Private transfer

nd another quick question: Can I legally purchase handgun ammunition from a sporting goods store or my local gun store, even though I'm 18
Yes you can

I can buy a handgun from my dad, even though I am 18
BUY? You can get it gifted/transfered from your dad to you by filling out the half page form and mailing it with $19 enclosed.

cdutton said:
and another quick question: Can I legally purchase handgun ammunition from a sporting goods store or my local gun store, even though I'm 18

TheGoldenState said:
Yes you can

Not legally. It's against Federal law for a licensed dealer to sell ammunition intended to be used in a handgun to a person under the age of 21.

And if someone says, "Well just tell them it is for a rifle." I will reply that then the buyer is committing a Federal felony.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Not legally. It's against Federal law for a licensed dealer to sell ammunition intended to be used in a handgun to a person under the age of 21.

Im 20. I buy ammo all the time, everywhere. Ive been carded a few times and never been turned away, ever (pistol ammo)?

good to know, i wasnt aware of that. Well i guess if theyre going to see my age and sell it regardless i wont pull hall monitor on myself (yes yes i know what youre going to say).;)

Maybe I should have added: Does not make it legal for them to sell it to you. It actually is perfectly legal for you to purchase it, so long as you do not lie or present false information to them. The actual statute puts the onus on them for selling it - it only puts the onus on you for being honest!

Maybe I should have added: Does not make it legal for them to sell it to you. It actually is perfectly legal for you to purchase it, so long as you do not lie or present false information to them. The actual statute puts the onus on them for selling it - it only puts the onus on you for being honest!

Even better to know, thanks for the info:):)

Okay, clarification:

-I cannot trade money for a handgun.
-I can be gifted a handgun while under 21, but only from a family member.
-It is not illegal for me to buy handgun ammunition while under 21 from a licensed dealer, but it is illegal for a licensed dealer to sell it to me. If they choose to sell it to me anyways, they are guilty of a crime, but I am not.

Question: Can I buy handgun ammunition (or any kind of ammunition) from a private party?

Let's say I meet someone from this forum and exchange money for ammo in person. Is that a crime?

In the same scenario, let's say I buy specifically handgun ammunition from a private party while under 21. Is this illegal?

To be clear, cause this is getting hinky, I don't intend to do any of the above, although I'd like to try to find shotgun rounds cheaper locally through gunbroker or this forum (when my 30 day no posting thing is over with, I'll be posting a WTB 12 gauge slugs and 00 Buck thread). However, if it's illegal cause it's not through a dealer, I'm not down for that.

I'd rather not be convicted of a felony and lose my guns :(

-I cannot trade money for a handgun.

You can buy a handgun from an immediate family member (in California) (father, mother, grandfather, grandmother). A transfer is still a transfer - it does not matter if it is a sale or a gift. In most other states you could buy one from a private party with the only requirement being same state resident.

-I can be gifted a handgun while under 21, but only from a family member.

Only from those family members mentioned above (in California).

-It is not illegal for me to buy handgun ammunition while under 21 from a licensed dealer, but it is illegal for a licensed dealer to sell it to me. If they choose to sell it to me anyways, they are guilty of a crime, but I am not.

That is true in Federal law. California I am not so sure of (I just don't know the California law on that).
Can I buy handgun ammunition (or any kind of ammunition) from a private party?

Federal law allows it. Again, not sure about California law.

Let's say I meet someone from this forum and exchange money for ammo in person. Is that a crime?

Same answer, because you are asking the same question.

In the same scenario, let's say I buy specifically handgun ammunition from a private party while under 21. Is this illegal?

Again, same answer, because again, same question.

To be clear, cause this is getting hinky, I don't intend to do any of the above, although I'd like to try to find shotgun rounds cheaper locally through gunbroker or this forum (when my 30 day no posting thing is over with, I'll be posting a WTB 12 gauge slugs and 00 Buck thread). However, if it's illegal cause it's not through a dealer, I'm not down for that.

I thought we were talking about handguns and handgun ammunition? Now what are talking about? A pistol grip only shotgun?

I'd rather not be convicted of a felony and lose my guns

What guns? I thought all your guns were lost in a "tragic boating accident" :D

What guns? I thought all your guns were lost in a "tragic boating accident"

LOL "guns? what guns? I dont have any guns. Oh THOSE guns. Yea, but remember that time i went fishing in Lake ThisIsWhereIllTellTheGovermentWheremyGunEndedUp?"

Youve been alot of help SD, plethora of knowledge.

Back