prescription glasses suggestions

Finally got to shoot handguns with the new glasses. Sight picture, front sight image much improved. Shooting still the same:(. I can see targets much better at 25 yards with irons or red dot with an ar. 25 yard handgun is outside of my range.

I found a bad spot on the left lens edge while shooting weak handed through scopes. The optometrist, and place where I bought the glasses said that should be expected. I called foul. Got my money back on the "digital" feature.

I recommend buying your glasses from the optometrist that does your prescription. I went through the finger pointing game using 2 different places. I had no option as the first place screwed up and sold me frames that wouldn't work with my prescription. I did not trust them after that. Should have got my optometrist fee back as well. Make sure the money back guarantee includes all fees including the optometrist. Their scam is being a contractor within the store. Read the agreement. Do not take their word as reality.

Last edited:
JohnFland

See my earlier post #9. There I stated that it was an adjustable aperture sight.

Apparently others posting on this subject either don't believe or understand what I am talking about and would rather spend money on another set of glasses. The Merit device worked for me and enabled me to use my bifocals without buying more.

I'm not disagreeing with you, since I think the Merit has great merit! As in a camera, by stopping down the aperture, incoming light is constrained to the least curved part of the lens, resulting in a greater depth of field-- thus, more of what you are looking at is in focus (the trade off is less light). A peep sight works on the same principle. I prefer peep sights so that every shooter among family and friends gets the improved sight picture. A ghost ring doesn't give quite the same benefit because the aperture is larger than a peep sight, but still helps out some.

If you like colored lenses for shooting, check out Randolph Rangers XLW - you can get a scrip insert so you can use regular colored lenses in a wide variety of colors. Otherwise, they also make the colored lenses in scrip strengths, but if your eyes change, it is a lot cheaper to get a new insert than all new lenses. They are great for driving, shooting, fishing, etc.

Tom Donahue at TX Shooter's Optical has AWESOME customer service

bifocals

My last examination was at Walmart. I took the new prescription and frame measurements from my old glasses and ordered transition bifocal lenses from two of the online oufits (checked the online reviews out first on the companies). Both had all the coatings and titanium spring loaded frames
(aviator type). Both work fine shooting everything. Done some of the best iron sight shooting in my life since. Had these about 4 years. One pair cost 55.00
(yes I said 55.00 ) and one pair cost about 70.00. Neither pair has scratched as bad as any that I'd purchased from an optometrist. The 55.00 pair came from glassesshop.com and the other pair from zenni optical. Both are chinese outfits and paid for them with paypal. The position of the bifocal was similar to what I'd had before. They are never positioned the same in my experience from the optometrists I've had. I adapt very quickly. I've worn glasses my entire life and bifocals quite a while.
It sure is nice to have a couple extra pair around of the same prescription and if you do happen to break a pair (which hasn't happened yet) it isn't such a big deal. Idaho Gaiters

Back