Primers too expensive . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Young

Got notice from Midway that large pistol primers are in. CCI. BUT with hazmat, shipping and tax . . . $109 a brick.

It's too much. Couldn't do it.

Ah well . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

I do miss the days when primers were a penny each, powder was $8 lb and bullets were $4-5 a box and really good rifle bullets were $6.

On the other hand, in those days I made significantly less than $300 a month....:rolleyes:

Yeah . . . $109 for 1000

I did almost buy them thinking "When will I see this again?" But didn't.

The other part of the equation for me is that I only have one caliber I need large pistol primers for and I still have a couple hundred on hand.

We'll see how the supply develops in the next half a year or so.

I talked to a guy at a gun show about a month ago who said he had tens of thousands of primers. He'd stocked up. I've done that with 22 LR ammo but not anything else.

Ah well.
Life is good.
Prof Young

I just play more golf...I'll wait till they come down to earth again.
You can afford to play more golf and you're worried about primers costing a nickel more than they used to? We are talking about real golf with real golf balls, real golf clubs, real golf bags, real golf gloves and real green fees or country club fees, right?

People are willing to pay $100+ for 1,000 LP primers because right now 2 boxes of 45 Colt will easily set you back more than that.

That's crazy pricing for 1000 primers. But if people are willing to pay.... Why not charge what the market will bare? I won't pay that. I'll go back to just cap/ball/BP (which I enjoy also) or start thinking about what it would take to get into flint-locks :) . Maybe in 20 years when inflation has inflated the $.... but not now.

It all will come back. People that buy at $100 are helping us all, more mfg will add more lines then over supply and life will be good for the rest of us!

Ok, lets do the math. Primers used to be $35 a 1000. That is 3.5 cents

Ok, 3 times that, lets round it off, call it 10 cents at $100.

Bullets? 35 to 50 CENTS.

Powder: Have not done this in a while, call it 20 cents a case? (243 will be more like 15 and 338 more like 30 but 20 is about 50 gr fill.

So, primers still do not really increase your reloading costs do they?

Now I went through the last shortage (more shortage, managed primers here and there as well as scrounged powder).

When they come back, estimate your use, then keep 3 years supply on hand.

Yes I hate it, I never bought powder in 8 lb jugs (5 lb for Aliant). But now, that is about the only way I buy it (yes I buy 1 lb when they were on sale, but I bought as many as needed to fill the 8 lb back up (or as many as they had short of that)

Same with bullets, I buy in lots of 500 (and the last order was 1000).

Before the late unpleasantness, I bought powder in 4 or 8# jugs, primers by the sleeves of 5000, bullets by the case of 1000, ammo from target Sports USA by the 1000 and shot by the several hundredweight. I stocked up on my 12 gauge target ammo and left a LOT on the shelves when things were still mostly available for others.
Whenever pricing and availability get down to your comfort level, you need to buy some every time you have a few spare bucks. Every trip to Walmart started at the sporting goods counter; same for BASS and Academy. If they had what I wanted, I bought it. Don't go into massive debt if money is tight, but giving up a 12 pack here and there or a carton of cigs and (besides being healthier) you'll have that money for supplies/ammo.

been able to get primers, but only sporadically at a local shop, but there have not been any in about 6 months now. they were going for 79.99 per 1000 last time I was able to get some. If you have to pay hazmat shipping that price is about right unfortunately.

All components are available on the "black market". Primers remain the most scarce commodity. Still above $100 per 1000, or 10 cents per. It was 3 cents per before. That adds 7 cents per round. It is outrageous but acceptable if I am urgently in need of loading new rounds.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Midway had CCI 41's laste weekend up for almost 18 hours @ 89.99, Brownells has the up right now for the same. MidSouth and Brownells been having small and large pistol off and on for the last few days @ 79.99 and some CCI 400's were up for about about the other day at Midsouth for the same. I will stil be fat for a year, hoping prices will drop a bit before I need to buy or I can at least buy 5K at a time to offset the hazmat

Become addicted to checking online vendors a few times every day. Sooner or later whatever you're looking for will show up. Then strike like a 6 pound trout hitting a grasshopper floating above. I have passed on ordering, fantasizing that prices will drop. Months later I regret not bitting the bullet and ordering whatever was available. Just my $0.02

The other part of the equation for me is that I only have one caliber I need large pistol primers for and I still have a couple hundred on hand.

I really start stressing when I'm down below 5k . Just picked up a sleeve (5k) of SPP from a friend a few weeks ago for $250 . He made double what he paid and I was happy to pay it . Now I'm right about 4k of LPP which is stressing me out . Like the SPP I gave primers away or at cost to friends during the last 2 years and is why I'm low ( in my mind ) on some . If I could get 3 or 4k LPP semi soon I'd be I'd be a lot less stressed for awhile I think .

I have to say as we all know , primers are the hang up for sure . I've bought A LOT of powder during the last 2 years and a good amount of bullets in every caliber I load but primer are a whole different story .

It all will come back. People that buy at $100 are helping us all, more mfg will add more lines then over supply and life will be good for the rest of us!

Ok, lets do the math. Primers used to be $35 a 1000. That is 3.5 cents

Ok, 3 times that, lets round it off, call it 10 cents at $100.

Bullets? 35 to 50 CENTS.

Powder: Have not done this in a while, call it 20 cents a case? (243 will be more like 15 and 338 more like 30 but 20 is about 50 gr fill.

Now I went through the last shortage (more shortage, managed primers here and there as well as scrounged powder).

When they come back, estimate your use, then keep 3 years supply on hand.

Yes I hate it, I never bought powder in 8 lb jugs (5 lb for Aliant). But now, that is about the only way I buy it (yes I buy 1 lb when they were on sale, but I bought as many as needed to fill the 8 lb back up (or as many as they had short of that)

Same with bullets, I buy in lots of 500 (and the last order was 1000).
A strange way of looking at things. People who buy 1000 primers @ $100 are NOT helping us... they are keeping the price up because a manufacturer will continue to charge what the traffic will bear. Only when the primers begin to sit on the shelves unsold will the price begin to come down.

When spp were 3.5 I was shooting 96 rounds per day... about 1,000 rounds per ten days. Or, $35 worth per ten days. Now, even if I could find them, I would have to pay $100 every ten days. So, I do not buy them at that price, shoot very sparingly inasmuch as I don't know how long my remaining 3,000 or so primers are going to last.

The only conclusion I can draw from your post is that you were likely a low-volume shooter to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back