Privi Partisan Soft Point Rifle Ammunition

jfruser

Howdy:

What is the consensus on Privi Partisan soft point ammo for hunting?

I was wondering if Privi Partisan soft points performed reasonably or were rubbish for bringing down deer/hog sized game.

I don't expect monometal or bonded SP performance, but merely old school cup & core SP.

Last time I used that was I think in 303brit. Was several years ago, details are sketchy. Seemed like it worked like any soft point.

Blindstitch:

Lemme see...

Yugo M48 Mauser in 8x57
Turk Mauser in 8x57
Swiss Schmidt-Rubin in 7.5Swiss
Swede M96/38 Mauser in 6.5x55

The last I can get good hunting ammo several places. 8x57 and 7.5Swiss, not so much. The domestic 8x57 is weak tea.

Looking to take deer or feral hogs at moderate ranges.

My main worry was that the SP in PPU would not open up. Sounds like that is no worry.

thallub, are those 9.3 rounds holding together well, or do they fragment?
Have you hit bone with any?
Details man......detail!
:)

PPU is my go to "off season" ammo

I use it in 243, 7mm08 and 308 for hogs and varmits.

Work just fine on those for me.

It does shoot a little dirty, and I havent tried any long range accuracy test on it, but it does ok grouping at 100 yards.

I know this is rifle ammo, but I've seen enough evidence that PPU JHP pistol ammo won't expand for anything. Thus, I don't trust PPU to expand at all even if it were soft points in a rifle cartridge.

Personally, I see PPU as a nice, accurate factory loaded range ammo and also offers factory ammo for really unpopular or uncommon cartridges.

At 300 pounds, I'd assume it's doing well. Did you hit the bones?
Also when you butchered, was there many copper or lead fragments to clean up?

Most of the 9.3s have muzzle velocities of 2450 and less with 286 grain bullets, and impact velocities are going to be lower the farther away the game animal is. At lower speeds the fragmenting effect is usually going to be less but not all bullets are made equal.

For example, the Speer 270 grain bullets are very very poor. Super accurate, but I have now killed 12 deer and antelope with them and the failures are impossible to miss. Hits have been from 25 yards out to 375 yards.
Here is the worst one of them all. This is all that was left of one when I hit a very small whitetail buck in the spine (shooting down a steep hill at about 60 yards) and the bullet would was less then 5 inches deep.

Speer advertises this bullet as suitable for large and dangerous game.
I think such an advertisement is criminal. This is the kind of bullet that causes horror stories against dangerous animals.
I am hoping PPU is doing a lot better job with their 9.3MM Bullet

Last edited:
Did you hit the bones?

Yes, every time i've shot a hog.

Also when you butchered, was there many copper or lead fragments to clean up?

Never butchered one: i have field dressed and skinned a couple. Have also taken the back straps and hams off several. Never found any fragments.

I've shot a decent amount through my .270.

Bought it for the brass mostly, cause it was cheaper to buy their loaded ammo than empty new brass, and it's pretty good brass.

Shot well for me, and I'd have no reservations about using it again. I've also shot some in my .22 Hornet with no issues.

You can also get PPU SPRN in 7.62x39. Just bought some, but I haven't tried it yet.

attachment.php

Yeah, I have not been able to get the Remington bullets I used to get either. I think Remington is REALLY missing the boat in not supplying the reloaders with their full line. They have been in troubles lately with law suits over triggers, and I would have guessed that making up some cash with the full line of bullets would be a wise business move.

But in the last 50 years or so, Remington seems to run from wisdom like it was a bob cat and they were mice.

Back