Primers....

ciwsguy

Becoming more available, but sometimes quite pricey.

Attachments

• F707E3E1-A871-40EB-A03A-205E11B9D490.jpeg
    F707E3E1-A871-40EB-A03A-205E11B9D490.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 5FD2E4D0-E114-4557-9230-A5DA99300BC1.jpeg
    5FD2E4D0-E114-4557-9230-A5DA99300BC1.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 187
No I did not buy the federal SRP. It can sit at that price. This is the same store that last month had federal LRP for the same price. So they are selling at that price so somebody is willing to pay the high price. You will not find these online, direct point of sale only.
I did buy the Winchester small rifle primers at local cabelas for $55 per brick, limit one brick. They typically don’t stay around long but you have to go to the store as there are no online sales. Zero powder at cabelas

I check in with Midway often. They have had primers several times through the day the last two or three days. And they aren't sold out within minutes as they normally are.

Plus, they've had Remington primers. The past couple of days. That's unusual in the sense that they haven't had Remington primers since the company went under. But now it's back on line.

The small rifle bench rest primers are $99/1000. The standard primers are $75. Then there's hazmat, tax and shipping. Personally, I'm good for awhile so, unless I see a reasonable price, I won't really be needing anything for awhile. But those prices beat anything I see on gunbroker. And if one is forced to pay GB prices, Midway is better.

They're becoming more plentiful and I would expect the price to come down in a month or so. Not to pre pandemic prices, but they'll come down.

Once the supply lines open up and then the first time gun buyers have enough ammo to feel safe.

They're becoming more plentiful and I would expect the price to come down in a month or so.

I only took Graduate Level economics, but why would a company lower their price when all they can produce is gone in a matter of minutes at the higher price?

Don

The price won't fall until some boxes are sitting on the shelf unpurchased for a little while. That won't happen until the panic buyers are done stocking up. After that, the market will probably see a slump like it did after the last time panic buyers began to change over to figuring out how to shoot up all the over-priced supplies they'd acquired.

The only way I know to ride these things out is to have at least a five-year supply of everything you need. Use the oldest first, then replenish it with the newest, delaying that when times are like we have now, catching up when prices are more reasonable.

ciwsguy said:
Becoming more available, but sometimes quite pricey.

The new "norm" will now be "quite pricey". Gone are the days of $32/brick of primers at your LGS. The gun industry now knows that the vast majority of consumer is ok with paying around $100 / brick and there is a TON of money to be made off the panic stricken gun consumer. My guess is when you can walk into your LGS and buy a few bricks of primers you're going to pay about $80 / brick.

This afternoon I had my choice of 1000 Federal magnum small pistol primers $30.69 or CCI magnum large pistol primers for $39.76. Limit one so I took the Federals. Along with the ammo it was all going fast & it’s been a while since I got to buy a brick of primers.

I only took Graduate Level economics..

The supplies are going to increase, as they currently are. Slowly, but surely.

When supply increases to meet demand, prices lower.

Maybe you can sue for your money back because you clearly didn't learn much?

FL,

If you think supplies are going to equal demand "in a month or so", you are delusional. I don't think anybody but you believes that.

Don

I too think “a month or so” is wildly optimistic. I’m not a fortune teller, so I don’t know when, but my realism believes late summer at the earliest (if everyone stops buying at once) would see a return to rational prices (not 2019 prices, but rational) to return. Unless you spend hours combing for stock somewhere. Or just happen to get stupid lucky once.

The new "norm" will now be "quite pricey". Gone are the days of $32/brick of primers at your LGS. The gun industry now knows that the vast majority of consumer is ok with paying around $100 / brick and there is a TON of money to be made off the panic stricken gun consumer. My guess is when you can walk into your LGS and buy a few bricks of primers you're going to pay about $80 / brick.
I disagree and there isn’t a precedent that has shown this.

Most of us here have been through a handful of these panics, myself included. The worst time I can ever recall for rimfire ammo came after Sandy Hook and before the 2011 election cycle, there was plenty of rimfire and many fine deals to be had. I bought multiple cases of CCI SV, Aguila SV and I also cashed in on those excellent Federal Black Pack promotional deals.

And in the summer of 2020, there was lots and lots of brass cased 9mm FMJ at retail outlets for $9.99 a box and some sales dropped that by a dollar.

The sky isn’t falling (in my opinion) and there isn’t precedent to expect the sky to fall this time either.

Senens said:
I disagree and there isn’t a precedent that has shown this.

I disagree with you, but hope you are right. The retailers have seen ammo sell out at 700% markup, primers at 1300%.....

I’m guessing we will see double and triple pricing as normal for a year, then drop to a 25-50% price increase. Think 22lr and sandy hook.

If the market will bear it, then it will stay up. As the old marketing principle has it, if you double the price and lose half your business, you are working half as hard for the same profit, so it's a good move. But if more than half of your market is lost, it's time to tweak the price until the profit for your effort is optimized. So if the market votes against that higher price by leaving primers sitting on the shelves, then competition will drive the price down again. It may come in the form of special prices or other sales at first as they test the waters but it will work its way down.

BillyBoy 57 said:
I bought cci small rifle for $40 a thousand yesterday at my local shop .

This speaks in high volume as to the high business integrity of your LGS to not take advantage of this panic by elevating markups , continue to support them well !

I was extremely disappointed to hear that my goto LGS had recently received 200 bricks of CCI SPP's and went from $33 / brick to charging $90 / brick. Customers STILL lined up in the parking lot 2 hrs prior to the store opening and knowing a 1 brick limit purchase. Store sold out the same day. Now maybe this was a case of supplier gouging and to no fault of my LGS, I don't know. So what does this true story tell you ?

Last edited:
If the primers Billy Boy 57 bought are a recent purchase of recently produced lots and not just new old stock from his distributor, then it would appear someone is trying to see how much markup they can get away with. Whether that is the fault of the LGS with the $90 price tag or the particular distributor he deals with, there is no way to know without seeing the LGS's books.

My primary point in post #16 is that the gun consumer is still in panic mode and still willing to wait in line 2 hrs for a brick of primers and is ok with paying $90 .

The price won't fall until some boxes are sitting on the shelf unpurchased for a little while. That won't happen until the panic buyers are done stocking up. After that, the market will probably see a slump like it did after the last time panic buyers began to change over to figuring out how to shoot up all the over-priced supplies they'd acquired.

The only way I know to ride these things out is to have at least a five-year supply of everything you need. Use the oldest first, then replenish it with the newest, delaying that when times are like we have now, catching up when prices are more reasonable.

well said

it took about two years during the 2008 crisis for everything to get back to "normal" I expect the same this time. However it is nice to see it turn the corner and product on the shelves even in limited quantities. It took well into the fall/winter to get to this point in 2009

However it is nice to see it turn the corner and product on the shelves even in limited quantities.

What shelf? Where? The shelves of every local gun store and Walmart are bare where I live, and the occasional internet offering lasts but 30 minutes, if that. And, it was never this bad in 2009.

Don

Back