Price of a Mosin?

Prof Young

Read in another section that Mosin Nagants are going for as much as $400 these days. I bought one about 7 years ago, with a hex receiver, for just under two hundred. Have they really gone up that much?
Life is good.
Prof Young

Some do, some don't.
Local market and exactly what the rifle happens to be are major factors.
And, of course, anything in an online auction will go for 30-60% more than average high market value.

Right now, people will buy anything that squirts a bullet out of the dangerous end.
But once things calm back down, the surp market will recede again.

$400 for a Mosin is still relatively inexpensive. Twice that or more for a Springfield, Lee-Enfield or Mauser. But it's not the rifles that have skyrocketed in value anywhere near the price of the assorted accessories. Used to buy No. 4 Rifle spike bayonets for under $10. Have a No. 7 Knife bayonet for a No. 4 Rifle, I paid about $20 for, that I've seen at just under $400. $45 for an M91/30 Mosin Nagant bayonet, up here.
It's a sad thing when your toys are your retirement fund.
"...in an online auction will go for 30-60% more..." Auctions are like that. They tend to cater to the uninformed. On-line retailers tend to be like that too.

I bought one about 20yrs ago that was on framed felt rack. Suppose to be a WW1 bring home. The shadow of the gun is highly visible on green felt. Guy said it had been on his uncles office wall up into the 50s. It was the long Russian infantry model. Excellent shape.
Put It through auction and it brought $60. Same auction I had a Chinese job that Marines dug out by accident digging bunker with dozer. I got it working but wouldn’t have shot it.
I put a tag on it were it was dug up and when and it went for $300 +. It also had Povost papers with it.

I felt like I overpaid when I bought my M38 for about $200.
Though not for sale; now I'm getting offers, about once a month, from $500 to $700, and it's a post-war rebuild using a 1946 receiver. It isn't even a tainted re-arsenal. It's a forced-match parts gun with a receiver date beyond the end of M38 production.

People are dumb.
And they love the carbines.

I spent a bit over $300 for mine . I forget the model but it’s the one with the shorter barrel and bayonet connected to the rifle and can be easily swung around in place . It’s in really good condition and I had no problem paying a bit over 300 for it . I also got a couple hundred rounds of ammo and a few other accessories with it included .

Ran across one at the Local Gun Store yesterday. Very nice, 1947 Russian carbine. Blond stock w/bayonet" $499.99!!!! PASS. My 1952 Polish model with a synthetic stock and bayonet, purchased at the same store 18 months ago for $199, is MY keeper.

Ran across one at the Local Gun Store yesterday. Very nice, 1947 Russian carbine. Blond stock w/bayonet" $499.99!!!! PASS. My 1952 Polish model with a synthetic stock and bayonet, purchased at the same store 18 months ago for $199, is MY keeper.
Part of that is inflation and market surge.
But, mostly, you're comparing apples to raisins.

"That guy with the running, driving, numbers-matching 'Corvette is insane. He's asking $8,000!"
"This Nova with a seized engine, hacked transmission conversion, primered body, Toyota interior, mismatched tires and wheels, beer can exhaust pipe, and rotten floor was only $1,500!"

I picked one up in 2012 when you could find them all day long in the $90 range and that included a bayonet, sling, and ammo pouches. It's crazy how much they've gone up.

If you want a shooter, a lot of Swiss k31s have hit recently and are around 500. Yugo mausers in decent shape, though non matching, in the 400 range. Classic firearms got hold of some Enfields that are going for 450 if you have your C&R license. I’m suspicious one. We all know Enfields can be a crap shoot. I think most of the non-crap ones are taken. I got lucky with mine, but I a,so paid a premium for it. A fair number of carcano m91 ts rifles have hit recently for under 300, though they’re almost sold out, ammo has dried up, and... they’re carcanos. I picked a carcano up from buds just because I didn’t have one, and I’m trying to have at least one of every major bolt rifle of WW2. A shooter it is not... at least accurately. But it’s safe, functional, furthers my collection, and it was cheapish.

Personally, Mosin rifles are not worth what they’re going for right now. Not to me. Unless it’s a Finnish, but with what they’re going for they still aren’t worth it.

Last edited:
I picked up a Moisin years ago at a gun show in PA. $79. A year later, iirc, at the same gun show, i added a K31 to the gun cabinet. Do not remember the exact price but it was well under $200 for sure. ($149 keeps popping into my mind)

I bought my first, a 1939 Ishevsk for $39! Picked up 9 others since, the most I paid was $275 for a Finn marked 1918 Remington. I haven't bought one in years though.

Locally to me a 91-30 is like $325
Also locally You can get one with an Archangel stock and 5 magazines for $425. My first Mosin when I was a teenager was $100

I bought my #44 at a yard sale about 5 years ago for 75.00 bucks, Bluing and stock perfect, bolt is pensile marked to match receiver number, pristine bore, receiver stamped 1946. hdbiker

Shortly after the Iron Curtain came down, you could buy and AK, and enough spare mags, parts accessories web gear and ammo to literally fill a pickup truck bed for $300.

SKS were just under $100 and MN's were about half that.

It's been several decades since the, what do you expect??

Back