Precision Shooting

My newly acquired Tikka T3x CTR is sure precise and accurate!
IMG_0027.png
[/URL][/IMG]

you'll end up with a million answers to that question. personally there's accurate, competition accurate, hunting accurate, and "good nuff fer critters"

I personally consider a rifle accurate if I can shoot under an inch group regularly at 100 yards.

I consider a rifle extremely accurate if it can regularly shoot under 1 inch, but I'm not exactly capable of that control so I've never had an extremely accurate rifle.

then there's hunting accurate, generally this is a gun that I wouldn't use for long range application, but as long as I can hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards, that's a 4 inch group at 200 and is usually the maximum distance I'll shoot when hunting.

critter accurate is basically 4 inch at 100 yards and is only really effective at close range for varmints and the like.

then you also have to consider the difference between precision and accuracy. precision is the ability to shoot the same area repeatedly, accuracy is the ability to hit the general area that you want it to, you can be precise by shooting a dime 5 times, but that dime can be 2 feet to the left of your target and still be considered precision shooting. likewise you can shoot the same piece of paper that you were aiming at, but none make it on the bullseye, that's accurate but without a high degree of precision.

A rifle match can be based on group size or score. Seems logical that if a rifle will group 1/8", moving the point of impact into the X ring should be the easy part.

This one made me happy:

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/hvap90/media/Shooting/Nov208.jpg.html?sort=3&o=37

Aiming point is the center of the square and the bull is my 100 yd POI for a 300 yard zero IIRC. Wish I could do that every time.

I have a 100yd target somewhere that my Dad shot. Just one shot. It has a little bit of fly guts around the bullet hole. It was not entirely a fluke.

Between my Dad, his Rem 40X and fine crosshair Lyman scope, that fly had about a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:
Always try to aquire rifles that:rolleyes: you know are able to shoot sub MOA, after that is up to you to shoot them sub MOA!

Always wondered how the bench rest guys measure groups that are smaller than the bullet diameter. Jim Carmichel broke the 1973 record with the .1322" group in March 2012.

Measure outside to outside and subtract bullet diameter.....I believe the record small group is still .009 shot in the early 70's unless it has been beaten. I've scored thousands of targets in bench rest matches and we use calipers that have a specially fit adapter to directly measure groups.

I would consider a rifle, chambered in 22 long rifle, that shoots 1 1/2" m.o.a. @ 100 yards, to be a precision rifle.

Ya know, I doubt there are all that many precision rifle's in this country. Lot of very accurate rifles though. 1/2" at 100 yds is no great shakes for a lot of guy's but not precision by any means. You don't need a precision rifle for hunting, not even varmints! What you need is an accurate rifle. A 30-30 that shoot's 4" grou's at 100yds in the hands of someone that never shoot's at game over 50yds, is plenty accurate! Another that has a rifle that shoot's 1/2" from a bench rest but that looks for game over 500+yds, may or may not have a accurate rifle, depends on weather he's as goog as his rifle off sand bags, bet he isn't!

I used to be in the "precision rifle" business so to speak. In my game, putting a single bullet in the right spot was the top score.
There are so many variations of "precision" in the firearms world that this question will get a wide vista of responses. The firearm platform, shooting conditions, ammo available, and support stability are all factors in the definition of "precision".

Hitting where you aim is pretty good definition of precision.

Lots easier to achieve off the bench than offhand with only a sling. A good shot can shoot offhand.

shoot at a corner of the sighting box on a benchrest match target. Align your crosshair same place every time and concentrate on trigger press. Good ammunition matters.

Want to play the Match Game then you stress about group size.

in 1998, Howard Dietz of New Braunfels put a used 26" .308win PSS barrel on an old 700SA action I had from an early ADL. I put that action in a new H-S Precision police stock which was basically the PSS/VS stock of that era. With 168gr SMK using their accuracy load from book #3, and a Leup mk4 6x target dot in Badger Ord rings, that rig delivered consistent sub .4" 5shot groups at 100 and under .7" at 200. It is always windy ad Dietz gunrange and that day was no exception.

What is accurate? Shooting is almost boring when it's that accurate, but only once you achieve it.

What I want to do is to shoot like that using a sling from offhand w/o a shooting jacket.
Not terribly realistic though. But being able to deliver 5rds into 2' at 100yds offhand probably is. Mostly these days I just sight-in and hunt. Moose are pretty big targets.

Back