• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Pro/Anti-Gun Debate Forum

You would be amazed, DC, at how you can use civility as camouflage anywhere you go. Since sheeple think that they're the only rational people in the world, anyone who behaves rationally and doesn't just post "GLOCK 4EVR AND DEF LEPPARD ROX MOTHER@$*&!%" might actually get listened to.

I found the 'dialogue with Bob Musil' thread quite interesting. It was nice to see such reasoned debate about an often emotional topic.

When ever you get fanatics in the same room you can predict not only the outcome (a verbal brawl) but what everyone will say (just read the websites of the diametrically opposed sides).

However, when you put reasonable people in the same room there is no telling what may happen. People will actually discuss the issues, debating with facts and not emotional slogans. The outcome usually shocks no one, but contains a few nuggets of wisdom from both sides and maybe a few new interesting ideas.

Would I welcome such an exchange, most definetely. Having just recently joined this forum I can say that I wouldn't want to see this forum brought down to the level of the first scenario above. So I would offer the forum heading, not neccesarily advertise it but mention it to people who are anti-gun, who you think are reasonable. Put a big disclaimer when you register at this site. And make sure people know to post threads in the appropriate forums.

If it get's out of hand kill the topic. Deal with individuals on an individual basis.

Peace...
Keith

Well. You can all see from my latest post to the Musil thread that Dr. Musil has respectfully declined the position of moderator. I figured as much, he is busy. Any other suggestions for moderator? And how should we get the message out?

Mort-
Speaking as Member (not owner), I think we should let it go. The risks to our site are great enough when we invite someone in who has already demonstrated a willingness to be civil. If we go out "looking" for a group to represent the other side, we may be inviting a simple troll war.

In this case, however, I'm more than willing to leave the decision to popular opininion.
Rich

Rich;
I suppose you're right, but it's a damned shame. Everything about the gun control debate is a damned shame. We have to do something, if not something on TFL. Everyone here must realize that they cannot just keep shooting and harrumph at legislation. They're gonna come for YOUR guns eventually. It's going to happen. I may be a little out of the forum purview, and I apologize. But this is important; in fact, it is the singular most important thing discussed on this board. NOTHING else matters without freedom. Who is ready to take action with every breath?

Well....By God....Surely you don't mean the tattle tales from the school yards are coming. If that don't tare the rag off the bush. Heck I thought they only knew how to write your name down. I Didn't know they could read and do anything else worth while at the same time. I'm for stompin.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Glover (edited March 05, 1999).]

On DC's comment about false letters of complaints.. To carry that one step further..
Being a Netwrok Manager I also know that if the SMTP ( email ) server of the ISP is poorly configured.. An individual can actually connect to server and send an email
with a false users name so they are in effect
"anonymous" . I am one of those administrators that would in fact investigate
the complaint.. However, as DC said, not all do and blindly delete the said account..
FWIW

they don't get it... even God gave us free will , the anti's want to rewrite the rules of life. Most aren't rational anyway.... if they were there wouldn't be an anti gun group in the first place.... there is no reason for a person not to be armed, unless they're.... and then there would be one in the nightstand or on the bedpost...lol.... but seriously, they use tired old cliche's and refuse to accept our factually based statements..... we'd just be getting frustrated for naught.... just my humble opinion.

Back