Primers....

What shelf? Where? The shelves of every local gun store and Walmart are bare where I live, and the occasional internet offering lasts but 30 minutes, if that. And, it was never this bad in 2009.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/powder-arriving-at-local-store.4036285/

saw about the same at one of my local stores a couple off weeks ago. primers lasted about 2 days with limits of 100 primers per type per customer per day and either a 8 pound or two 1 pounder of powder. And yes I remember crawling on the floor looking for a dropped primer when I was down to my last 50 and having a buddy rescue me by selling me 5 sleeves of small pistol becasue I was completely out so it was pretty damn bad. Also I rode 250 miles round trip on my bike one Saturday in the early fall, I remember the leaves were turning so it was a nice ride, when a store upstate had some to sell. I bought a case of 1000 and thought I had won the jackpot

Last edited:
Late to the game, here, but I scored some items on my LGS rounds this past Tuesday. In one case, three people told me that they had sold out of all their primers earlier that day...and yet...found ammo, bullets, AND a brick of SRP. The CCI 400 cost me $54.99, same as I paid in January, so the 2020 price increases remain in place, but no higher. This is about the most I will pay for SRP, so I'm satisfied. Of course I'd happily pay less.:D

Attachments

• IMG_1078a.jpg
    IMG_1078a.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 28
I think one way to have an idea what prices will settle at is look at 22lr ammo . Remember when it was going for stupid prices ? Did it ever get back to where it originally was before sandy hook ? If I remember right it never came back and settle in at about 20% higher then they had been . My guess is , primers will never get below 30% higher then pre panic . Meaning I don’t think we ever see a brick for less then $40 again . Sure there will be a deal here and there for a bit less but the average price per brick will never be below $40 again .

I used to pay $26 a brick when the gun show rolled through but local gun stores were never less then $30 and usially $35-ish a brick .

Back in December 2020 I bought 5,000 small pistol primers off Midway for $216. That's ~$43/1000. That was a fair price. Not pre-pandemic, but I think we all realize that's not coming back.

More recently they raised their price to $74/1000. That seemed exorbitant, especially when I compared it to other's (viz. Powder Valley) prices.

But someone pointed out that PV's prices were the old prices and they didn't have primers in stock. They further said that when PV actually had some for sale, that would be a more appropriate benchmark.

Earlier this week PV had CCI small pistol primers for $60/1000. That's substantially higher than their pre-pandemic prices but cheaper than Midway.

All the above doesn't include hazmat/shipping/tax, etc.

However, in the midst of a shortage, a price difference of $14/1000 doesn't seem too bad.

I felt like I'd hit the lottery when I found a box of Rem 6 1/2s on the shelf in the reloading room...only 100 but it gives me something to do.
I ran out of primers a while ago, but I converted them into loaded ammo, so no problem YET....and I don't think I will pay Midway's prices, either.

I definitely missed the train this last time. Yesterday a buddy said they had some in stock at normal pricing and I finished my shift and then checked today. Gone. Whoops.

I do not foresee primers going back to $30/1000 like they were. Heck they started creeping up the past few years even through the golden era of ammo and components availability.

I still have primers but I have altered my shooting. I still go to the range at least monthly. But gone are the days of taking several hundred rounds of pistol ammo, and another 100-200 of rifle ammo, and burning it with my kids. Nope. Most of my pistol shooting is C&B revolver. Rifle is usually limited to 50 total rounds put through various milsurp guns. My main concern now is rifle powder for service class cartridges. The 4064, 4895, etc. These have not come in stock any that I’ve seen and I’m down to about a years supply. This has me concerned.

Back