokes for different folks. You are not wrong with your process or choices. Its your rifle.

For myself,I leave consideration for pure blind emotional preference. What I like,what I have confidence in.

For myself,I leave room to consider,and choose,a .250 Savage,a 30-40 Krag,or a 7x57 Ackley...not for any reason I can justify.Preference does not require justification.

Sure,I might select the rifle equivalent of a 5 iron or a putter or a #2 wood,but the last big game animal I shot,even though I may have had "better" choices,I used my fake 1903A4 Springfield sniper rifle with a 2 1/2 X scope.Why? It was more fun,IMO.

It ain't the arrow. Its the "Indigenous Individual". Any and all of the cartridges on your list will do an excellent job IF you to your job,which is placing the shot.

On any given day,conditions vary. One day,the .270 might have an edge.Another day,the 30-06 might have an edge. None of it matters that much.

Have fun doing what you are doing..IMO,all of your charts and spreadsheets say "All of these are great choices." I'll learn from numbers but Im not a slave to them.

I might pick a 63 Ford Falcon and a three legged dog and an Iver Johnson single shot 16 gauge and I bet I'll have some priceless fun.

With equal weight bullets at equal velocity and rifle weights, they all recoil the same. If a 30-'06 kicks too much for you, going to a 270 Winchester, (my favorite), will probably not solve your problem. If you need to reduce recoil, you must sacrifice something to get there. You could decide to carry a twelve pound 30-'06 or sacrifice some power by choosing a 7 pound 243 Winchester. Perhaps the 270 with 130 grain bullets will get you down to acceptable recoil if the rifle isn't ultra light weight. But maybe not. You can have an apple or an orange, but neither one is free. If you want the power of your 30-'06, but with flatter trajectory and less recoil, it just doesn't work that way.

You'll find your 150 gr accubond long range BC here. My guess it's a competitor to hornady's eldx with a better tip than the regular accubonds. If you hand-load your ammo--the latitude the cartridge/chamber gives you in bullet seating is a pretty big consideration in my book. From the ballistics point of view I think you'll be very happy with a 284. It will take your game at 400--and leave you the option of going much further than that if you ever decide to just for the fun of it.

BTW--I'm looking for a new girlfriend, do you have a similar rating system in a spreadsheet for making that choice?:D

Last edited:
I'm guessing you'd considered this, but did you look at the barrel length/bore diameter listed of the velocities for the various cartridges?

If the velocity is based on a barrel length you wouldn't purchase, you may need to look at other data or a correction factor. Likewise if different manufacturers use different bore diameters or twists and the manufacturer isn't one you'd purchase, you may want to get your reported data elsewhere.

That being said, all are good choices and likely whichever is the "winner" and the one you purchase, you will likely be happy with the capabilities.

I have been hunting with a 30-06 for more than 50 years, for me using a 165 grains bullet at 400 yards will offer the most kinetic energy than the 270 or 280 will being that the bullets weigh the same and are made for hunting. There are other more modern bullet designs that will provide you with more BC, but are not necessarily made for hunting. Now if I want to to reduce recoil I may shoot a 150 grainer but I find that the 165 delivers the most at this weight and at longer distances than a 150 or a 180 grain bullet. If I ever do feel that the recoil is too much than I will consider using a 130 grain bullet but will change the barrel to a faster twist like a 1:11 that will shoot this bullet accurately, which at this point your 270 or 280 won't match either, just my 2¢.

Recoil: a 150 grain bullet out of an 8lb gun using a load of IMR 4895
.30-06 = 13.8 ft.lbs free recoil (2700 fps w. 46.3 grs. IMR 4895)
.270 Win = 13.54 ft. lbs free recoil (2700fps w. 44.9 grs IMR 4895).
.308 Win. = 14.10 ft.lbs Free recoil (2777 fps w. 45 grs, IMR 4895)
Free recoil is within a few ounces across the three cartridges.
Velocity and load data from Lyman.
Recoil info from "Recoil Calculator" at Handloads.com.

Last edited:
This really is a big trade-off scenario--you want stopping power out to 400 yds on medium/big game vs big reduction on recoil--my guess is fizzics is going to make your choices very limited one way or the other--I'd be looking at something like a Creedmoor if significant recoil reduction is all that important.

These guns boards can really mess with your head: One thread is yet another in an endless series of caliber wars, and in the next, a guy puts a few numbers in a spreadsheet and he's told he's overthinking things. :p

All, thanks for your input on caliber selection, but like I mentioned that's not really the point of my thread. Recoil reduction isn't the overall purpose. I've been shooting a 30-06 since I was about 12 so I can handle it. My thoughts are simply that if spending this kind of money, I might as well do my homework. Maybe there are better cartridges out there for me.

a guy puts a few numbers in a spreadsheet and he's told he's overthinking things.

MrBorland, everyone contributes with the best of intentions, I'm sure. I'm not too concerned either way! It's been a while since anything I've done has been called "academic", though. The inner nerd in me appreciated that comment (thanks Red!)

The 30-'06 can be loaded with lighter bullets to perform close to a 270 Winchester as has just been pointed out. Alternatively, an often overlooked trick is to reload your cases using bullets intended for the 30-30 at velocities that are a little faster than the 30-30 can achieve, but well below what the 30-'06 is capable of. The result will be reduced recoil with ammo that will be totally capable to well beyond 200 yards for hunting deer, etc.

MrBorland, everyone contributes with the best of intentions, I'm sure. I'm not too concerned either way! It's been a while since anything I've done has been called "academic", though. The inner nerd in me appreciated that comment (thanks Red!)

Good attitude. More I think though you can't have math weight that is right for factors as well as the individual and what they want. At work we have a dashboard thing that tells upper managers how we are doing. Its always in the red but we keep the place running. hmmmm

I think its a good time and place for a 6.5, but that is me and not you.

If I ever do feel that the recoil is too much than I will consider using a 130 grain bullet but will change the barrel to a faster twist like a 1:11 that will shoot this bullet accurately, which at this point your 270 or 280 won't match either, just my 2¢.

Spot on, not sure you can even find commercial ammo in under 150 gr.

If it is then a 1-11 or 1-12 would be the right twist to have the best chance for a good accurate outcome.

Then there is the 6.5! (grin) which has the twist build in.

I think its a good time and place for a 6.5, but that is me and not you.

The 6.5-06 almost made the list. Post-Christmas budgetary constraints will keep me from doing anything right now, so it may end up on the short list at some point. ;) The 143 grain ELD-X and 142 gr ABLR are both great offerings.

I thought the 260 Rem was going to win out back before the 6.5C became so popular. I had my semi-custom long range rifle chambered in it. It's my most accurate rifle.

I also really like the 6.5x284 but am too lazy to figure out all the different specs and such. I tried that with the 6.5 Grendel and just got tired of trying to understand. Too many other good cartridges out there to waste time on that.

As a guy who shoots modern arm busters in my 45-70 i think my 06 weatherby is like a 22 long rifle after. I use to think my 06 was stiff now it’s a pleasure. That’s how you can overcome any recoil:-)

As a guy who shoots modern arm busters in my 45-70 i think my 06 weatherby is like a 22 long rifle after. I use to think my 06 was stiff now it’s a pleasure. That’s how you can overcome any recoil:-)
4...3...2....1....and they're off!:D

You might also consider the 284 win--sort of a "born again cartridge" that got overshadowed by it's child in 6.5. I love the 162 gr eldx bullet in 7mm.

I think I would be picking the rifle first----find one that fits you to a "T"---then get the largest cartridge they offer in that rifle where you think you can handle the recoil.

The Browning X-bolt is my current favorite--btw---mine is chambered in .270 Win.

I have other rifles and chamberings but the trim little Browning works best---for me.

My Ruger All Weather Hawkeye in .30-06 is a beast weighing a good pound to pound and half more than the X-bolt----the main reason I have it is for a worst conditions rifle.

I also have a stainless Savage Axis in .308---its main use it to have a cheap beater to play around with--you know just to have something different.

The chamberings are pretty much the same but the rifles are very different---keep in mind that these are all relatively cheap to shoot with ammo available everywhere----I'd stay away from the magnums or odd calibers.

Omaha-BeenGlockin, I held my cousin's X-bolt a few months back. It was the first time I looked at a Browning and I was thoroughly impressed. He really likes it. If I end up replacing, it'll definitely be considered.

GW44, I have been reading up on copper bullets. I like that they don't loose weight. Going copper would definitely give the edge to the 270WSM over the 280 Rem, but not sure I want to make the leap just yet.

I thought the 260 Rem was going to win out back before the 6.5C became so popular. I had my semi-custom long range rifle chambered in it. It's my most accurate rifle.

The 260 Rem is a 6.5 and is no slouch, has some slight performance advantages over the 6.5 CM. One I would consider. 6.5s come long or short and max nix (as we say in German) which one it is, they all work and are one of the sweet spots caliber wise.

I am fond of my 30 caliber loads, but the 6.5 does all they will do and none of the 30s have the range capability of the 6.5 (normal weights)

Of course I could consider a 1-12 for the 06 and shoot 120 -140 in it! Have to look at bullet choice. 6.5s have that dialed in for any use and range of target shooting.

Back