Primer weighing test

Sticks in my head that there is about 50 milligrams of mix in a large primer. 0.77 grain.
No, I do not have a documentary reference any more.
NRA says 36 mg in a shotshell primer, 20 in a small rifle primer.

Let me be sure, you shoot at 100yds, with a 5mph wind and you get a 0.02" difference between group aggregates and you attribute this to the PRIMERS??

wow...:rolleyes:

Reread the tirst sentence of the first post 44 Amp

It ( with it being the test ) was completely unremarkable, that is about the best that can be said.

to be more clear the primer's weight did not affect the accuracy in any way

For the data geeks

I weighed 114 CCI 200's to get 25 of a single weight which turned out to be 339 milligrams. Low weight was 334 milligrams, high was 345 milligrams for a extreme spread of 11 milligrams and a average of 339 milligrams.

I slapped together a quick spreadsheet. Column A is weight, Column B is the number of that primers of that weight, Column C was used to get the average

I have decided to soak the fired primers in Simple Green and some Lemishine then weigh each in the same manner. I will do another spreadsheet and chart of the spent primers. That should be able to show what the average pellet weighed and the weight range of the 25 pellets since all weighed 339 mg before firing. That's assuming the anvil mechanism stays in the cup and I get all the crud out of course. I don't own a ultrasonic which would be the preferred method of cleaning

Attachments

• primerS.jpg
    primerS.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Good link there Bart, thanks for the info

Turned out there was no need to soak or clean the fired primers. All but 1 seperated the anvil separated on every one when depinned. Cups all weighed 220 mg plus or minus 1 mg, anvils all weighed 78 mg plus or minus 1 mg. I was not surprised that the numbers were pretty consistent. Most manufacturing processes are pretty exact when it comes to metal forming, less so in liquid measurement That means about 30 - 40 mg of material in each pellet. Nothing that will help reduce groups but just another piece of trivia to wow the boys in the back of the LGS

I received my 6BR magazine yesterday from MDT so I can finish my 6BR tactical build today and start load testing. After load testing I may repeat this on small rifle primers if the barrel turns out to be a tackdriver like I hope

Back