Primer seating problem

Other hard to ignite propellants are used almost entirely for full-throttle magnum revolvers, so it's moot to discuss if magnum primers would be needed in semi-auto cartridges.

Moot? not if you're someone like me who has full throttle magnum semi auto cartridges. :D

And, for them using W296 I do use large pistol magnum primers. I also use magnum primers with 2400, though I do no NEED to.

or get the RCBS bench priming tool

I've used a Lyman Hand Tool for decades. I started having issues with arthritis in my hands. Got the RCBS a couple of years ago and it is FABULOUS!!! A little annoyance having to put the cases anvil down for the feed tube, but great results and effortless seating.

If you ream the pockets they will be all the same size. Why spend money for a go no go gage. Just ream and that is all. No more muss and fuss. Keep it simple.

Federal small pistol magnum primers.
Various range brass Federal NT, Federal, Win NT, F O NT
Lyman , and other companies I'm sure , sell some hand tools for primer pockets :
they come in both large pistol and small pistol .
One is a tool for cutting away primer crimps , military brass and "clean" lead free primers are both crimped in place . Get a crimp cutting tool , aka Reamer , for both small and large pistol ...sooner or later you will need both sizes .
Cutting away the crimp is , to me , the best way to remove it .
2.) Next is a Primer Pocket Uniformer ... this cuts every pocket to the same dia. & depth ...thus all pockets are uniform .

You de-crimp (ream) and Uniform the pockets once ... Do it once and you are done.

Power tools not required unless you like power tools ...doing it by hand isn't a hard job and keeps you from going too far with cutting things .
Gary

By the way. If the pockets are loose. Throw them out.
Finding the loose pockets is where the Go-No Go gauges are handy. Prevents finding the loose pockets by seating a primer then having to remove it. They also find pockets that are too tight and need reaming before destroying a primer trying to seat it in a too tight pocket.

By the way. If the pockets are loose. Throw them out.
They may be loose for some primers,but not all . Ginex primers fill primer pockets quite well . On new brass they can be hard to seat . Rifle primers is what I have experience with . No sense tossing brass unless you know it has a physical problem .

Federal is my go to primer, they seat easier for me than anything else other than maybe Rem. I suggest you try a different primer tool.

Back