Preference for cold weather hunting apparel

Base layer is Filson Merino Wool long johns. Chamois Shirt and Pants. Waterproof and insulated Browning Overalls, Parka, and Gloves. Have hunted in 25 with a 25mph wind in the open and only my nose got cold.

about cotton, wool and fleece

I wear a lot of cotton in moderate weather (early archery deer and spring gobbler) chamois, flannel, and so on, but cotton is near worthless as serious cold/wet weather apparel. There was a nickname for cotton in the SAR world.....death cloth.

The toss up is between wool and fleece. Both are very good insulators, wool has an edge in warmth once wet. Fleece's edge over wool is that it dries out very quickly and will regain full insulating capability much quicker. Wool stays wet longer, and it can get very heavy depending on the thickness of the garment, but it will still insulate fairly well, which is why it remains a staple. Neither fleece nor wool, unlined or backed, will do well in the wind w/o some type of wind breaking shell garment .

I have two pairs of Korean War era OD wool trousers, that are actually big enough to fit me (not to many 260 lb privates), when you can find them they run to small sizes. I've worn them alot over twenty years, and they show little wear. You couldn't buy them from me. With some type of poly layer under them, sometimes two, they do fine in our climate. I also picked up an unlined camo wool jacket, Columbia mfg maybe, and I am quite tickled with it as well.

While I'm at it, an old GI split tail parka shell works very well over fleece or wool as a windbreak, and sprayed with some type of aerosol treatment, well shed water a bit too.

On wet or cold windy days --- Gore Windstopper outer layer clothing & a warm pullover hoodie.

Chemical body warmers

A pair of polypropylene inner wicking socks under heavy socks, polypro underwear & longjohns.

Food to keep me warm, including periodic tightening & relaxing most of my body muscles.

I plan on getting out this Thursday and Friday for the first time this season… Which will be the tail end of the season consequently. Temps Will be in the low to mid 20s during the early morning hours....Higs in the mid 30s during the day. I’ll go with my usual oldschool polypropylene underneath and military surplus Wool trousers and shirt for outer garments.
A nice insulated winter coat that’s waterproof With many pockets that I bought at Montgomery Wards 30 years ago.

My ~30F outfit is long underwear, insulated pants, a wool shirt, medium wool sweater, bibs, a coat, and a cowboy hat. When things get down into the teens I add a pair of fleece sweatpants, a heavy Filson wool vest, move up to a heavy wool sweater and pull heavy fleece balaclava around my neck so it comes up to my ears. Still going with the cowboy hat.

I'll sit until lunch. I like to change boots and socks after lunch otherwise my feet get cold in the evening. Same with gloves. My hands sweat in gloves even when their cold.

The bibs make a HUGE difference. If you don't have a set, get some.

2nd the bibs. Whether it’s a $400 pair or a $50 pair, having that torso coverage makes a huge difference somehow. Apparently we lose a lot of heat in that top/bottom waist/kidney junction. Double points if you can situate some Hot Hands in that area too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back