Prob a ridiculous question but....

Really depends on the person, cash flow and interest. I can count mine on toes and fingers. I know one who has about 100, and another that has close to 1,000 (and incredible cash flow to pay for them).

At one time I had a little over 200 guns. Most of them were WWII and earlier US military. I sold them off to raise the down payment for a house. Now, several years later, I seriously doubt if I will ever to amass that many of the type and quality of firearms that I used own.

Because I am a chronic gun buyer, I am rebuilding my collection one at a time, the main limit that I have to deal with now is the lack of storage room (and money). Plus I just moved a few months ago and it was a major logistic problem moving them. Now, it looks as though I am moving again in a couple of months so no more acquisitions until I get settled.

Really? Silly question. There's as many answers as there are collectors in the world. It's one of those questions that only the individual can answer because the answer is only pertinent to him or her. What's the purpose, just to start a thread? OK, why is there air? (You oldtimers may remember Bill Cosby's skit...)

I have known folks who had over two thousand guns and one who had over 500 machineguns (he had started collecting before 1934). I have read of collections of 4-5000 guns.

There is a legitimate question as to when collecting becomes merely accumulating, but the guy with 4+ thousand guns had them all on a computerized list and, according to the story, could put his hand on any one in a few seconds, and describe it and its features without any reference to documents.

Jim

James et al.

I am an accumulator and not a collector.

I call myself that because I like nearly everything but I don't ever spend the money to get something rare or unique. If I come up with something that is collectable it is by accident.

When I got up to 12 Cap and Ball revolvers, my wife asked me how many revolvers I would eventually need. She was not griping by any stretch. She was just curious. I didn't know how to answer the question. I have somewhere around 55 pistols and rifles now and I think she has answered the question for herself.

My wife is a real peach. She is the one who spotted the Gunshop in FL at which I picked up a Geroco Texas Scout in .357 that needed a home and some TLC. We were doing about 35 in one of the speed traps on 301 and "eagle eye" shouts out "Gunshop!"

She was surprised a coupla weeks ago when I missed my first gunshow in about three years. She is also surprised when I go and don't come home with something.

It was her idea to build glass cases and hang my accumulation on the walls of our house.

There is no limit (IMHO) as regards the number. To me the limit is on the speed with which the accumulation grows and for me, that limit is set by money.

Last edited:
I am an accumulator and not a collector.

I call myself that because I like nearly everything but I don't ever spend the money to get something rare or unique. If I come up with something that is collectable it is by accident.

+1

CS

I like your rule #1.

On the rare occasions when I let a weapon go, I would rationalize for example by saying, "I only have two hands. Why would I need three 1911s?".

Now I realize that rationale is bogus. I don't let much go any more.

Yes.
As long as the desired categories and types of guns are already in one's home, they can only be used on a long-term basis when they have 'fuel'.
The only reason for recently buying a second SKS was having returned the 7x62 stash back to 3,500 rds.

The next mass sheep stampede might not ever really stop. Today's .22LR mania was predicted to stop last summer.

At least three years' worth of affordable ammo for a given type of chambering could be necessary if the next gun/ammo panic is worse than the last.

Last edited:
Back