Prefered round for defense in 9 mm

Pthfndr

Right now I carry Speer Lawman 115 gr. FMJ and practice with reloads of the same type. What is the round of choice for every day carry for that "just in case" moment? This would be for use in a Beretta 92fs

[This message has been edited by Pthfndr (edited January 10, 2000).]

Right now I have 9mm 124 grain Remington Golden Sabers loaded into my primary weapon.
The backup is loaded with 150 grain Eldorado Starfire .357 Mag.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

I prefer the 124 grain Hydra shoks. That is with a kel-tec P11. If I were carrying a full size gun with a barrel of 4" or more, it would be 147 grain golden saber or gold dot

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

124 grain +p Hydrashoks.

As an aside, whatever pistol I happen to be carrying, I use the heaviest bullet that will still do 4 digits coming out of the barrel.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited January 10, 2000).]

Hello. In standard pressure rounds, the WW 115 gr Silvertip has the highest velocity as does ProLoad (I think) with their EXP load, which is just below +P pressure levels. That said, I prefer either Federal's 124 gr Nyclad HP or their 115 gr JHP. In +P, I go with Triton 115 gr HP or their 124 gr JHP. Even though they are slightly less destructive, I tend to like the 124gr JHPs best in that they do penetrate a bit deeper than the 115s for a possible transverse shot. I don't care for the 147 gr approach at all, but many here do.
Best.

Greetings Pthfndr

I would give the smart advice "Whatever feeds most reliably in your pistol."

However, since you've already mentioned the ultra reliable Beretta 92fs , my advice might be "Whatever groups the tightest and to the point of aim in your pistol."

Any factory JHP of 115 grains or more should be your starting point. Once you discover what you like best, buy as many boxes as possible from that same lot.

Remember that there are always tradeoffs. Clean burning or low muzzle flash? Penetration or expansion? Think realistically of your concerns and possible needs. You may want to use different loads at different times because of penetration concerns for example. Mountain hiking or home defense?

Beretta makes a great pistol. The 9mm Parabellum is a top choice for self defense. Enjoy the "My gun and load are best arguments" but don't worry yourself sick over your choice. If you were carrying a Bryco .380, then we might have to converse a bit more.

Now for my personal preferences, 115gr +P or +P+ JHP. It worked for the ISP for several years and cycles reliably during weak hand shooting. The Remington 124 grain +P Golden Saber should be worth a try. The Winchester 115gr Silvertip is good even in the standard pressure loading. I just bought a couple boxes of Federal 147 grain +P+ Hydra Shoks in .38 Special. I tend to avoid heavy bullet weights in the 9X19 though, especially the subsonics, because of cycle reliablity concerns. I have fired them out of my 92 without a single problem however. I would strongly recommend the +P loadings in this weight. As for the exotics, the Triton Quik-Shok seems to be a decent compromise and the MagSafe SWAT load is specifically designed to break up in walls and other building materials.

There are so many loads for the nine, I probably overlooked some very good ones. Have fun experimenting. Tactics and mindset are more important than which hollowpoint you choose anyway. :)

Anything in the defence catagory would work. Since I am not that familiar with the particulars of your gun make sure the manufacturer will cover the warrenty if you use +P or +P+.

I prefer a 115 gr. hollow point for personal defense, either Black Hills Ammunition or CorBon. Having fired a great deal of each, find them very reliable. I train with 115 gr. FMJ. The Plus P loading to the HP rounds helps insure cycle of operation will always be there.

Kilroy...
...was here

[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited January 10, 2000).]

In a Beretta 92FS? I'd choose any of the 147gr JHP cartridges:

Remington Golden Saber
Winchester Silvertip or Supreme SXT
Gold Dot (loaded by Speer, ProLoad or Georgia Arms)
Federal HydraShok

Out of a 5 inch barrel, the 147gr JHP performs superbly. You want .45 ACP 230gr JHP like performance out of your Beretta? Go with 147gr JHP and forget the rest.

Desire a lighter bullet weight? Use a standard velocity 124gr JHP cartridge. +P loads aren't necessary for your Beretta. They give you increased recoil and muzzle flip for no gain in wounding potential.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Pthfndr-I use either the CorBon 115 +P or Federal 9BP loads. Federal Nyclad's are nice, also. Consider reliability, accuracy, and recoil sensitivity when you research your loads for you and your firearm. I like the recoil with the CorBon load and the 9BP load is generally the most accurate load out of MY guns. Practice with the cheaper FMJ loads for the majority of your training, but you need to fire some of the defense ammo to stay familiar with it.

Steve

I use Tritons 125gr. +p Hi Vel load, as this is what performs best out of my S&W 9mm. You just have to check to see what your particular firearm likes.

I have tried several 124gr JHP in my pistols but the Speer 124gr Gold Dot is the most reliable in my guns so I use it. If I cant find them I will use the 124gr Federal Hydra shoks...

Try the new Winchester "T" round that will be replacing the SXT soon. Better performance from shorter barrels, better penetration using the same SXT bullets.

Up until the snow claimed my shooting range, I was testing 9mm ammo. Pryor to last fall I had carried 147 gr.WIN SXT for several years because of it's fine accuracy out of my Glock. In a water test the bullet only expanded about 30% and lost it's jacket. At that same time for comparison I ran 124gr. Cor-bon's with really good results. Velocity was as advertised, accuracy simular to SXT, but the real difference was the bullet retained itself with a classic mushroom, sharp edges of metal jacket protruding out the sides. I had a picture of this bullet on another gun page back them............I called Cor-bon to order more 124gr. and they talked me into going with the higher velocity 115gr instead. So the jury is still out for me until spring when I can do more testing.

Greetings, I was able to acquire a few 9m/m
rounds that are in common use by the United
States Secret Service. They appear to be
nothing more than Federal's Hydra-Shok; and
I'm not sure of the weight of the bullet.
Anyhow, I use these in all my 9m/m's that
I carry for CCW use. :eek: My back up load
for more serious business is of course the
infamous Winchester 147 grain "Black Talon".
Only would use these in an extreme life or
death situation; because I am well aware of
the consequences of such use!!! :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 01-10-00

Triton 115gr or 124gr depending on the season. Have found both to be really reliable and they function flawlessly.

Be Safe
Mike

I carry the Federal 115 +P+ 9BPLE in my 239's and Golden Saber 124 in my MK9 . I would say carry what ever is the most reliable and accurate , if you hit your target most good Hollow points will do their job . Good luck , Mike...

I carry home grown, goodies, they seem to group a little better than some of the more common load and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg for bullets, second i can shoot these as practice load and keep my skill up. I use new brass, Hornaday XTP hollow points 115gr with 4.9 of powder win231, shoot great just a tad more kick than standard yet group 1 inch tighter for me. and only 5.50 a box to make. happy hunting.

Gunrunner:
Here is something to think about. I recently took a basic NRA pistol class and one of the questions was what ammo to use for Personal protection. The instructor recomended NOT to use reloads for defense because if you end up in court you could be labeled a fanatic because "factory defense loads were not good enough for you". I never thought of it that way but the one thing I don't want to be labeled is a fanatic when I am trying to validate shooting someone in a defense situation. Something to think about.

Back