President Giuliani: My worst nightmare

ref441

Inactive
President Giuliani: My worst nightmare

By Jane Chastain

If Rudy Giuliani is the Republican presidential nominee, I will follow James Dobson and walk away from the Republican Party rather than vote for a promise breaking, serial philandering, pro-gay rights, pro-abortion rights, anti-gun liberal who happened to be at the right place at the right time on 9/11.

If my vote for a third-party candidate or not casting a vote for president helps elect Hillary or another liberal Democrat, so be it!

Yes, I fear President Rudy Giuliani far more than I fear President Hillary Rodham Clinton, and here's why: There isn't a dime's worth of difference, politically, between the two, and a liberal Republican will do far more damage to the country in four years than a liberal Democrat. Republicans will fight the liberal policies of a Democrat president. However, most will roll over and play dead before they will stand up to one of their own.

When Rudy Giuliani begins "cooperating" with liberal Democrats to advance his agenda, who will sound the alarm to alert the American people?

The warning will not come from the mainstream media, and it likely will not come from conservative groups in Washington. If a liberal Republican is elected, most will be tempted to hold their fire – lest they lose what influence they think they have – until it is too late.

We have seen this happen time and again. Ask yourself, "Why has government spending increased much more rapidly under Republican presidents than under Democrat presidents when Republicans are supposed to be about smaller government?"

(Column continues below)

Why did gay rights advance much more rapidly under George W. Bush than they did under Bill Clinton?

Why did conservatives wait so long before finally sounding the alarm on the amnesty bill and the Law of the Sea Treaty?

Bush, who leans conservative, has a few liberal tendencies, but Giuliani is a liberal with a few conservative tendencies – very few. In 1988, Rudy's mother, Helen, said, "He only became a Republican after he began to get all these jobs from them. He's definitely not a conservative Republican."

As for his record as a fiscal conservative, it's overblown. It turns out that many of the tax cuts Giuliani is bragging about were instigated by Republican Gov. George Pataki and the State Legislature. In 1994, he openly opposed the candidacy of Pataki and his proposal to cut the state income tax rate, in favor of liberal Democrat Mario Cuomo.

Giuliani, takes credit for a drop in crime in New York City. However, a nationwide trend had begun before Giuliani took office, and the man he appointed police commissioner, Bernard Kerik, pleaded guilty to ethics charges and is now facing a 16-count federal indictment.

On abortion, Rudy Giuliani replaced the old seven word dodge, "I am personally opposed to abortion but ..." with a new six word dodge, "I will appoint strict constructionist judges." That was a signal to conservatives that he would appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn the abortion decision Roe v. Wade.

A strict constructionist judge is one who tries to accurately interpret the Constitution. He or she doesn't try to change the law by finding something lurking around in the shadows of the Constitution the way the 1973 court did when it made abortion-on-demand the law of the land. Now, it seems that overturning Roe wasn't what Rudy had it mind. When pressed on the subject, Giuliani said that a strict constructionist "can look at it (Roe) and say, it has been the law for this period of time, therefore we can respect the precedent." That's Rudy's definition of "strict constructionist."

Sounds a lot like Bill Clinton, doesn't he? "It all depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

Yes, a lot of conservatives think they can trust Rudy Giuliani. No doubt his first two wives and his press secretary, with whom he reportedly was having an affair between wives two and three, thought they could trust him as well.

Rudy not only has trouble with definitions and fidelity, he has trouble with genealogy as well. It took him 14 years of marriage to discover that his first wife, Regina Peruggi, was really his second cousin, not his third cousin. That's how he talked the Catholic Church into giving him an annulment when he decided to marry Donna Hanover.

According to The New York Times and the New York Daily News, Giuliani is estranged from his son, Andrew, and his daughter, Caroline, for missing major events in their lives, such as graduations.

Conservatives, get real! If he wasn't true to his wives and wasn't there for his children, do you honestly think he will be there for you?

Amen. Worse than Hillary. Came to many of these conclusions as well. At least with Hillary, you can see your enemy, and maybe the opposition will rally into camps.

If it is seriously Rudy VS Hillary, I'd be tempted to vote the later just for this reason...:(

Though, there are actual candidates I'd cast a vote for...but they're all second/third tier. Paul, Huckabee...etc. Much better than the front runners.

I agree with the general tone but not this statement.
Republicans will fight the liberal policies of a Democrat president. However, most will roll over and play dead before they will stand up to one of their own.
Democrats tend to circle the wagons regardless of the offense but Republicans will toss someone out on their ear for far less. But I guess that depends what the meaning of 'is' is. :p

No, I think that statement is totally correct. Campaign Finance Reform, Medicare Reform, No Child Left Behind, and Patriot Act were ALL passed because Republicans would not stand up to their leaders and demand conservativism.

raccol,

Government spending grew more than twice as fast under President Bush than under President Clinton. I think a major reason is that there was no Bill Clinton up there for Republicans to oppose, and Bush had no interest in thwarting Republican porkfests. Democrats aren't going to oppose them as long as they get a cut. We were left with only a handful of congresscritters who would reliably oppose new spending, and they were outvoted.

Despite Rudy's "New Yorker" predispositions, it's just not possible that he's as inherently corrupt and evil as Hillary. It's impossible to lower the bar for moral and ethical behavior to a point under which Hillary won't slither. Rudy wouldn't be capable/competent to inflict enough long-term misery on this country as Hillary.

Despite recognizing Bellevance's attempt to hijack this thread, I must interject.

Bill Richardson is a liberal through and through. He supports an AWB and he has zero clue on Iraq. I personally saw this guy on TV recently saying that the surge is not working. When given numbers of casualties showing that the surge is, in fact, working, he said, "You can't measure success in war by using numbers." He then went on to cite numbers of recent deaths in Iraq to prove his point! The man is an imbecile in foreign policy and his immigration stance is more dangerous than Hillary's.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

No to Giuliani

Rudi G. is way too authoritarian, IMO. Plus, as a dog owner, I don't appreciate being discriminated against just because of the breed I have. As for pit bulls being singled out as ultra dangerous: my late Doberman was far more likely to bite someone than my 2 pit bulls...they don't even bark at the mailman!

"Giuliani Proposes Tough Law on 'Dangerous' Dogs, Angering Owners:
New York City Mayor Giuliani administration trains its quality-of-life sights on city's dogs with bill that would increase fines for harboring dogs deemed to be dangerous, deny dogs any consideration for being provoked into barking or biting, and require owners of pit bulls to obtain $100,000 in liability insurance before being granted dog license."

Oh good grief. I already had enough reasons to dislike Giuliani, and I didn't even know he was against the evil pit bulls. :rolleyes: Looks like he's another one who can't be bothered with facts when there's symbolism out there to exploit, not unlike the mean looking weapons ban.

The bar has gotten so low to the grond that they are standing by with shovels for when it comes time to lower the ground. This is known as putting us in a hole. The worst part is that there may be no climbing out when it gets very deep.

a promise breaking, serial philandering, pro-gay rights, pro-abortion rights, anti-gun liberal who happened to be at the right place at the right time on 9/11.

I think she went a little easy on him. The most monumental case of wrong place/wrong time does not get much media play. After the first attack on the WTC in 1993, there was the decision to put the city’s Emergency Command Center at the World Trade Center. I am not encouraged by the thought of Rudy as commander in chief.

Funny thing about digging holes. Once you get tired of digging you have two choices dig more and be miserable or look up, see the light, and realise that the sky hasn't fallen.

You need not fear a Giuliani presidency; it ain't gonna happen.
Even if he somehow managed to slide by the Republican base on his platform and track record (both completely devoid of conservative principles), the general electorate would hand him his head for his hawkish stance on the war.

While Rudy ain't gonna make it to the big chair, I can easily seem him as someone's veep; oh, say, Romney for instance. Rudy would be the perfect democrat candidate except for his current party. Making him number 2 would appeal to a segment, however short, of democrats who tend toward social conservative values but dislike the whole Romney full monty.

The problem is that the opening post contains the truth.

We lost this battle with "mainstream" republicans in 1988 with Giuliani part I (i.e. daddy "cia" bush). Most americans don't want to hear hard core truth like this because it means they have to stand on PRINCIPLE instead of trying everything they can to be on the winning team.

We fought and lost this battle again in 2000 then again in 2004. It's the same cancer that is immune from the chemotherapy of truth. We spend months trying to wake people up to correct principles, but sadly, what most americans want is to be on the winning team. People are too comfortable with their lives and being able to buy anything they need. They're comfortable with symbolism but they don't want to do the work to stand for substance and correct principles.

This problem is not a Giuliani problem, it's a problem with americans themselves (specifically, in this conversation, those who call themselves "republicans"). Americans are comfortable with their "lesser of two evils" rationalizations, and there's not a crowbar large enough to pry them away from that security blanket.

Watching Rudy tapdance around the Second Ammendment question at last Wednsday's GOP debate, you can't trust Giuliani as far as you can throw him. He was a well known gun control advocate for two decades, was the first to launch lawsuits against gun makers as New York city mayor, and he advocated "passing a test" to obtain a firearm. As New York mayor, Rudy did everyting possible to destroy gun rights. Now that he is running for president, he is all of sudden our friend? YEAH RIGHT! Now he says the Second Ammendment is an individual right subject to reasonable regulation. What's reasonable to him? New York city law? This guy is a pure politician, says what he has too to get elected.

Hillary = evil left wing wacko:barf:
Rudy = liberal RINO.:barf:

Most americans don't want to hear hard core truth like this because it means they have to stand on PRINCIPLE instead of trying everything they can to be on the winning team.

The way it is right now, being a Republican is not being on the winning team.

Back