President nominates Sotomayor for Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colt1911forever has made the statement a few times that Sotomayor was put on the bench by Bush 41. That's actually a mischaracterization of what really happened. There was an arrangement in New York: for every X number of appointments controlled by the party in power, the party out of power (from 1980 through 1992, the Democrats) would get Y number (a smaller number, but at least something, which is better than nothing)...

That is how Sonia Sotomayor was nominated by Bush-41. She was a selection of Democratic Sen. Pat Moynihan. The Republicans agreed to her appointment in order to ensure that Moynihan would not block nominees urged by Republican Sen. Al D’Amato.

...Sotomayor was not a Republican idea; she was a Republican accommodation.

She certainly indicates she believes in legislation from the bench based on her statement. The conservatives will have a hard time opposing her without inflaming the Hispanics and can't afford to loose their support in upcoming elections. She's exactly what O wanted - a very liberal, activist jurist and one that will be difficult - probably impossible - to block.

I doubt it; but Sotomayor might recuse herself if Maloney makes it to SCOTUS first, since she handled that at the lower court. Although, I'd rather she stayed and Nordyke or Chicago came first as Maloney is not the best case for us facts-wise.

The Second recognized that the issue was there and then ruled only on the direct aspect of the challenge

Judicial activism comes in many forms, one of which is going beyond the question(s) posed to the court. SCOTUS recognized the issue of incorporation in Heller, but only ruled on the direct question of handguns in the home.

She's had 10 reversals out of 14 of her cases that went before the Supreme Court.

Only 7 cases were actually listed, first giving the case names and then a short discussion of each.

Based on the list provided, the record is 5 reversed, 1 upheld, and 1 pending.

One fundamental difference is that Souter was an outsider. He went his own way and had little effect outside of his vote. Sotomayor is seen as a consensus builder. She has far more ability to sway people to her side.
Interesting. I draw exactly the opposite conclusion from what I read of her. She is an intellectual lightweight, a bully on the bench and one who has achieved very little respect from her peers on the 2nd Circuit. Her opinions have been often as not overturned on appeal, and even when not overturned have been resoundingly critiqued as having little substance and missing the primary points of legal contention.

She is exactly what we should have come to expect from our current President - an advocate and race hustler who will unfailingly take every opportunity to pursue policy agendas and who will "interpret" the Constitution in a tortured fashion in order to achieve these ends.

Interesting. I draw exactly the opposite conclusion from what I read of her. She is an intellectual lightweight, a bully on the bench and one who has achieved very little respect from her peers on the 2nd Circuit. Her opinions have been often as not overturned on appeal, and even when not overturned have been resoundingly critiqued as having little substance and missing the primary points of legal contention.

She is exactly what we should have come to expect from our current President - an advocate and race hustler who will unfailingly take every opportunity to pursue policy agendas and who will "interpret" the Constitution in a tortured fashion in order to achieve these ends.

Indeed. Unfortunately, he has at least until the midterm elections to destroy our country to his hearts content. She will be approved and she will likely be the worst justice in history, much like most of the rest of the Obama presidency.

So the court makes policy now. Is that right? Anyway, did you ever think that some of the people here just might have a left-wing agenda?

We're done - IMHO, if we start to posit agendas by list members, race hustler, we've exhausted useful comment on the actual L and CR issues.

Thanks for previous informative comment on her record and history.

GEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back