Primers, primers my kingdom for some primers!

I agree, as long as you aren't preparing during a shortage. The fiscal value in preparing is to do it when prices are lower than they are going to be down the road.

One of our guys ventured a bit out of town last week and came home with 5000 SPP that were put on the shelf while he was standing there looking at something else.
$254 (inc tax) later, he was out the door with a big smile on his face.

One of our guys ventured a bit out of town last week and came home with 5000 SPP that were put on the shelf while he was standing there looking at something else.
$254 (inc tax) later, he was out the door with a big smile on his face.

Wow, and I thought the $140 I just paid for 5k Winchester LPP was a lot.

Hit a gun auction this weekend. After the firearms they went through the "ammo and accessories". Ammo went pretty high but most of it wasn't outright insane. There wasn't a ton of reloading stuff but there appeared to be only 2 other reloaders there so I did get a several thousand primers of various sizes. The interesting part was the age. The bulk of them were Western from the late 40s, early 50s! I believe the youngest were some Winchesters from the 70s.

i have been giving primers-powder-cases to friends who reload and have run short, to be replaced to me when this shortage subsided. as i have more than enough to last me for many years of modest shooting. and then i will brake out the molds-sizers and pro melter.

Re: post #25

Primers from the 40's may be corrosive. They could be mercuric or possibly chlorate, and not the more modern lead styphnate.
Beware of using them without knowing their composition.

Anything from the 1960's on will be safe to shoot. I would consider anything older collectable.

Back around 1990, I was given 1000 30 some year CCI primers. I found that I had a about 3% duds out of that box. So I don't know if I'd want to use really old primers for defensive or hunting ammo...

Back in the 1990s when the first big primer scare happened, I was told by some fire arms industry insiders that modern primers are good for 50 years. I mentioned that I stored mine in GI ammo cans with silica gel and I was told they'd probably last forever like that.

Tony

Back