• Pistol

Votes: 51 68.0%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FNX tactical 45. cal with suppressor, I do not want to damage my ears and wake up the neighbors. Also as back up a 20 gauge with no. 3 shot.

Which room would I be in at the time ??
As I do not anticipate facing down any large gang intrusions,
I have within close proximity, in my
Bedroom = 1911/.45
Living room = 4" GP100
garage = 12Ga.Moss.500

+ my Constant carry = LC9S

I'm very comfortable with a shotgun or pistol. I don't leave any long guns out. I keep a SxS handy in the gun closet with #4 buck.

My carry gun is what I keep at my fingertips.

I have been watching this thread for a couple of days out of curiosity. Then last night my Brodie and Mattie { my dogs } alarm went off. As I rolled out of bed I found that I grabbed my S&W 625-4 45 acp without thought. So I guess it is my go to gun. Oh no shoots fired a doe had found her way in to our car port.

Last edited:
I voted 'Shotgun,' specifically my mossy 500 with the 18 inch barrel. However, the reality is that my first HD weapon is 240 lbs. worth of dogs that I would turn loose to find and eat any uninvited bandits in the house. The 90 lb. aussie shep/german shep mix would use her better speed and agility to find the BG, and the 150 lb. Rhodesian ridgeback/rottie mix would eat him.

I probably wouldn't have to fire a shot. But it's comforting to have a 12 ga. as my back-up to the mutts.

I think it was in the Heller v. District of Columbia opinion where SCOTUS said something to the effect that a handgun was the most popular firearm for home defense. As for myself, my primary is a 9 mm Sig, but if time and circumstances permit out comes the 12 gauge 870. The old dog makes for a good alarm if she is awake.

Handgun with a light. Long gun would be too awkward in hallways and tight spots.
Such a ridiculous and overblown myth.

It’s actually not hard at all to open doors, flip on light switches, and just generally maneuver around your house while armed with a lightweight fighting rifle such as the AR15. A fighting carbine is just as maneuverable as a pistol inside your home and is certainly easier to shoot better under duress than a pistol. I find it interesting that most shooters automatically assume that a fighting shotgun or carbine is longer than a pistol when held in the shooting position when it is demonstrably not.

Capture-4-660x339.png

It’s actually not hard at all to open doors, flip on light switches, and just generally maneuver around your house while armed with a lightweight fighting rifle such as the AR15.
It may not be "hard at all", but for reasons discussed here on many occasions in the past, it is usually an extremely imprudent thing to do, and it should be undertaken only in cases of dire necessity.

It may not be "hard at all", but for reasons discussed here on many occasions in the past, it is usually an extremely imprudent thing to do, and it should be undertaken only in cases of dire necessity.
I thought this was a discussion about weapon selection,...not 'house clearing' vs 'holing up'.

A number people have introduced that latter as an element of the former.
In either case, my premise still stands. There is virtually no real difference in maneuverability between a carbine and a pistol. If it were the case, professional entry teams would chose to use pistols instead of long guns, which they don't. The photo from my previous post illustrates the overblown 'pistol vs long gun for CQB' myth quite clearly.

As one who's home has been burglarized, while I, my wife, three daughters and our beagle, were asleep upstairs, I have investigated sounds downstairs, in the middle of the night. Without thinking about it, With weapon in hand, I go downstairs, turning on every light, including those outside, not already activated by motion detectors.

Back