Preferred carry revolver poll

Which do you revolver shooters prefer?

• Service size 357 mag any make

Votes: 27 18.6%
  • Snub 38 5 shot

Votes: 44 30.3%
  • Snub 357 5 shot

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • 3 to 5 inch big bore revolver 44 mag or 45 colt 10mm ext.

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • big bore 5 shot snub

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 6 or 7 shot snub in 38 357

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Big revolvers with Barrels longer than 5 inches

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Single action revolvers

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters
Well, I voted for the single action revolver. Someone had to. I have a Clements Custom .44 Special built on a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk that has pretty close to spoiled me for any other sixgun. I have several other sixgun projects in the works, and most of them are going to wind up on his doorstep. At the rate I am going, I will probably put his kids through college....:rolleyes:

SP101 loaded with 38+p hydrashoks in a fanny pack +
2 Safariland speedloaders also with hydrashoks
(1 w/+p, 1 w/ .357 mag)

Lookit how many people are carrying .38/.38+P in a 2" barrel...

Whether the gun is .38 or .357 is almost irrelevent, except I like how that one guy with the SP101 has both calibers in one each speedloaders :).

More seriously, there's still no "perfect answer" in a load for these!!! The pure lead hollowpoints are the best of a bad situation but even then, expansion is gonna be iffy from a 2". The Nyclad 125+P has serious possibilities but it's harder than hell to find.

We need a load designed from the ground up as a 2" specialty fighting round.

I have a hunch that the right answer is to use the 124grain Federal E-FMJ from the 9mm (or .357Sig?), sized a hair fatter and thrown out on top of a carefully plotted +P charge tuned for 2" barrels. Get that load moving at 900fps or more, 1,000 if possible, and you'll really have something. Problem is, Federal typically goes very conservative on the powder charges...that's part of what holds the Nyclads back. If they could just get that 125 moving faster...

Remington is more willing to make a big bang for any given caliber, but their projectile tech is second-rate.

For God's sake, *somebody* has to develop a solid 2" solution eventually. The lack is just idiocy...

I liked jrp's choice, I wonder why the +P in 38 over 357mag. though. Is that just to get the velocity up in a snubnosed barrel? You can tell I'm a rookie with wheelguns. All I have now is a .22mag. snubby designed to induce a headache!:D
TF

Justin,

I like the silly thing. And with a set of Secret Service grips, it is actually easier to conceal than my Combat Commander. I do admit that you need a good gunbelt though, it is a heavy beast.

In my job I'm really limited as to what I can carry, so I carry a Beretta 21, or a Keltec P-32 in a fanny pack. When Its hot I carry my Bodyguard in a Uncle Mikes inside the pants holster with Corbons.
In the winter my 686, bodyguard, glock, P-12...whatever appeals that day.
Deep woods my M29 S&W or Taurus .44 mag with 300 gr artillery rounds.
I would like to get that Titanium in .45 Colt, or .44 Spec. for around town.
later
DA

Why do I keep participating in these polls?

357sigfan--

Now shall you start a poll on WHICH BRAND revolver?
And, one on type ammo? LRN, LSWC, JHP, FMJ, etc?
And then, which brand JHP is better for carry in what type, and what brand, revolver.

Guess I'm just a sucker for someone asking my opinion on ANYTHING! ;)

Type: 2" lightweight
Brand: Colt or S&W
Model: Agent or M37 Airweight Chief
Ammo: +P LSWCHP, WIN or REM

Best,
Johnny

The revolver I carry is one of those much maligned Charter 2000 44 Special Bull Pug's (that's what it says on the barrel). It shoots okay and I'm not preparing for D-Day or the Tet Offensive. It's easily concealable in a Direct Action wrap-around the waist holster that I fit to the small of the back inside loose cotton shorts with a loose dark Polo shirt or dark T-shirt untucked. It also fits pretty well in the back pocket of jeans when just puttering around. In the fall or winter it's just too easy to fit in jacket or vest pocket or a cheap Uncle Mike nylon holster under a loose shirt, sweater or sweatshirt. For pistols, my 15 yr old or better S&W 459 can be holstered similarly in the Direct Action holster. I know this doesn't fit the bill for some of the more accomplished pistoleros but it works fine for me.

My 940's not listed!

I often carry a 2" j-frame 9x19. Too bad I couldn't vote!

4 5/8" Blackhawk .41 often gets used in the wild. Black bears and cougars, don't you know.

Model 36 "J" frame. 5 shots and a speed loader. Nothing like irt when you go out late for the wifes cigarettes at the local stop and rob!:D

carry revolver

While I'm not entrusted (allowed by law) to carry in my state, I have *ahem* forgotten, (yeah, that's it, ;) ) that I had my three-inch small-frame five-shot .38 in my pocket or waistband. Not really a snub, but close enough for polling purposes.

Carry Revolver

On those occasions when I find myself carrying a revolver, it is the Taurus M605 loaded with 125gr Quik Shoks.:)

Back