Primer seating problem

alanwk

I am reloading 40 S&W. Seems that too often the primers will not even begin to seat. The pocket seems too narrow. Can I fix this and what tool(s) would I need? Thanks

Alan

I'm guessing you have crimped primer pockets. If you look at the primer pocket and it looks like it was smashed around the mouth, probably crimped. Rcbs makes a crimp remover. I chuck mine in my drill and go to town.

See if the recalcitrant cases don't all have the same headstamp. If so, just set those aside until such time as you want to ream them or use a swaging tool.

Recalcitrant ?? RECALCITRANT !!!

C-mon man , that's way to big a word for this early in the morning. I had to look it up just to know how to pronounce it haha .

I had been debating starting a hard to seat oops I mean “recalcitrant” primers thread but I’ll just ask it here cus it might be relevant . I have new starline 44mag brass and its really hard to prime . Not only to get them started , it’s also resisting the whole way in . I’m needing to put more force then I ever have while priming . So much I’m very concerned of setting them off . The only thing comes to mind is both primer pocket and primer are clean metals trying to make s press fit and they aren’t playing well together. Thinking I need to tumble the new brass with some polish ???

As to the OP , if this is mixed brass check and see if the ones being recalcitrant are all the same headstamp . If so theres the problem likely crimped pockets . If it’s multiple headstamps then I’d say its a priming tool issue

Last edited:
Not being into the .40S&W, I am unaware, ARE there crimped primer cases in .40S&W??

My understanding has always been that only military cases had crimped in primers, and, as far as I know, the .40S&W isn't a military cartridge. Which doesn't mean its impossible, people do weird stuff, like small primer 45ACP cases...:rolleyes:

Over the years I have noticed that some primer brands are just easier to seat than others in general. Remington primers (back when they existed...) were always easier to seat than CCI.

One possibility is the shoulder (edge) of the primer pocket being too "square" to allow the primer to slip in easily. Another is primer pockets at min spec and primers at max spec.

Trying a different combination of primer and brass is the old solution, but that was back when you could find a variety of both on the shelf at the store.

If the entire primer pocket is too small, then a swager type tool is needed. If its just the edge of the pocket, then a twist with a chamfering tool will break that sharp edge and might just solve your problems.

Might also call Federal, tell them your problem and give them the Lot# of the primers you're using. Might be a bad (very slightly out of size spec) batch that they know about. Might be news to them. No one can fix a problem they don't know about.

First thing I'd try would be sticking the nose of my deburring tool into the pocket and giving a twist. Won't take much. Then see if that makes a difference in getting primers seated. If that solves things, you're golden. IF not, more investigation is needed.

It's complicated. Some commercial ammo has been seen with crimped primers in recent times, though I am not clear why. It's a technique mainly geared toward full-auto weapons. Another factor is that a number of the overseas manufacturers seem to make primer pockets that are almost half a thousandth smaller than US makers normally do. I've had IMI bulk brass I've had to run through the Dillon 600 swager before I could prime it reasonably easily. A lot more cases are outsourced than was the case twenty years ago, so having some of the tighter pockets from overseas show up in domestic brands is perfectly possible.

Regardless of cause, the cure is the same, and has been outlined above. You either swage the primer pockets or ream them.

Subject Drift

Am I the only one who noticed the use of magnum primers?

Of course, it has nothing to do with stubborn - uh - recalcitrant primers. I'm just curious why the use of magnums? I would assume because of the current primer shortage and our OP is using what he has. Otherwise, I see no use for magnums in the 40 S&W. Just thought I'd go there for a quick answer.

Unclenick: We're not going to let the "recalcitrant" thing go :D. For the record, I knew what it meant. It's a word I use myself - it's in my lexicon.

I bought a RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool and used it today it works great with a single stage press . I loaded 100 XTP 44 Mags for my son today (a deer hunter) first time i had it out in two or three years .

Am I the only one who noticed the use of magnum primers?

Of course, it has nothing to do with stubborn - uh - recalcitrant primers. I'm just curious why the use of magnums? I would assume because of the current primer shortage and our OP is using what he has. Otherwise, I see no use for magnums in the 40 S&W. Just thought I'd go there for a quick answer.

Unclenick: We're not going to let the "recalcitrant" thing go :D. For the record, I knew what it meant. It's a word I use myself - it's in my lexicon.
No, I noticed the magnum primers as well. In my experience, as long as you work up from start, small pistol, small magnum pistol, and small rifle are, to some degree interchangeable, at least that has been my experience in 9mm. In my experience use of magnum primers is only needed with certain powders, mainly harder to ignite ball powders, don't know what powder the OP is using.

You can't be using fancy word like 'lexicon" this far into the cocktail hour. :D

I guess you saw what I did there ^^ :D

In my experience use of magnum primers is only needed with certain powders, mainly harder to ignite ball powders.

Yes, in my 37 years of loading handgun cartridges, that has been my experience too. However, the ". . . only needed with certain powders" part is a bit of an oversimplification. I say this only because it can be cartridge dependant too. HS-6 is a good (only?? :p) example. In large, cavernous revolver cases like 357/44 Mag, a magnum primer is indicated. But in shorter semi-auto cases (9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, and likely others), a magnum primer isn't necessary. Other hard to ignite propellants are used almost entirely for full-throttle magnum revolvers, so it's moot to discuss if magnum primers would be needed in semi-auto cartridges.

Okay, I'm in the weeds now. Sorry for the thread hijack.

First of all in that I have never loaded the 40 SW. Magnum primer cups are made with harder material aren't they?
My experience with rifle cases not excepting primers is. Primer pockets vary in size and hardness. That was giving me primers some times would not want to seat when using the old hand priming tool.
I solved the problem by purchasing a primer pocket reamer. No more problem.

Primer pocket reaming only needs to be reamed one time.

That's my two cents. Good Luck

Back